Author Topic: What the heck was that?  (Read 30424 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
What the heck was that?
« on: September 28, 2006, 09:01:43 am »
Exploit and Real Exploits...who were they?  Looks like they took control, did a few bans, and a couple other things.

Looks like we lost a few topics that were posted on yesterday.  Nothing major, except for maybe the controversial one, but that one was starting to get too hairy anyway.  I don't see the Mega Man Vs. Technos topic.  There may have been another one or two or three, but I'm sure it couldn't've been more than that.  Thankfully the SotN one is still intact.

From what I can see, some users' EXP and/or Gold are messed up, so far it seems to include myself, bustin98, Dan, DarkWolf, mephea, MagnetiC, and Revned.  I'll have to fix you guys up later...somehow.  I may unfortunately have to guess on how much you should have.  Not like you care at the moment, since you probably have more than you should.  I've also restored the banned people.

Any other damage?  Hopefully nothing else, and nothing permanent.

bustin98, did you manage to find and fix the exploits?

Let's not do this again.  Who would target VGMaps.com's forums for hacking?

Offline Blublu

RE: What the heck was that?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 09:05:28 am »
It's my curse. Whenever I get into a religious discussion, that topic will get deleted even if it is completely civil and polite.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 09:07:10 am »
That topic was getting pretty hairy.  Or pretty much on its way there.  I wasn't sure how to take your comments at the end.

I hope you're not serious.  Hacking's not cool.

Offline Blublu

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 09:14:40 am »
??

I didn't hack the site, if that's what you're getting at.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 09:16:00 am »
Maybe I wasn't in a joking mood at that moment.  It feels kind of violating to casually go into your own site only to find yourself banned and some things being screwed with.

Offline Blublu

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 09:22:38 am »
Yeah, okay, sorry. I was not being serious, by the way. I don't even believe in curses. :P

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 09:23:52 am »
That's right, you wouldn't.  :P

Where's anyone else's take on this?  I unbanned everyone!  Where's bustin98?

Offline Revned

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 09:45:25 am »
Heh, I'm rich! Actually, my gold was sitting at about 2900, and my EXP was about 4 behind Terra.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 10:01:01 am »
I'm here and yeah, I noticed the hacker's threads this morning. It must be nice to be such a loser that the only way to get attention is to hack a tiny little board using someone else's tools (thus not being an accomplishment at all) and then ban everyone so that you don't even have anyone to pay attention to you!?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 10:07:53 am »
I've been getting the now-usual emails about VGMaps.com about to go over bandwidth for the month again, so if the whole site goes down for the next couple days, don't worry as that would probably be why, and not due to some hacker.

bustin98 has mentioned to me that he is aware of the exploit and is at work on it.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 10:10:07 am »
Hey, I'm here. Just working on getting a different forum. Actually an update to the one Inty decided to use. It does not contain the exploit that was used.

I'm not sure how it is an exploit, either. Its just there. I can get rid of it just be removing the changing themes, though.

I'll let you all know where the new forum is once its working. I won't make any changes to the database, so no lost messages.

I only got rid of one topic that had the Exploit dude in it. I didn't even read it, sorry guys.

The other missing topics, I haven't a clue. I'll take a lookie in the database though.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 10:36:28 am »
There wasn't really anything in the one topic by the Exploit guy.  At least the only one that I saw.  Something about "fapping".  o_0  Then there was another post of his that got modded before I even saw it, which I assume you modded, bustin98, since you're the only other one with moderator status.  Then he said something about "that'll teach you to imp me" using another name, "Real Exploits".  Strange topic overall.

I made a topic under a new username, but I'm assuming that he deleted that one since I was saying something about him or asking for help or something.

I vaguely recall that there were other topics that are now missing, but I'm guessing they're only ones that were posted really recently, as the last posts still here before all this are already really recent.  I don't imagine there would be many, but they might be nice to have back if they were by new users, which I think one or two may have been.

But thank goodness the SotN one wasn't messed up.  It's one thing to lose a couple small topics, but to lose a big one relevant to work on a project...that would've sucked.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 11:06:23 am »
I haven't imported any topics or users, but I have a quicky running at https://www.vgmaps.com/gf++/

There ARE bugs in it. Why the heck would someone release code that didn't work?

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 11:10:38 am »
I found two topics of mine when I checked out my moderated messages.  Perhaps everyone should do the same, to see if any were modded by Exploit.  I think if you contest them, maybe I'll be able to bring them back?  Or is only Exploit capable of doing that?

bustin98, are you able to import themes and avatars and everything else we need for that to look like these forums?

And I hope if and when you do attempt a transfer, you'll be smarter than Inty and back things up just in case.  I don't want these forums to gain a reputation of rebooting every few months.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 11:12:14 am »
Things are fixed and that guy got his point across. I'll work on a fix, but it may be slow going. I have alot of actual work to do, and I just moved my home office into a new office out of the house so there is some transition stuff I have to get straightened out. But keep on the lookout for announcements.

---

Cool beans