Author Topic: Sam & Max on VGMaps.com  (Read 16713 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator

Offline Revned

RE: Sam & Max on VGMaps.com
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:22:07 pm »
I'm famous!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 08:47:13 pm »
Or infamous.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:52:03 pm »
I'm really looking foward to the new series of game. Apparently, you'll either need some type of online subscription to play all the episodes or wait for them to put out a CD/DVD(?) which will have the entire "season" on it.

Also, just for fun, I wonder what's everyone's favourite set of voices for Sam & Max. Is it those from the first Lucasarts game, those of the Fox cartoon series, or the voices heard in the trailer for the upcoming game/episodes?

Me, as I discovered the duo with the Fox toon, they became the best voice to me, even though both other sets work fine too.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 10:17:48 pm »
I probably first heard of Sam & Max from the comics in The Adventurer, a magazine of sorts that came packaged with LucasArts computer games for a while.  Then I loved the game and the cartoon show was pretty good, I guess.

You can find some episodes here on YouTube.

I guess I should get the links and pictures going for you guys so we can share our creations.

On a related note, I finally got around to try putting SCUMMVM DS on my DS (it was easier than I thought) and I put Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge on there.  Maybe I should put Sam & Max: Hit The Road on there as well.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 10:48:36 pm »
I'm old skool Sam -n- Max, I didn't even know they had video games of the characters, or a cartoon for that matter. It was comics for me all the way. Now they need a Milk and Cheese game and 'toon.

---

Cool beans

Offline Inty

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 04:19:34 am »
XD @ Sam & Max.

---

I wonder if a girl will come over and play with my Wii.

<b>I need £5 paypal to pay subs ._.</b>

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 07:42:10 am »
bustin98 Said:
I'm old skool Sam -n- Max, I didn't even know they had video games of the characters, or a cartoon for that matter. It was comics for me all the way. Now they need a Milk and Cheese game and 'toon.

---

Cool beans
When Steve Purcell got involved with LucasArts, his Sam & Max were popular with them there.  Not only did Sam & Max appear in issues of The Adventurer (the LucasArts magazine for a while), but several LucasArts games feature brief references or cameos of Sam & Max.  They got their own point-and-click adventure game, Sam & Max: Hit The Road, and they had a cartoon, Sam & Max: Freelance Police, that only lasted like one or two seasons on FOX Kids in the US and YTV in Canada.  It was toned down a bit from the kind of stuff they could've probably said in the comics, but still wittier than most cartoons.

There was to be a Sam & Max: Freelance Police game, a 3D graphic adventure.  It was further along than another 3D graphic adventure game, the sequel to Full Throttle, but also had the plug pulled on it, shortly before it was to be released, last spring, I believe.

Telltale games, which I guess is supposed to be made up of LucasArts members canned after LucasArts became pretty much just about Star Wars games, is bringing Sam & Max back.  Judging by the trailers shown at the GameTap booth this E3, I'm guessing GameTap is probably one way to continue to get further adventures of this now apparently episodic game.

I probably ought to get that collection of the original Sam & Max comics.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 08:29:44 am »
Good luck with the collection. It's been out of print for a while.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 09:13:16 am »
I took a browse on the net to see if I could find a quick place to find it, and Amazon has listers selling a collection for $140.

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 09:29:04 am »
Well, I meant good luck getting it at a reasonable price. By the way, I have scans of the whole thing if anyone's interested. However, if Steve Purcell could manage to reprint it like he often says he wants to, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 12:25:11 pm »
Is it a fairly large collection?  I got the Complete Calvin & Hobbes for Christmas, and my brother paid about that much for it.  (Then again that's in Canadian dollars but I guess Canadian and US currency are pretty close in value now.)  I'm guessing the Sam & Max collection isn't as big and the price is due to rarity or a limited print or something.

I noticed Telltale Games also has a couple Bone games.  I remember reading a couple Bone comics when they were previewed in the Disney Adventures magazine so long ago.  It wasn't a regular thing, just a one-or-two-time peek, but I thought it was interesting as far as comics go.  Looks like Telltale Games likes working with slightly niche comic franchises.  Which is really cool, in my opinion.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 05:56:47 pm »
"The Collected Sam & Max: Surfin The Highway" is 167 pages long, and there's quite a demand for it which is why it's so expensive.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 09:36:14 am »
Well, now that you guys have images and links, I'd like to see at least one other custom Sam & Max comic, hey?

They've added like ten new frames since the last time I was there.

I also tried the Bone: Act 2 demo.  I liked it!

I may be bugging you, Terra, about the Sam & Max scans.  If it were at a more reasonable price, I'd support it and buy it.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 09:47:38 am »
If you want them, just say so and we'll arrange something over AIM. I'd prefer not doing a Torrent  or RapidShare link so it doesn't get spread around too much, which might reduce the chances of a reprint. If it ever sees paper again, you can be sure I'll be buying it. In fact, I haven't even read most of the scans to preserve the surprise in such an event.

As for doing my own Sam & Max comic, well I absolutely suck at writing comedy, much less writing dialogs appropriate for such icons as our own favourite Police Freelancers.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)