Author Topic: Is 512 MB enough for the Wii's Virtual Console?  (Read 9292 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Is 512 MB enough for the Wii's Virtual Console?
« on: September 19, 2006, 05:46:21 pm »
According to this, yes.  An interesting look at the estimates in space taken up by NES, Super NES, and N64 games.

It uses a lot of assumptions.  It doesn't factor in what else the space could be used for (Wii game saves), or the game libraries of the Genesis, TurboGrafx 16, and the rumoured others, but it's an interesting look at it nonetheless.

If you can save them on an SD card, then a 1 GB card might be enough.

Offline Revned

RE: Is 512 MB enough for the Wii's Virtual Console?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:12:55 pm »
You can get SD cards for dirt cheap nowadays. I got a 1 GB one for my camera for $20.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 06:38:03 pm »
NES images take very little space, even uncompressed.  You can fit thousands on a single CD.

Offline mephea

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 07:01:30 pm »
i plan on putting everything on a card or something. ill just use the onboard memory for saves.

i just hope the wiimote resembles the nes, snes and n64 controllers!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:37:28 am »
The WiiPointer (as it's apparently called) already resembles the NES controller, and if memory serves, the TurboGrafx 16 controller.  If they ever get Master System games too that should be adequate.

For the other systems there's a "classic controller".  I don't see why they couldn't have just put a Select button on a wireless N64 controller.  But maybe it has two analog sticks in case they can secure the rights to some PlayStation games?  (Depending on the rights, I don't think it's an impossibility - I mean, Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night is coming to Xbox Live Arcade, so why not?)