Author Topic: Dune - The Battle for Arrakis (Genesis)  (Read 27071 times)

Offline DarkWolf

RE: Dune - The Battle for Arrakis (Genesis)
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 01:19:38 pm »
I didn't even know there was a PC version.  Maybe I can do it later.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 01:36:15 pm »
One of the first real-time strategy game to make it really big back in the days. Done by Westwood Studios, it had a very good FM soundtrack for the days.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 10:25:07 am »
They're up today.

The PC Version is called Dune II: The Battle Of Arrakis.  Grrr...  I don't like it when titles are changed only slightly.  I'm guessing there was an earlier Dune game on the PC, but why couldn't they retain the II on the Genesis one?

Dune is one of those things that I have no idea what it is, but I'm sure some of you would insist that I watch the movie or read the book or something.  All I presume is it's some sci-fi thing on a desert planet.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 08:12:05 pm »
Well, the first book in the series is a definite read ("Dune") but I never found any of the sequels to even come close to live up to it. The David Lynch movie should be seen if only for the incredible visual (for the time) but the story is really incoherent. I've heard that the SciFi Channel miniseries is much better in the story department, and it's available on DVD.

As for the first game, it's a strange mix of adventure and real-time strategy with a bit of resource management on top. The music for the time was incredible at any rate. What's weird is that the first Dune game was released on the Sega CD, so the second game had every reason in the world to keep the II in the title.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Botmechtron

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 06:05:28 am »
Congratulations for finishing the project. Good work!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 09:21:24 am »
A rare instance of someone requesting maps, someone promising to do it a day later, and fulfilling that promise in less than two months.  Hooray!  And for a game that's not particularly well-known (I think), too.

Of course, I still rarely expect requests to be fulfilled just because of the work involved and that this whole site is still somewhat niche.  But it seems like when it comes to Genesis games, that's DarkWolf's specialty.  Good job!

Offline Zeric

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 11:56:26 pm »
When I first heard about this project I thought it was the first game, the one TerraEsperz is mentioning, not the second one,

Congratulations for finishing the game, it's one of my favorite.
Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800 - Final Stage) Mega Man X2 (SNES Sigma 2)

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA - 83%)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 10:07:14 am »
Mapping the first Dune game would quite an accomplishment, considering that there's little to map! Oh sure, you have the Atreides Castle, a few Harkonnen fortresses and close to a hundred different Sietchs, but aside from the castle, they only have 4 or 5 rooms at most.

What was cool about that game is that the planet map was a fully spherical 3D map that rotated, and like planet Earth, that makes it almost impossible  to map without distorting it in some way. Shame really.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)