Author Topic: Rare NES games (hacks/homemade)  (Read 26940 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Rare NES games (hacks/homemade)
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 09:42:19 pm »
Terra, I guess the next question is "should effort be spent on this bland thing"?  If you really want to map it, then go ahead, but I don't know if I'd put it up.

I think I have put up maps from beta versions and incomplete games before...so for now let's just say it's a case-by-case basis.  If it's not going to kill me to put it up, I might.  If you're going to send me three hundred maps from a bad unlicensed incomplete game done by an amateurish or no-name developer, don't expect me to put them up.  I shouldn't have to be the dictator that decides what goes up, but honestly, I hope no one expects me to allow something like that.  But that's an extreme case.

Where should the line be drawn?  I guess we'd have to see.

But I mean, really...  aren't there enough (complete) popular games done by real developers that deserve to be mapped and yet still aren't?  :p

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Rare NES games (hacks/homemade)
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 10:08:00 pm »
Oh, I have no intention of mapping any such game; I was just wondering about the concept in general while playing that unreleased Star Trek V "thing" (whose only redeeming qualities are two tilesets in Stage 2 which are directly taken from the first movie, ironically). And anyway, I was specifically talking about a complete, debugged and ultimately fully completable game that would have been cancelled shortly before release, of which there aren't many anyway.

Ultimately, I agree that such things should be left on the forums unless it happened to be a real lost gem. Imagine for example, if a real Mega Man 7 NES cartridge was found that was really close to the SNES one and wasn't a pirate or a hack or anything else like that. Something historical in short. But anyway, your answer is what I was expecting (and it doesn't bother me in the least, just to make that clear).

Don't me upset, I just love hypotheticals :)

---

Current project: Castlevania Legends (GB)

Upcoming project: Not sure yet
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)