Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)  (Read 14228 times)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
« on: August 31, 2007, 09:46:44 pm »
Where's the love for Samus on these boards? I guess most of you haven't moved over to the Wii yet?

Jon, that PM with the new Wii number, is that different than the original? I can't remember. But your name is showing as grey in my online list.

So far, it feels like Metroid Prime with Wii controls. The graphics are great. Shane from 1Up needs to pull his head out of his arse. And they need to get him off of reviewing Wii games.

This game is going to build my arm muscles up though. I am always correcting my aim, and I must drink too much caffine cause the pointer is everywhere.

I figure its like playing Mario on the N64 for the first time. I could not control him at all. Then over time I got used to the idea and my thumb became adapted to the analog stick.

So, thumbs up. It may not be the reason for everyone to own a Wii, but there are many other reasons for everyone to own one.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 10:08:42 pm »
I've been too busy to play the game, though I did pick it up first day and at least got to the battle with Meta-Ridley down the generator shaft (a la Gandalf vs. the Balrog).  That's not really a spoiler, BTW, that's very early in the game and seen at the E3 in 2006 (which I saw demonstrated myself, pretty cool scene).

It didn't take too long to get to love the controls.  RedSteel was garbage; MP3:C is the game to show us what FPS controls on the Wii ought to be like.

I also love it because I've been itching for a meaty Wii experience.  I haven't had one since...I dunno...Twilight Princess?  Sheesh.  With Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl coming out soon, I'll be enjoying my Wii a lot more than I have been, but first I have to play some MP3: Corruption!

My brother returns to school soon so even when I do have time I've been letting him hog the game.  He's a decent length into it.  It looks crazy cool.

We'll have to share some Friend Vouchers when I really get into it, bustin.  My Wii Number is 5088 5343 5754 8582.  It changed when I sent in my Wii for repairs, but while they transferred all my saves and Wii Points and etc. to the new Wii, unfortunately my Miis are now considered being away from the original Wii they were created on so now my original Miis (including my own) are uneditable.  :(

Anyway, I've already got the 1000 Kills Friend Voucher by just hanging around that room with those crawly-mine things long enough - which wasn't that long, really.  I'm going to replay the Meta-Ridley fight to try to get the Gold Token for not taking damage.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:57:51 am »
I finished the game right before bed last night!

(I'm not going to lie; along with doing church stuff, I was playing a lot this weekend which kind of cut into my VGMaps.com updating time.  Sorry about that!  >_<)

Anyway, I wanted to get 100% of the items (made easier with the satellites that reveal the locations of all of the items in most areas) and 100% of the scans, but unfortunately I missed four Space Pirate enemy scans...stupidly, one of those four was the scan of Meta-Ridley, since I replayed that battle since it was kind of cool but forgot to (re)scan him.  >_<  I finished at 15:36, for once having a better time than my brother in a Metroid game!

Be aware that once you finish the game, it will ask you to save.  You will need to save to unlock the remaining bonuses, but doing so will revert your save file to the very beginning.  If you want to keep a save file at the end, copy your save to another slot before you go to the last area (you'll know what it is and when you can go there, as you will be told within the game that you cannot return if you go there; at least they extend you that courtesy.

Anyway, the final area and final bosses were neat, but they and most bosses are a little on the easy side, especially compared to previous Prime games' bosses.  Though maybe the challenge is in Hypermode Difficulty which I will replay it at later (much later, and it won't cut into VGMaps.com updating time, I promise!) since replays keep the scans you got the previous time(s) around so I should be able to get 100% of the scans now that I know what to look for (yay, GameFAQs!).  And maybe by then there will be an in-depth FAQ for all the secret Friend Vouchers.

ENDING SPOILER (kinda)!  After the end credits, the 100% ending shows an extra scene where Samus leaves SkyTown.  As she does, a ship pursues her.  The ship doesn't look like a Galactic Federation ship or a Space Pirate ship.  Popular opinion seems to be that it's the ship of Sylux (one of the Hunters from Metroid Prime: Hunters), so either they're going to cram in more before Metroid II: Return Of Samus, or there's going to be a Metroid Prime: Hunters 2.  Weird.  The 100% endings of the previous games hinted at the next game so there must be some meaning to this, but Retro Studios said they're going to take a break from Metroid in a while so who knows?

I may have to try to play Hunters again for my Metroid fix, since I got stuck in that game a long time ago and gave up, which is so unlike me...

