Author Topic: Non Netnavi/Robot Master names  (Read 27913 times)

Offline Will

Non Netnavi/Robot Master names
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:03:10 am »
How many names can you think of that can never due to originality and brand, exist as a Netnavi or Robot Master name? I can think of some:

Ironman - Marvel's Iron Man

Spiderman - Marvel's Spiderman

Batman - From Batman Begins

Goldman - Sega's House of the Dead 2

Waterman - Little Britain's Dennis Waterman

The only clash between names that I know of is

Capcom's Iceman and Iceman from X-men.

Offline vorpal86

RE: Non Netnavi/Robot Master names
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:35:47 am »
Hmm, let me think of some...

Aquaman - Detective Comics

Superman - Detective Comics

Can'tthink of any more.. heh..

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:58:25 am »
I'm sure there are more than just those two named "Iceman" (though I believe Mega Man's "Ice Man" has a space in it).  You know, like in the phrase "the ice man cometh", that must have some origin or something.

Comics certainly have a lot of -man names.  By the way, you forgot the hyphen in Spider-Man.

Considering Konami's Solid Snake made it into Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I thought it would be appropriate to have characters that are more classic than him as guest fighters, including Hudson's Bomberman, Namco's Pac-Man, and Capcom's Mega Man.  I think at various times these three companies worked closely with Nintendo more than Konami ever did.  :P  I thought it was neat that they all end with "Man", yet one is wholly integrated, one has a hyphen, and one is a separate word (usually).

Don't forget the Japanese hero Ultraman!  I always believed that Mega > Ultra > Super, yet I also thought Superman > Ultraman > Mega Man (in terms of physical strength, not coolness).

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 03:47:43 pm »
Goldman is a last name.  Can't really brand that by itself.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 04:26:33 pm »
Well, there are Goldmen in Dragon Warrior (and, I expect, other Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest games).

Oh yeah, there was that quirky cult Dreamcast game, with the fish guy...wasn't that called Seaman?

Offline Will

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:21:17 pm »
Here are a few more names I picked up:

Neo-Geo's Eightman

Hydro Man from Spider-man

Teacherman from Beano's 2000 Annual

Fatman from Beano's 2000 Annual

Zipman from the Rainbow Batman parody

I wonder what it would be like in Megaman to have Netnavis or Robot Masters with boy and girl names like Megaboy, Guitargirl, Brightboy, Heatgirl and much, much more.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 11:08:03 pm »
Gitaroo

Running

Wonder Wo-

Paul New-

Jenna Elf-

Okkusen-

Offline Will

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 10:35:57 am »
I discovered there is another clash between a name of a robot master and something else. The name is Astro Man. Astro Man was created before Capcom did by SNK in the game "King of the Monsters". Astro Man is the giant Captain America looking man and is one of the playable characters.

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:56:29 am »
Are we forgetting TurboMan from RockMan 7 who was not the one from Jingle All The Way?

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 03:01:19 am »
vorpal86 Said:
Hmm, let me think of some...

Aquaman - Detective Comics

Superman - Detective Comics

Can'tthink of any more.. heh..

uh

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Aqua_Man

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 07:01:39 am »
While reading a lot about the Marvel Comics' multiverse, I came across some weird alternate worlds like Earth-665, the one seen in the Not Brand Echh series.  Strange stuff.  It was meant to be parodius of several comic characters, including their own, DC comics, and other ones at the time.

Among the several various "-Man" names (like, seriously, that's the most common stereotypical superhero name suffix) including the Not Brand Echh mascot, Forbush Man.  Weird.

Offline Will

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:34 pm »
I have spotted yet another small clash between names. The evil Protoman in Mega Man 5 is called "Dark Man". There is also a film called "Darkman". I don't know if you've watched it, but I like the part where he wants the pink elephant.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 01:15:49 pm »
I believe Sam Raimi (who directed Spider-Man) directed Darkman, and that film (though probably not the sequels) is apparently one of the few really good superhero films, or so I've heard.

I'll eventually get around to watching that one day...

I remember thinking that the NES game by Ocean (boy, Ocean sure loved making movie tie-in games) was bad but somehow still enjoyed it...  There are fun between-stage sections where you use your camera to aim at your intended target (as they appear in the windows of a building) to take as many pictures as you can because the idea is that more pictures means that Darkman's disguise of them will be more accurate.  It was a neat way to do a non-violent shooting gallery.

Minus the bandages, Darkman greatly resembles a character of my own creation for a story I never got around to fully writing (despite obsessing over it for years).  Though looking back on it, a black trenchcoat and a black fedora probably isn't all that original of an outfit...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 09:20:56 pm »
I can't believe I bought the Mega Man comics done by Dreamwave from Amazon...  (The prices were $8, $58, or $137.  Whoa.  So I scooped up the $8 while I still can get it at that price.)

Supposedly they feature Barrageman, Expressman, and Multiman...they aren't Robot Masters in the canonical sense.