Author Topic: Dune - The Battle for Arrakis (Genesis)  (Read 27064 times)

Offline Botmechtron

Dune - The Battle for Arrakis (Genesis)
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:52:16 pm »
Hello all and thanks for the fascinating maps!

Has anyone planned making "Dune - The Battle for Arrakis" maps for each mission? Darkwolf? :)

Offline DarkWolf

RE: Dune - The Battle for Arrakis (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:11:43 pm »
I know of the game, but I've never played it.  I suppose I can look into it when I get a chance.

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 05:46:02 am »
Darkwolf, I used your hacking guide and found out something:

Size of level 1 in tiles: 32x32

Level data begins at adr. hex: 9520

I hope that helps. :)

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 01:35:46 pm »
I have hacked a Gens savestate with all relevant tiles organized in 16x30 area. This is as far as I can get, because I'm having trouble with slicing the tiles to individual files and I can't create scripts of any kind. If someone wants to continue from here, I can send you the savestate. Darkwolf? Anyone? :)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 01:41:51 pm »
If you send me a save state and the image with the tiles I can write a script for you and you can take it from there.  Otherwise it may have to wait since I still have Alex Kidd to finish.

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 08:12:43 am »
Apparently the user experience reguired for PM has changed, so I can't answer any messages. :P

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 09:27:40 am »
That's stupid.  I'll PM bustin (since obviously you can't) and get that fixed up.

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 06:23:27 am »
Wow, thanks for the script DarkWolf! It took me about 20 minutes to make all 27 maps. :)

Now, there's more to do. I wonder what might be the best way to add the troops to the maps. I could make savestates that show the exact position of all the troops. Then someone with more experience in image editing could take screenshots and paste them to the full maps. Alternatively, if I can have the correct images of all units, I could paste them individually to the maps.

Heh, there's a very minor problem with the large maps. Even though the data for the large levels is stored in 64x64 tiles, the actual playing area that the player can see in the game is 62x62 tiles. I can't understand why they made the levels that way. (The 32x32 levels have no extra data beyond the play area.) It might be a good idea to cut the outer tiles away in the final version to make it look authentic (62x62 tiles).

Oh, I was wrong with the map sizes. There exist only 32x32 and 64x64 maps, none of them is 48x48.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 01:10:44 pm »
Pasting the troops in the maps shouldn't be too hard.  But if you want someone else to do it you can send the images and save states to me and I can try to finish them off.

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 02:33:06 pm »
I'll bet you could do it much faster and more reliably than I. Also, I think if you do the rest of it, the credits for making the maps are all yours. In any case, I'll send the current map images and all savestates for you to see.

The objects that are missing from the maps are:

- Player troops & enemy troops

- Sand worms (shown as piles of sand)

- The colored lights on the buildings that indicate who owns the building (this is not so necessary for the maps, but it's probaqbly easy to do)

Hmm.

For all levels, the player troops fit in one screen, so that's easy.

In some of the early levels, there are enemy troops that are moving from the very beginning, so it's enough to get their position approximately.

For full view of the levels, you can type LOOKAROUND in the password screen during the game. Disabling the foreground graphics layer in Gens works too, but may not show the building lights.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 02:41:33 pm »
Sounds good, just let me get a link to the files and I'll try to finish them up.

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 02:57:56 pm »
I can't PM the link to you, but just add "2" to the previous link you got. Good luck! :)

Me too thinks this sounds good!

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 08:51:59 am »
Looks good, very good. I'm glad that my request was answered so quickly. :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 12:09:03 pm »
Nice, though I can't believe I didn't notice before now that your were mapping the Genesis version. It looks so much worse than the PC one :(

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)