Author Topic: RE: Should I even bother using the quote feature?  (Read 23461 times)

Offline Ryan Ferneau

RE: Should I even bother using the quote feature?
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:37:49 pm »
As neat as it is when a message board is built from the ground up rather than using a trendy template, it often leads to features that don't do what you expect them to.  This board's quote feature is very limited in that you can only quote one post at a time, and you can't trim it down to just the part you wanted to respond to.  I tried to get around this using the edit feature, but I found that the same tags that worked to produce the quote box in the first place would be totally broken if I re-submitted messages with those quote tags.  In addition, and I'm sure this has been pointed out before, it appears that messages with quotes in them fail to bump the topic to the top of the list or update its last-post-time data, so if it's an old topic, no one may ever notice it was posted in again.

So is there something we can do to make quoting work better?  Or should we all just skip this feature and indicate quotes the old-fashioned way?

Offline RT 55J

Should I even bother using the quote feature?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:42:51 pm »
You can just use < quote > tags and just copy the relevant portion of the post. For example:

Mr. Cheesecake Wrote:

I have a lovely bunch of coconuts.

Yes, I know it's stupid that we need a work-around for this, but half of the mark-up related features are broken anyway. Just try editing a post with multiple links to see what I mean, or even just click the "Preview Message" button from the Quickpost form. :P

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 10:51:07 pm »
Yes, this forum sucks.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 08:51:51 am »
Marked for trolling!  LOL j/k.