Author Topic: Double Dungeons maps for the Turbografx-16  (Read 31871 times)

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
Double Dungeons maps for the Turbografx-16
« on: June 22, 2008, 01:02:45 am »
Can someone map out the Double Dungeons game that's on the Turbografx-16 system??

I already know about the maps on www.gamefaqs.com and am wanting to ask if someone can actually map this game and post the maps here on the website..

Thanks in advance.

Offline Grizzly

RE: Double Dungeons maps for the Turbografx-16
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 01:32:28 am »
That game is 3-dimensional. So it can't be plain mapped. I think you have to recreate the map in an isometric fashion like DarkWolf did with Wolfenstein 3D. So one should know how the dungeons are saved in the game's ROM to be able to map it efficiently.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:23:11 am »
so your saying that someone should map the game out and post the maps for others to use??

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:53:24 am »
no, I don't demand that. I just said that there are some difficulties in mapping such a game that have to overcome by the person who decides to map the game.

I do not know if anybody wants to map it. I myself never played the game so I do not have much interest in mapping it at the moment.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 12:14:59 pm »
The game is very fun if your into dungeon type rpg games.

I'm surprised that nobody's bothered to map the entire game yet.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 01:24:43 pm »
The confusion here is because this is a site for screenshot maps, and screenshot maps of fake-3D games are mostly impossible, there just isn't any overhead graphics you could use, the whole thing would have to be redrawn.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 03:18:16 pm »
I thought about doing Shining in the Darkness, which I assume is similar to the game you want mapped.  The reason I could pull off Wolf 3d and Blake Stone is that there are very few special walls, the only problem with Blake was the switches (I didn't really care about the vending machines, since they are EVERYWHERE) and I represented these on the transparent walls with red lines.  However, these dungeon crawler games tend to use more wall textures than sprites for special things, and it gets hard to make an accurate map.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:26:47 pm »
it's ok.

i'd love to see what comes from your try at it but if ya can't map the game, then don't worry about it.

Offline Will

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 11:57:12 pm »
If you want to make a good start in mapping this game, it would be wise to have a bird's eye view map to start. I have made such maps for 3-dimensional games such as SNES "Eye of the Beholder", and I see no reason to turn into 3D, after all it shows everything you could possibly wish for: enemies, items, doors, panels, anything. Think about it magicbay, Blake Stone unlike Double Dungeons is an all direction, constant moving game, whilst Double Dungeons is a 4 direction, 1 step at a time moving game. Not of course that the game doesn't deserve to be mapped being lesser action packed that Blake Stone, but I would not be worth the trouble. Do take a look at my "Eye of the Beholder" maps if you want to get a good brainstorm.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 09:11:54 am »
Another thing I forget to mention is that Wolf 3d and Blake have many wide open rooms, where as a lot of dungeon crawlers have mainly "hallway" maps, and those would be a lot less exciting in 3d, and probably more confusing.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 03:02:45 pm »
cool.

I'd love to see what kind of maps that someone can come up with reguardless of what kind of rendering is done.

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 04:11:28 am »
Why not just use the maps at gamefaqs.com? It seems like their all there, and there is really no reason to make more. In order to make your own maps for this game you'd have to play it, get you some grid paper and map like that.

I myself have played through and mapped all levels of Shining in the Darkness. I was gonna see about redoing them in electronic form and posting them here. This game could be mapped using screenshot maps considering there is already a map feature in the game and just by taking screenshots of displayed maps it could be done. I recently started mapping the map view of Swords and Serpents for NES.

I'm curious, since some games have built-in map features, is it really necessary to map them? I've also mapped out most of Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, The Bards Tale (NES) and Wizardry 1 and 2. As you can tell, a while back I was really into these games. :) Some of my old pseudo 3d game buddies might have called me a fake 3d rpg connoisseur.

I've played DD and itseems like a pretty long game and to map it you'd have to, get grid paper, map each hallway and could take a while unless there is some sort of guide map in the game. I've only played till dungeon 2 though. It's more a fast pace dungeon game.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 10:21:27 am »
the first 5 or 6 maps that were posted on gamefaqs.com are pretty good but the rest of them are kinda crappy.

I'd take up the challenge of making the maps but I don't have the resources to take the challenge and will be passing it up.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 01:42:57 pm »
It is indeed necessary to map some games that have in-game maps.  Take Faery Tale Adventure for example.  There is an in-game map but it is of a fairly low resolution, only shows the general area around you, and you have to use an item to see it.  Much better to get the whole view.  Some of us also make maps because they have an aesthetic quality.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 03:01:16 pm »
I totally agree with ya DarkWolf.