Author Topic: Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin (DS)  (Read 41986 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin (DS)
« on: October 23, 2006, 02:48:38 pm »
Sweet!

I thought it was just a soundtrack CD before but it also includes a 48-page artbook, a stylus, a DS game case, and a timeline poster.

Since there are lots of Castlevania fans here I thought I'd point this out.  It's also a pretty good pre-order bonus...haven't seen a good one for a while.

Offline Revned

RE: Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin (DS)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 03:12:33 pm »
Ordered :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 03:33:32 pm »
I suppose there's no way to order that soundtrack CD separately, right?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 03:44:08 pm »
As I said on the Planet GameCube forums...

"Holy water! When I first heard about this elsewhere, I just heard about the soundtrack CD and was, like, meh... Castlevania music is pretty good but a lot of it's been remixed to death.

The artbook sounds sweet, though. And the carrying case and stlyus might be cool. The fancy wax-sealed box makes this really sound like it could be a hot collectible set. I might be cross if I miss out on this.

Is it true about Circle Of The Moon and the two N64 games being axed from the official Castlevania timeline? That timeline thing might be neat for like two minutes...then later as a reference, but not for long since they'll keep making more games.

(Ummm...dagger. Yeah.)"

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 08:03:17 pm »
Jon, I've been quiet for too long. I have to ask you now, why do you insist on capitalizing the 'v'? Is there a single canonical source that capitalizes it? I'll grant that the old logo looks like it could be capitalized, but the new logo has it obviously in lowercase.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 08:15:24 pm »
It's a habit I have.  Obviously they've done something with the V in most games, and being a visual person (you know, like how I can't fathom why people can't see that Game Boy is clearly two words or when movie or game titles use Roman numerals and hate when people refer to them with a number) I can't NOT write it with a capital V.

Now I'm not sure what it should be and it doesn't feel right either way.  It's the whole "damned if I do, damned if I don't" kind of thing.  Well, on a smaller scale of course.  Do you know how long it took for me to separate Star Fox into two words?  Especially when it seemed like Nintendo themselves don't know sometimes.

I just hope that other people aren't as anal as me and don't mind that I have it as a capital if it's not supposed to be.  >_>

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 08:22:55 pm »
Hey JonLeung, if that CD really doesn't interest you, we could make a bargain or something...

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 08:28:32 pm »
Fair enough, Jon, as long as you don't edit any of my posts to "fix" it anymore ;)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 09:02:29 pm »
If you look under "screenshots", and look at the fifth picture which shows the timeline, you can actually read the entries...except for most of the center part because of the angle between the folds.

However, if you look carefully above the fold, you'll see three games with no description...and they look like Circle Of The Moon, Legacy Of Darkness, and 64 - the three games I feared were axed.  Looks like they just don't care enough about them to write a description.

But look!  They say 64 (when they game shouldn't), and 2 IIs (they really should've specified the consoles of each game - one of the IIs is a Game Boy game), and they forgot the III in Dracula's Curse!  Grrr...

Offline mephea

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 06:48:55 am »
holy crap onnastick  i gotta go preorder this when i get paid...omg

Offline Revned

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 11:13:23 am »
Hmm, yesterday when I pre-ordered at EBGames.com it was listed at $39.99. Today it's at $34.99 and my bill hasn't changed. I emailed them, so hopefully I can get the lower price. You'd think they'd let you cancel an order so soon after submitting it, not to mention weeks before the game is released.

Offline Revned

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 02:49:51 pm »
Grr.... After three emails they finally told me it the lowered price would be reflected when they actually shipped it to me. Meanwhile, my credit card got lost and I had to cancel it. I had my dad order it with his card, and the new, "low" price showed up on this bill. What they didn't tell me was that to counter the $5 decrease in price, they had upped the handling fee by $5. And, for some reason, the shipping was $3 more. Taxes and all, it came to $50. Yeah, like I'm going to pay $15 just for shipping, handling and tax on a $35 item. I canceled that one too. The worst part is, their online billing system wasn't showing me the real price I'd be billed and I would have ended up having to pay $10 more than I thought I would had I not placed the second order. I'll try to pre-order it in a local store, but they might have too many orders by now.

Offline mephea

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 02:08:39 pm »
i reserved my copy.  muwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  cant wait til december.  FF12 and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.  If i get guitar hero 2 ill be just fine for the year (i give up on the idea of having a wii for a while =( )

Offline Revned

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 03:02:23 pm »
I just went to the local store and reserved it. Hopefully I'll get the bonus, they said once they get them it's first come, first serve.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 05:48:54 pm »
If nobody feels it's against the rules here (we never really had any, but who knows), here's a link taken from The Castlevania Dungeon that will lead you to a zip file of the entire Portrait Of Ruins soundtrack in MP3 format (so those of you with the soundtrack CD, you can stuff it ;P). It's on FilePlanet though, so you'll need an account either with them or IGN.

Grab them here.

Incidently, I like the music a lot, though some tunes don't sound as good as their fully-mixed MP3 versions (the Dungeon had them several months back, and of course the DS audio hardware can't compete in terms of quality). There are also a fair number of remixes of previous CV tunes if you can recognize them :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)