Author Topic: From the VGMaps.com vault - it's the VGMaps.com mascot!  (Read 7761 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
From the VGMaps.com vault - it's the VGMaps.com mascot!
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:24:21 pm »
I can't believe I've been sitting on this for a year.

Last year, while working on the Jan. 1, 2006 redesign of the site, I tossed around the idea of a mascot character that would show up on pages and say randomized things, like to check out particular maps or visit the forums or store.  It would also be a possible character that I could put on a shirt once he became "established".  I nixed the idea, not just because I didn't feel the time was right, not just because I didn't think it was superfluous, but mostly because I couldn't quite get his design right.

Yes, I made this at work since it was the slow season (as it is again).  Yes, I did it in Excel for some bizarre reason.  I've finally emailed the file to my home address so that I can share him with you.

User posted image

He's supposed to be an adventurer a la Indiana Jones but he turned out into something like Link from A Link To The Past (note the green clothes and purplish hair) but with a red backpack.  Though he has Wind Waker Link's face.  Or rather Bomberman's eyes.  I wanted him to be expressive through simple edits, like how Mega Man sprites are.  No, he doesn't have a name.  I was going to introduce him as a platforming hero from a forgotten NES game (similar to Duck Tales, I kept imagining) which would be an April Fools' Month set of maps.

(We should discuss Maps Of The Month, actually.  Start brainstorming some ideas.  Though I'm happy with how this year's turned out, it could have been less rushed and had more interest.)

What do you think of the unnamed mascot?  Yeah, he needs a lot of work if we could ever expect him to appear in the purpose with which he was conceived.

Offline Revned

RE: From the VGMaps.com vault - it's the VGMaps.com mascot!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 09:44:35 pm »
Meh, I don't like mascots. Looks pretty cool, though. Better than I could do.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 11:47:02 am »
No offense, but he looks like Cartman from South Park >_>

---

Creator of over 420 maps on GameFAQs. ^_^
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:44:17 am »
I wouldn't take offense if VGMaps.com was as popular as South Park.

(Though I wouldn't want the controversy and would rather have increasing popularity than decreasing.  I don't hear people caring about South Park as much these days, certainly a lot less than when the show was new.)