Author Topic: A Nightmare on Elm Street by Monarch  (Read 37917 times)

Offline SKARD

A Nightmare on Elm Street by Monarch
« on: December 24, 2008, 01:53:44 am »
This game came out in 1989 for Commodore 64 and DOS PCs. As far as I know no one has made a map of the levels or even written a guide for it. Does anyone have this game and is willing to put the time into it, or know of a way to read the data directly from the files?

Offline Tropicon

RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street by Monarch
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 12:15:29 pm »
I'll do it.  How big is this game?  Any particular area you want mapped?

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 12:49:08 pm »
Is this game different than the NES version?

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 10:40:43 am »
From what I can tell it's completely different.  This game plays like a cheap version of Ultima.  Mapping so far is a pain due to a status screen that takes up most of the right hand side of the screen.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 12:18:40 pm »
Irfanview can do batch cropping.

Offline SKARD

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 07:09:24 pm »
It is very different from the NES game.

Particular parts:

- In the first few levels you can tunnel through walls, I've been curious if there are any outlying areas to tunnel to.

- In the second level there's a switch that usually says you broke it. Occasionally it will open an area to a few items. Are there conditions for this switch?

- on the grated level there are buttons that need to be up or down in a combination to proceed. The combinations should be noted.

- On one ice level the squares teleport you around based on the direction you approach from. A path through this area would be helpful.

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 08:22:39 pm »
Irfan view can do Batch cropping? How?  I've been using it for years and I never knew about that.

OK you're further along in the game then I am.  How do you dig in the walls?  I just past the broken switch, should it open the little room with the grenade and the axe?  Cheat Engine does not like this game so far.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 08:56:23 pm »
For batch cropping, simply press B to go to the Batch Conversion screen. First you choose which file to add to the batch job, but for the cropping you have to go the Batch Conversion Settings, check "Use Advanced Options" and then press the "Set Advanced Options".

You'll be presented with a bunch of different transformations to choose from, the first of which is the Crop options.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline SKARD

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 11:04:05 pm »
Tropicon, I finished the game years ago. I'm going from memory.

Kincaid can punch through walls as his ability. There are also pickaxes available in later levels.

There's a map you can collect but I don't think I could backtrack after I found it.

The room with the grenade and axe sounds correct. I got it to open once, I just don't know how.

I'm not familiar with Cheat Engine. I'm currently going through my DOS games and getting them to work in DOSBox.

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 10:48:18 am »
OK got the batch working.  That will save time thank you.  Cheat Engine is a nifty little program that lets you hack codes when there are no built in hacking tools.  I knew I should have played as Kincaid.  The only thing I've got mapped out so far is the town and the first floor.  Does the rest of the game take place in Freddy's house?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 12:22:03 pm »
I'm curious to see those maps. I remember downloading that game way back in college when I was still mostly using DOS on my old computer but I never really even played until I got into Freddy's house. But anyway, maps of evil/haunted houses are always cool :)

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 06:29:36 pm »
I'll post the street map in a minute.  I have to go back with Kincade for more floors of the house.  I swear this game is like a slimed down version of Ultima 6.

Offline SKARD

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 06:53:12 pm »
The location of Freddy's house is random.

The rest of the game is in the house but it looks less like a house as you progress. The walls and floor become slime. The floor is grating with no walls, just a black pit between them. And there are ice areas like within a cave.

One of the last levels is a clock with trails of fire as the hands.

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 07:41:26 pm »
That's what I thought.  In that case I'll post the floors in blocks of 10 or something.

Street map:

http://www.vgmapper.com/SysPC/N/NightmareOnElmStreet.html

Offline SKARD

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 05:20:16 pm »
I scanned a map I drew with pen and paper years ago.

This is the level later in the game that teleports you around. I don't recall how accurate this is.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/664/freddyhm3.png