Author Topic: Prince of Persia (NES) - and other maps  (Read 16549 times)

Prince of Persia (NES) - and other maps
« on: May 16, 2007, 06:08:50 am »
Hello there,

I'm a new comer, a Chinese mapper, starting to make the maps of Prince of Persia (NES), a very classical adventure game. The game is divided into 14 levels, the first two maps have been finished at present.

By the way, till now, I have made several game maps as follows:

NES

G.I.JOE - A Real American Hero

River City Ransom

Downtown Special - Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou

Kick Master

Faxanadu

Wai Wai World

Uncharted Waters

The Goonies

Majin Eiyuu Den Wataru Gaiden

Castlevania - Circle of the Moon (GBA)

Saint Paradise (GB)

The maps "Uncharted Waters (NES)" and "Castlevania - Circle of the Moon GBA)" took me quite a lot of efforts, while the maps "River City Ransom" and "Faxanadu" having been compiled by others unfortunately.

I'm very glad to upload my work here and discuss the experience with each other in the forum. I have sent an email to the host Jonathan 6 days ago, and sent two messages to him in msn, strangely, getting no response. Any friend can help to explain it for me? Maybe I just didn't catch the submitting rules?

My homepage is: http://homepage.fudan.edu.cn/~sprays/fc/

All my work could be downloaded there. Should I post the detailed links of all pictures here, or send the maps to Jonathan's email? Waiting for your help, thanks!

Best Regards!

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Prince of Persia (NES) - and other maps
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 06:21:18 am »
Hi, and welcome to VGMaps Sprays! Unfortunately, JonLeung is quite busy right now right with his life and job, but he'll still reply if you give him enough time.

You can go ahead and submit those maps you did yourself by sending them by email and he'll put them on the site whenever he has the time (usually during the weekends).

As for that Circle Of the Moon map, I'm a bit jealous that someone finished it before me (I've been working on it on and off for a few years) but glad to see it done nonetheless. There's just a problem: it's not full-size and pixel-perfect! That map really deserves to be saved as a PNG so as not to lose any quality! Hope you still have the original around :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:44:05 am »
I'm sneaking a message across at work during a training session.  That's how busy I am.  It's actually fortunate that the forums have the same colour scheme (by default) as the new PeopleSoft system we implemented at work.  ;)

I guess I should've made a news post, but since last month, I've been working not only weekdays but also Saturdays as well, and also since last month, I've been going to church on Sundays, so it's inevitable that I would fall behind with no full day for myself anymore.  With so many submissions last week, I still had to put many on the back-burner, despite putting up as many as I had.

Anyways, welcome!  Glad to see an enthusiastic new mapper, I'll check them out and put them up when I get the chance.  Hope my tardiness doesn't put anyone off...

I did get some emails (which I hadn't looked at yet) and an MSN message (which I couldn't respond to), likely from you.  So likely you won't need to resubmit.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 12:17:54 pm »
This answers the question I asked yesterday.  I had some maps that didn't get uploaded either.  If there's anyway us regulars can help when you're busy, Jon, let us know.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 06:09:15 pm »
Now that I look at the Circle Of The Moon map, I am very impressed.  But like Terra said, if you have it as a 1:1 scale .PNG, that would be incredible!

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:51:32 am »
The original scale map is surely kept. Since GBA displays far more than 256 colours, the loseless map couldn't be saved as PNG-256 format, but PNG 24 bits colours. This makes the map quite big, nearly 18MB. Could your space handle so large a single file size? If not, I could split it into several areas, then every map will reduce to about 1MB. Anyway, you may make the decision.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 12:42:39 pm »
You could try running PNG-optimizing programs.  I like to use PNGGauntlet, with Brute Force compression turned on.  Granted, something of that size could potentially take a whole day to compress!

I could take the 18 MB file even if it can't get any smaller.  Though I do have a bandwidth limit, I haven't heard about it in months so I assume they've given me enough.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 08:47:08 pm »
I didn't put up the Circle Of The Moon map because I'm waiting for the high-res (or rather, 1:1 scale) one...

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 10:04:26 am »
The full map of

"the Circle Of The Moon" is done. The PNG is 18740KB, and is reduced to 16530KB by "advancecomp". I feel it works much better than PNGGauntlet. Some comparison of these two tools will be posted on the map-guide board.

The map link is:

http://rapidshare.com/files/33297815/cvcm_sprays.rar

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 07:34:27 pm »
Hmmm, but I can't view Circle Of The Moon's map...

Would running it under different optimizers affect its compatibility with certain browsers?

EDIT: Oh, never mind.  I can open it in Opera but not in IE.  As long as I can open it in something!  Maybe IE just doesn't like big .PNGs?

Thanks again, by the way.  I love Dracula's Castle...and getting this one only a month after the last one is awesome.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 06:44:37 pm »
Oh yeah, remind me to grab more of your maps...  :P

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 12:40:35 am »
Well, two weeks ago, I graduated from school and started my career life. I'm so excited to wait for this day's coming. On the other side, maybe the change will indicate that I will become busier and won't have too much leisure time to make maps, except for the weekend. However, it will slow down my map speed but never stop it:)

My recent update is the maps of "The Sims Bustin' Out" (GBA). I like The Sims 1&2 (PC) very much, and the GBA version as well. The beauty of the SimValley motivated me to map it out. I have a small question: What does the subtitle ?busting out? means? I couldn't catch its meaning in the game.

Since you have some issues for updating, take it easy, JonLeung. Hope your website will become more perfect!