Author Topic: Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (SNES)  (Read 38980 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »
Very nice looking maps vorpal86! It's always great to see another classic being mapped well. I'm curious to know the extent of the touch ups you did on that map for level 2. Do you think it could be possible to come up with a memory code to manipulate the position of the player's sprite in order to reach that area and fully map it? I used to guess or simply leave blank portions of maps in the past but now that I've gotten some basic skills in memory editing, I've become unable to leave things like that alone if I can help it.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 07:52:22 pm »
Hey.

The map of level two involved copying and pasting in the far right of the ship at the bottom. Here is a snap of what it looks like in Snes9x. Not sure if it'd look the same on a real snes using the gg codes for walk through the level without dying and invincibility. Not real sure about memory mapping. I like using my pixel art skills :)

http://www.imgjoe.com/x/imagemess.png
I assume it looks this way because you are not technically supposed to see this area.

Walking through the bottom of the level disables the level from crumbling the ship into the sea. I just used a few GG codes. I use to mess with the GG a way back when I used it on my real Snes. I just take the screen shots, past them in and touch them up if need be.

I simply saved several BG images with it's layer being the only visible layer to get the BG and tiled it once so it ends where the second part of the level starts without that BG.

GG codes need to be used together or the effect isn't the same.
Invincible
01D77B64

No Bounce1 - 01D80702
No Bounce2 - 01D822DB

A bit time consuming though.

How's level 2 at this point? Any things I should change or add?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:59:16 pm by vorpal86 »

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 09:49:05 pm »
There are a couple of spots I found in the Stage 2 map that you might want to correct. In blue, I've circled what seems to be places where the player sprite is either visible or seems to have been replaced with the color black. In red, I've indicated where enemies are still fully or only partially visible, all of them being ghosts except for a lonely possessed chest. If I *really* wanted to be nitpicky, I'd say that there's one spot in the second area where the transparent water layer isn't continuous but given how difficult this game is to map, feel free to leave it like that because I'm pretty sure not many people will even notice.

As for Stage 1, it seems like you simply removed the color black to allow the background to show behind the foreground. However, there are several spots where it shouldn't be visible, like the mouths of the skull totems and the inside of the hills with bars in front of them. Unfortunately, doing this one correctly would necessitate re-capturing the entire foreground while finding a way to replace the background color by something other than pure black since that color is also shared by the foreground. And if I knew a sure-fire way of doing that, I'd be mapping a lot more SNES games that I actually do  ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:51:52 pm by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »
Thanks for the tips.

I'll work on it soon. I had a wreck today and a bit stressed out now about my van. Can't really concentrate.

Offline Will

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 11:09:16 am »
Very good! As soon this stage is done, the whole game is mapped. Don't forget to resend your improved version of stage 1 which includes the rear background not shown before.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 12:47:07 pm »
Thanks for the tips.

I'll work on it soon. I had a wreck today and a bit stressed out now about my van. Can't really concentrate.

I hope it wasn't too serious. Were you injured?
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 11:28:31 am »

I hope it wasn't too serious. Were you injured?

No. Had two kids in the car and they were ok. Only my pocket book is gonna be injured. Waiting til Monday to see how much the damage is gonna cost.

I'll get those updates soon. Just chillin now playing some Harmony of Dissonance for GBA. Gonna use some maps here. We'll get them complete. I'm off Mon-Wed.