Author Topic: RE: I want a Wii, and Nintendo doesn't want me to have one  (Read 39561 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: I want a Wii, and Nintendo doesn't want me to have one
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 02:45:27 pm »
Interesting... I'll have to look into this...

As for the Wavebird, what advantage does it have over the standard GC controller, aside from being wireless and thus a battery gobbler (my main reason for hating wireless; the moment they invent a *safe* way to transmit power through the air, I'll be happy beyond belief)?

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 03:39:04 pm »
It's not a battery gobbler at all, I can only remember changing the batteries 3 or 4 times in the last 5+ years. Besides being wireless, though, it's the same (minus rumble).

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 03:44:32 pm »
To be fair, I'm lazy enough that changing batteries more than once a year counts as "battery gobbler" to me ;P. Seems interesting, and I've never cared about rumbling anyway. I wonder if they're hard to find new however.

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 02:52:45 am »
The thing to consider is that it's only transmitting a few metres, and it's only transmitting when the input changes. For digital inputs, that's actually really slowly - maybe 5 times per second at most, usually much less often. So the data throughput is on the order of a few bytes per second, which doesn't need much power.

Devices that are more active, like mice, analogue controls and of course the Wiimote, are transmitting data at a higher rate (maybe hundreds of bytes per second), usually have more on-board processing to do, and thus sap batteries a lot faster. I have a set of 2700mAh rechargeables in my Wiimote and laser mouse and recharge them every maybe every 2 weeks if I'm using them very heavily, but more like every 3 months for light use.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 05:37:32 pm »
I bought a second WaveBird off of eBay particularly for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and by that time, they were already discontinued by Nintendo and hard to find.

I believe Nintendo did release (or will release?  I haven't kept up) a "Wii White" GameCube controller with a long cable, but it would've been nice if they released a "Wii White" WaveBird (with rumble and speaker, while they're at it :P).  They would sell a crapload of those if they advertised "for playing classic VC games and GameCube games on the Wii", if only because there are people that STILL don't know you can play those on it.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 02:07:21 pm »
Well, I finally bought a good old Platinum GameCube controller, as I found a brand new one on sale for 15$, as well as a memory card so I could finally check if my SADX disc was working despite all the scratches. Turns out it does, so I really got my money's worth on this.

As for new video cables, my TV does accept component input but will only display in 480i, not 480p (I finally found the manual online to check the specs). Still, I've found Wii component cables online for 9$; it certainly can't hurt to try!

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 10:44:41 am »
Man, you weren't kidding about "Luigi's Purple Coins" being frustrating (I still haven't beaten it), although "Purple coins on the Battlerock", while annoying, was fairly easy to compelte. "The Battlestation's Purple Coins" however has me wanting to throw the controller through the TV screen in frustration >:(.

At first I didn't want to start another game until I had the first 120 stars, but those last few purple comets made me re-think that decision.

I started playing NiGHTS yesterday and I really like it, although I find it straining on my thumb to use the joypad on the GameCube controller to move.

Of course, all mapping is suspended until the initial Wii rush subsides ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 12:20:45 pm »
I just remembered "purple coins, on rails, with guns" and looked it up in a FAQ. I completely forgot how similar those two galaxies were.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 09:27:15 pm »
I finally obtained all 120 stars with Mario ("Luigi's Purple Coins" was definitely the worst thanks to the whole level featuring no safe spot aside from the starting platform).

The Luigi quest I'll put aside for now; the Cosmic Comets with him are almost impossible given how clumsy I am with a controller.

I really should comment on the soundtrack of the game which is, to me, unquestionably the best Mario soundtrack ever. The orchestral and grandiose score complements the epic setting perfectly.

Heck, after having Mario save the whole Universe from Bowser, I wonder what else they can find for the next "main" game. I mean, it's hard to go bigger or more epic than this. Maybe they'll finally go back to the Mushroom Kingdom and actually have an actual plot and develop the characters for a change (which I guess they did in the various Mario RPG games, but they're not really part of the "main" Mario series, more like side stories).

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 05:04:28 pm »
I'm glad someone else saw the ending of Super Mario Galaxy as being epic.  When you think about it, the mere process itself is technically more epic than all other endings combined (highlight for SPOILERS) [(unless other games have a Big Crunch/Big Bang ending too)]...

I liked the story of Zack & Wiki.  The ending was cool, too.  I saw Zack & Wiki at Blockbuster the other day, used, for $20.  If I hadn't finished it to the max on a rental, I probably would've picked it up.  Maybe I should have on principle anyway.

Did you get any WiiWare or Virtual Console games, Terra?  I only played a bit of Dr. Mario, but my brother downloaded that, FFCC:MLaaK, and Pok?mon Ranch...

I'm finally feeling the storage crunch that everyone else is complaining about.  External storage would be nice...  >_>

Offline Eggz

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 05:46:05 pm »
We finally picked up a Wii this past weekend. It came bundled with GH3 (old news since I beat it while away at school), but I picked up RE4 while at Future shop buying a new laptop. Haven't even cracked the plastic on the game yet, but I'll let you know my impressions when I do.

And I figure it's just as well we got a Wii, seeing as my sister destroyed one of the memory card slots on our 360 last week by trying to jam a UBS controller cable in there...

---

This looks like a job for Science!
This looks like a job for Science!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2008, 05:47:01 pm »
My Wii is still not online, at least not until I change my router. I've been thinking about buying a wireless one for a while, but since my old one still works fine, why change? And since there's a chance I'll change it, why buy the Wii wireless USB adapter, which nobody has confirmed for me that it's Vista compatible.

I'm just not interest in the Virtual Console when I can have pretty much all the games I want online (illegally, true, but still) with graphical filters and savestates to boot. As for WiiWare, so far only Megaman 9 looks like it might interest me, provided it turns out good (which I'm not completely convinced of so far).

Regarding storage space, can you save downloaded data to an SD card, or are you limited to save data as well as photos and songs? The Wii site isn't too explicit about that.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2008, 06:10:01 pm »
Wii games will save onto the internal flash storage.  The SD slot is for backing up saves to an SD card, I haven't yet seen any games that can save directly to it (though in SSBB you can copy replays and snapshots to it in-game).  I never played Excite Truck, but supposedly that lets you play MP3s off of the card there during gameplay.  You can have your photos and MP3s (or AACs or whatever now) for the Photo Channel.  You can copy some Channels there, though I don't really see a point as you can't run them off of there, and you can redownload the ones you'd need again, and you'd need to be online to use most downloadable Channels anyway...

Some games, like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, can't have their saves copied to the SD card.  Same with how GameCube saves couldn't be moved or copied from one card to another.  I could kind of understand the restriction if it was a Pok?mon game, where a copied save means it's too easy to cheat, but the restriction on SSBB saves pretty much means that if you want a tournament, EVERY Wii is going to have to go through however many hours it takes to unlock all the characters and stages.  Boo!  That's just silly.