Anyway, bustin, what I could do is start a new game on a new slot, replay the first half-hour or so to get a whole bunch of Friend Vouchers (the room of bugs makes it just a little too easy to get the ten "X00 Kills" ones) and send them to you.  And then erase the file and repeat, until you have all the Green Tokens you need.  If you want.  :P

The "Bumper Stickers" are neat, I bought those with the two Green Tokens you've given me so far.  They dress up your ship with icons based on the saved games of Nintendo titles on your Wii so far, like the Triforce from The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Mario's head from Super Paper Mario, among others.  I guess I'll need to play Excite Truck and Wii Play at some point to get the two known "bumper stickers" that I don't have.

Offline Captain Drake

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 03:18:08 pm »
Still another month and a half until it's out here.

And we get Super Paper Mario this friday, good god.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 08:57:26 pm »
Or is there anyone else I can trade with besides just bustin?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 09:07:34 pm »
If it wasn't for the fact that getting a console would drain my finance too much as well as make me spend way too much time on it, I'd be getting a Wii in record time. What's sad is that these new systems are getting increasingly harder to emulate so I have little hope of being able to play these game in a decade or so like I could with everything pre-DS.

Yeah, I know I'm a big freeloading game whore :( ...

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 11:18:22 pm »
Dude, I wish I could play games as much. I try to squeeze in an hour here and there. But I do have a family and what could amount to two full time jobs. I am happy for the time I have.

I did at least finish Godfather. Good game, but I wonder if it is actually 'finished'. It seems I could drive around forever smashing safes and beating down wornout boxers.

I really need to finish Metroid as my brother in law is getting Halo3 for me. I am so looking forward to it. I just wish I could play people I know in it. I haven't played anyone I know in Halo 2 without them coming to my house.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 07:39:18 am »
Tell me about it.  It used to be that I could sit down with a game and finish it in a weekend.  I'd save spring break for RPGs but it wouldn't usually take more than a few days.

Now that I actually have work and other responsibilities, I'm glad that new game rentals at Blockbuster are a week long, plus with no late fees, I can hold it for another week, really.  I still don't need the whole time, usually, since the sad thing is that games don't seem to be getting longer.  Many are shorter unless you go for 100% of all the extras, but even some of those are shorter than they used to be.

Then long games like Pok?mon Diamond are literally taking me months, even by playing every day.  I haven't touched Final Fantasy VI Advance in a long time.  It took me forever to get where I am, but I got held up at the stupid Veldt because I want to get 100% in each game I play.  >_<

Anyway, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was good...I might have finished it a week earlier but I let my brother hog it for his last week before school, when he'd have even less time than me.

In that week, he played MP3:C, and downloaded Paper Mario and Super Metroid on the Virtual Console and finished those too.  Oh, and the Japanese Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations (it comes with an English option) as well.  Ah, to have that kind of time again...even if it only took my brother 2 hours and 59 minutes to get 100% in Super Metroid.  o_0  Talk about cutting it close...

The time difference between my brother's and my finishing times in MP3:C would've been enough for a whole run of Super Metroid; that's funny...

At least SOME games aren't getting shorter.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:38:41 pm »
I get so freakin lost on Super Metroid its not funny.

I did beat the original when I was young. But now that I have downloaded it again I have no clue to what I am doing. I'll just finish MP3 first then worry about it.

---

Cool beans

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 11:44:21 pm »
Yay! I finished MP3 today! Though I wish you could watch both endings if you get 100%. I have yet to beat the other two Prime games.

Took me 20 hours. I guess I just like to run around too much. I just love to explore and find things most people wouldn't bother to look for.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 07:39:10 am »
I'm playing it on Hyper difficulty, but you've almost caught up as I'm less than an hour into it.

A room with two Space Pirates on the GFS Olympus almost annihilated me.  It's so much harder, that's what I get for complaining that Normal difficulty is too easy.

I'm still early on because I have to keep replaying the part where Ridley's trying to get you while you're in ball form stuck in the pipe thing.  I'm trying to get the Friend Voucher for not taking any damage, and it's too easy to lose control and bounce into his claws or flame.

EDIT: I got it with enough practice, finally.  One trick is to lay bombs even when he's not stuck (I thought he had to be stuck first, but I was wrong), and there's a good chance he'll bite down as one of them goes off.