Author Topic: You know what we're overdue for?  (Read 22789 times)

Offline Revned

You know what we're overdue for?
« on: May 22, 2006, 09:33:45 am »
Another Atlas project. The first one really increased involvement in the board, something we need desperately at the moment. Anybody got any ideas? I suggested Yoshi's Island, but I can foresee much argument over the parallax backgrounds and unreachable areas. I think it would be best to choose something relatively straightforward, but bigger than any one person would want to tackle on his/her own.

Previous suggestions:

Kirby: Super Star (Super NES)

Secret Of Mana (Super NES)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Super NES)

Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link (NES)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: You know what we're overdue for?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 01:20:50 pm »
Oh, ho!  All awesome suggestions.

Kirby: Super Star is still easily the best Kirby game ever.  Well, it's a few games, really, each providing something a little different.  Each of those games' in-game headers would make pretty sweet map headers (I like headers!) and one particular game, The Great Cave Offensive, would be REALLY useful when mapped out and with all its treasures located.  This would be so worth it when it's all done.

Secret Of Mana was one of my earliest requests, and one I brought back when we were discussing how to have multiple mappers for games that are big, like this RPG.  (The request topic turned into brainstorming for what would soon become the Super Mario Bros. 3 project!)  As probably the most loved Mana game to date (still seems to be, by some consensus) and beautiful graphics, this would be hot.  Like the Secret Of Evermore maps of Grizzly's.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is another great platforming game that deserves to be mapped.  I could see how that would be done, just with more Super NES-related mapping challenges.

Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link is a good choice too because I'd like to have every pixel from every Zelda game one day.  And it also fits into my dream of having the first Nintendo Power Player's guide, the NES Game Atlas, totally obsoleted.  I love the book, but a digital form is best!

I said I was going to make a "Projects" page, didn't I?  >_<  Especially if we do continue with projects.

I also said I likely won't be as involved in the next project as I tried to be with the first two.  In the sense that someone else should lay the groundwork.  I'd probably have too much fun making the Kirby: Super Star headers given the chance, though.

The first two projects had deadlines of sorts.  Super Mario Bros. 3 by the end of last year, and Mega Man Solid X: Guns Of The Mavericks for April Fools'.  We probably don't actually need a deadline for the next project, if that was a concern for anybody.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 06:55:07 pm »
As fun as it might be, you just know I won't get involved in this one since I really don't want to drop Metroid: Fusion again. I'm going to finish mapping that bitch if it kills me >:D

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 09:11:56 am »
Revned, you probably have the most experience.  You contributed to Mega Man Solid X: Guns Of The Mavericks, quite a bit to Super Mario Bros. 3, and before those projects you worked with TerraEsperZ on The Legend Of Zelda's two Oracle games.  So what's your opinion on what to do and how to do it?

I guess I didn't really put in a vote...I kinda like all of these ideas so far.

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:14:32 am »
Hmm. I'd go with either Kirby or Secret of Mana. I've never played the latter, though. If it's really as long as you say, Kirby would probably be better. As I said before, Yoshi's Island would be really hard to do with all the backgrounds. The backgrounds in Kirby don't seem too complex. I wouldn't go with Zelda, because I doubt we'd get the involvement we're looking for. I, for one, wouldn't want to do it.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 05:29:30 pm »
We think alike, I was thinking after posting that last message that maybe I'd be skewed towards the first two, Kirby: Super Star and Secret Of Mana.

Secret Of Mana is fairly large...I remember renting it on two extra long "weekends" (one was five days, one was four days). Thankfully our file was still there when we rented it the second time, which was probably a month or two or a few later. How lucky is that? Anyway, I could be wrong, but I'd wager that it's along the scale of mapping Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger. But at least if you were playing while mapping you wouldn't need to stop for turn-based battles since they're all handled in real-time action, similar to The Legend Of Zelda games or The Illusion Of Gaia. While beautiful, and if labelled like the Evermore maps, extremely useful, I think we'd have to find enough people to truly want to do it otherwise it'd be such a chore.

Kirby: Super Star has a more "fun" vibe going for it, and with multiple games in it, you wouldn't have to go far to map any area...though like I said, The Great Cave Offensive is probably going to be the centerpiece of it all, since that's where a map will be needed most and it's probably the largest.

I'd support either effort as much as I can, with maps if possible and my own suggestions as to how things should be done, but I hope we can get enough people and be sure that we'll finish. I don't want a me-and-Revned project of this magnitude.

So?  Anyone else have any suggestions/votes/expressions of willingness to participate?

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 04:47:03 am »
I would like to participate. Kirby seems fine. I don't have got a personal opinion about Secret Of Mana because I don't know it well - only played it in multiplayer once for two hours or so.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 12:43:24 pm »
Looks like we're leaning towards Kirby: Super Star more and more, but I'd like a couple more people (at the very least) for this to count as an official "Atlas Project".

Whatever happened to Zeric and Osrevad?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 10:07:43 pm »
You know, I should make a poll...

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 08:32:21 am »
might be an option :)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 10:50:49 am »
Or maybe a poll as to what kind of things people look for when deciding on a project.

The nostalgia of the game?

The popularity of the game?

The complexity of the maps?

The beauty of the maps?

It might help, or maybe not, but it'd be interesting.

Offline Revned

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 06:42:06 pm »
I'd say yes to nostalgia and beauty. I think we're going to need to find a more popular game to get more involvement, though.