Keith Courage in Alpha Zones [Majin Eiyuuden Wataru]

Started by TimbreWulf, October 08, 2026, 02:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TimbreWulf

I worked with the US version since that's the one I'm familiar with. I remember some old magazines had maps for some of the stages (forgot which one) but was surprised it's not available online.

I mapped each stage over the last couple of days.

I'm not familiar with the submission process.

Since it won't let me upload a zip, I'll post them here.






TimbreWulf

Thanks for everything. Now I know I can just post and it will get handled.

I wasn't aware there was such a request list. I'm shocked none of the Bonk's adventures are done yet. I may put it on my next to do list. I don't remember the stages being particularly large.

JonLeung

#6
Well, I would still prefer that the maps get emailed to me.  The email address can be found on the main page on the left side where it says "CONTRIBUTE", then just replace the "(at)" with a "@".

Bonk's Adventure for the NES has been mapped by Dan_, and Bonk's Adventure: Arcade Version (that's really the name of the game) for the arcade is currently being mapped by George s (a level at a time, and we literally got another one today).
(I find it funny that there's a game called Bonze Adventure that is totally unrelated but it also stars a bald guy, but it's a monk, not a caveman.  Calling it "Monk's Adventure" would also be funny.)

But yeah, you can see on my shortlist of the 24 games that VGMaps.com surprisingly didn't have mapped by its 24th anniversary that your recently-mapped Keith Courage In Alpha Zones and Bonk's Adventure made the cut, representing the TurboGrafx 16.  I mean, it's the pack-in game and the mascot game!  Come on!

So if you are interested in doing the Bonk games on TurboGrafx 16, or any of the other requests in my personal requests topic, please consider doing so!

I didn't have a TurboGrafx 16 growing up, but my cousin did, and so my brother and I played a lot of Final Lap Twin on it when we visited them in 1993.  This console took a back seat to the Super NES and Sega Genesis (certainly in North America, and with less than 100 games), but as I love the 8- and 16-bit era, it's a still mostly-untapped well of potential retro maps that I would love to see more of here.  Besides the four games I specifically requested, it would be nice to see more of whatever are considered the iconic, must-play games for the TurboGrafx 16, because I'm not sure what they are, to be honest, but I feel that if even Bonk's Adventure hasn't been mapped, then there must be more!

(Oh, yeah, my brother did get me a TurboGrafx 16 Mini last Christmas.  I should probably play more on it besides Ys: Book I & II, heh.  If only a second controller wasn't separate and expensive...)

Cyartog959

Quote from: TimbreWulf on Yesterday at 01:18:17 AMThanks for everything. Now I know I can just post and it will get handled.

I wasn't aware there was such a request list. I'm shocked none of the Bonk's adventures are done yet. I may put it on my next to do list. I don't remember the stages being particularly large.

Well, have a good time! There's much to chart out.

Once you map the Bonk games from start to finish, we'll completely see how... *ahem* ..."large", to quote, they seemed to be, compared to other later games, even those that supersede them in size.

To be honest, there's not been a new Bonk game in a very, very long time, not counting the mobile phone games, one of which is a redoing, called "Bonk's Return". Especially since we nearly had a new one, "Brink of Extinction", that's supposed to be for WiiWare, PSN, XBLA and 3DS.

Not to mention I read that there was going to be a "Bonk IV", but it was formerly set to be an RPG. Thankfully, it didn't get launched; I'd prefer it to be a platformer.

As far as we know, Konami holds Bonk's IP rights, not that I'm versed in that matter, and as with others form Hudson Soft's absorption, they've been in complete stagnation without a new entry for too long.

The one problem was with in making a new Bonk game in the vein of TurboGrafx's style, but unbound by tech limits that no longer applies, is that nobody thought there were tools needed and made to create Bonk games that continues the caveman's fights against the evil King Drool, and others. We do have them, including Aseprite and Furnace, which is more than what we need to create the authenticity we've been wanting.

Well, I'm sure you'll do well in your mapping contributions.