Author Topic: RE: The return of ReBoot!  (Read 10157 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: The return of ReBoot!
« on: August 10, 2007, 12:25:37 pm »
Sorry if this news is old...well, it's a couple weeks old...but ReBoot is making a comeback!

http://www.canada.com/topics/technology/story.html?id=7bde1da2-91e0-4ef2-8199-ed19256392f7

I think this may be like the Transformers movie topic...the biggest fans are me and TerraEsperZ so this topic will probably just become me and him back and forth all over again.

But the short of it is, ReBoot may be revived - sounds like it's underway according to this topic - Rainmaker (who bought Mainframe) is talking about a feature-length film trilogy (o_0) and a webcomic.

Hopefully one of those resolves the cliffhanger end of Season IV (or the second made-for-TV movie, My Two Bobs!, depending how you look at it).

But a trilogy...wow.  Even if it is direct-to-video, that sounds like a big deal to me.  The first one might not be for another two years...but you don't hear of many things coming back after about eight years.  (Well, the Metroid series did come back strong after seven and a half years.)

What do you think?  Do you care?  Indifferent?  Maybe I'll make a poll, I haven't made a new one in a while...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:25:39 pm »
As you can see at the following link, Rainmaker is working with Zero2Heroes to develop five potential directions for the new ReBoot:

http://live.zeros2heroes.com/content/view/87/118/

Of the five, only Regenerated is trying to continue the existing series instead of "reBooting", and only then by having it taking place after Megabyte has destroyed Mainframe... which doesn't bode well I'm afraid. But being personally disappointed by the direction and writing of the 4th season (well, mostly My two Bobs with emo-Dot and emo-Bob) and, I'm almost wish they'd just start over, especially if none of the original producers are involved.

All signs point to a new take on the series, and that could be good if they can manage a good story, great characters and great visuals. Directly continuing the 4th season after so many years would be disastrous I think since most people have moved beyond ReBoot in the mean time. Plus, with Tony Jay dead, Megabyte just wouldn't sound as good. Anyway, I'll post more more thoughts when I have the time.

By the way JonLeung, am I remembering wrong or did you say you weren't interested in ReBoot back when I was trying to get rid of my extra 4th season DVD?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 02:54:16 pm »
Actually, I wasn't interested in your ReBoot 4th season DVD specifically because I had shortly before your offer acquired one of my own.

I also thought My Two Bobs! wasn't that great, until the wedding, and then it was awesome, 'til the unresolved cliffhanger, that is.  I must enjoy dramatic wedding crashing with thought-to-be-dead villains...

I'll have to check out your link.  I'm wary about a "reboot" of ReBoot for some reason.  Maybe because of the incomplete ending and no closure to that, and it hasn't been long enough to say that it's like a ReBoot for another generation or something.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 07:39:18 pm »
People actually liked Reboot?  I really disliked the poor attempt to transform computer concepts into a cartoon.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 08:24:46 pm »
DarkWolf, don't tell me you're yet another one of those people who missed out on Seasons III and IV when there actually was a story arc...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 08:45:35 pm »
Maybe he just didn't like it, which is still possible, but I also think that you shouldn't judge the whole series on the basis of the first season.

The second season was already a good step up with multi-part episodes (Identity Crisis was really good) and more hommage, especially during the last few episodes (Power Rangers and X-Files hommages respectively).

Of course, the third season went way beyond all of those, which was partly because Mainframe was finally rid of the BS'nP censors of ABC. I still think the first two are important in setting up the world and the characters in it, but Season 3 is where it all became so much more.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 05:02:16 pm »
I actually managed to sit through quite a few episodes.  I remember the kid and the blue guy were doing stupid things for a while, then some fish girl came along.  Then at some point they lost a game and starting hopping from computer to computer.  Eventually they got back, and the computer rebooted or something, and everything was back to normal.

I saw several episodes, but I certainly didn't like it.  I think it came on before some other show I wanted to see or something like that.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 05:33:28 pm »
Well, it is primarily a kids show even though it always included references and hommage for older viewers, particularily computer terms and such. I would guess that kind of show doesn't appeal to you at all. I'm not so much into cartoons, but being an IT technician is certainly one of the reason why ReBoot always intrigued me. Then again, I'm also a big comics (Vertigo mostly) and a Transformers fan (mostly of the toys and the better written parts of the fiction though) so we're probably stuck in two completely different universes taste-wise ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
The return of ReBoot!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 12:34:10 pm »
I like computer animation, especially on its own.

Often in special effects in movies you can pick out the CGI because it's unnatural when they try to fit it into existing footage, or it just plain looks different.  It's better to have a film or show of just that so there's nothing real for anything to be compared to - or it doesn't have to have realism at all and can follow its own set of rules, much like how the abstractness of the things in ReBoot are summed up as being the manifestation of computer processes.

Feature-length films are good; I've seen most of the Pixar films (except the latest two), and I enjoyed the Shrek films too (haven't seen "the Third" yet though).  I saw TMNT a couple nights ago...awesome.  However, there seem to be an overabundance of animal-based family movies - not that they aren't good, but I'd like something a little more exciting.  Plus, the typical two-and-a-half hour restraint on films (seemingly less for many family films, though) limits the kinds of stories you can tell.  Plus there may be a couple years between sequels.  While watching TMNT and seeing how well it all worked, I found myself wondering why they couldn't make a decent CG TV series.

Other than ReBoot, I can't name a good CG TV series.  Even Mainframe's own other shows are toy sell-outs.  Except maybe Weird-Ohs! but you could see that it was crap.  Beast Wars was good, Beast Machines was passable, Shadow Raiders was amusing, and Action Man had cool "AMP IT UP" scenes (for the first season, anyway) but by then it was already more than evident that they were on a downward spiral.  Or maybe they just skewed much younger and so I wasn't interested.  I had next to no interest in the remainder of Action Man, most of Spider-Man, and I don't think I would've ever deliberately tuned into Casper, Barbie, or Hot Wheels.  I think any other CG show on right now (which is still a rarity, unless it's mixed into traditional animation, as often seems to be the case with anime these days) is for the most part not that memorable.  Maybe I don't watch enough TV so that's not entirely fair.

But ReBoot was the original CG show, an original creation with merchandising only far down the line and not its primary purpose, and I followed the story all the way through to the cliffhanger end.  There are enough fans for a revival, and heck, Mainframe (or I guess Rainmaker now) I'm sure would rather bank on this than selling out to the next toy thing that kids are going to outgrow in a year.  Or something.

But if they don't resolve the cliffhanger (though I really hope they do) and instead opt to do a reboot of ReBoot, there better be enough semblance to the original otherwise ReBoot will still be considered dead to me.  I don't care so much that it takes place inside a computer and has nerdy references...I want characters that I can care about in situations that are wicked cool.  It's the same for any show.  So if they work from a clean slate, the fact that it has the name ReBoot is really only to pique my interest.

Three feature films sounds like too much if it's going to theatres (would enough people care?), too little if it's going straight to DVD (a sure sign of meh-ness), so personally, I'd like the series to continue as a weekly TV show.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 04:49:03 pm »
I hear that the storyline that actually continued from the cliffhanger is the one that voters picked out of the five.  Sweet!