Author Topic: New ads for VGMaps.com?  (Read 6407 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
New ads for VGMaps.com?
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:28:57 am »
I'm thinking about making new ads for VGMaps.com.  (Of course, I think about doing a lot of things...  :P)  The current ones look simple and uninspired.  There's something to be said about minimalist design but these ones I know were just plain lazy.  Also, I get the feeling people don't think the site is any different from what you might find at GameFAQs, so I should somehow emphasize the screenshot maps we have and people will want to click through to see what we're all about.

With the classic Mega Man series practically mapped (just not Soccer (Super NES)), as well as the 2D Zelda games (just not Four Swords Adventures (GameCube)), and most of the Mario games (just not Yoshi's Island (Super NES) and Partners In Time (DS)), and those three being such big series and all, that I would go for a series of ads focused on each series of games.

Notably, I could go for a primary colour assault.  I'm thinking of banners with red (Mario), green (Zelda), and blue (Mega Man) borders.  Perhaps, if animated, they could pan across a well-known map from one of those games, then a line about how we've got that series covered, and then the VGMaps.com logo appears.

Of course, that's just one idea.  I do like the red/green/blue theme I could do with this, in any case.

Anyone have any ideas or be willing to help?

Offline Maxim

RE: New ads for VGMaps.com?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:47:16 am »
They have ads on the internet now?

Are these actual ads or just "link banners" or similar? How often are they actually used?

Wouldn't your time be better spent making a proper backend for the site?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:08:56 am »
I'm talking about link banners.  I use them in my Project Wonderful campaigns.  One campaign has seen my ads displayed over 5 million times (but only 600-something actual click-throughs).  I think it could do a lot better if my banners were more eye-catching.

Making and manipulating images is more in the range of my current abilities, and it wouldn't take too long (at least not too too long).

Not that your point isn't still valid...  >_>

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:43:05 pm »
Well, we just recently got Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission, so we're close to finishing Metroid.  Maybe an orange border for those banners?  We still need Super Metroid...

And today we got Metal Gear (MSX) and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX).  (Didn't MGS4: Guns Of The Patriots come out today?  What good timing!)  We still need the GBC game...

Seems like we're finishing stuff off lately, though.

Mario...Mega Man...Metroid...Metal Gear...  Do we just like big series that begin with M?