Author Topic: A Nightmare on Elm Street by Monarch  (Read 37918 times)

Offline Tropicon

RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street by Monarch
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 05:43:35 pm »
That may come in handy.  I'm only running around the first slime level now but I found the "magic map" and it will speed things up.  If you like this kind of game format (running around, throwing crap, and teleporting everywhere) I highly recommend Ultima Runes of Virtue 2 for SNES.  It's just like this game only bigger.

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 10:58:35 am »
Ouch.  I gotta quit.  The incomplete elements of what I managed to map are up at my site but they wont' be there forever so get em now.

Offline SKARD

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 07:17:35 pm »
Okay. Looks good. I was thinking of replaying it and drawing the general shape of the levels myself. With these I have quite a bit to go from. Thanks.

Offline SKARD

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 06:12:04 pm »
Could you post that again? The hard drive I saved it to died this past weekend.

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 06:22:33 pm »
!! I can't it's gone.  I thought you had them so I erased them on my end.

Offline SKARD

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 04:33:28 am »
I thought I had it too until my hard drive decided otherwise. I lost everything I worked on over the past 3 months.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 10:04:37 am »
Losing work like that is always extremely frustrating. Hopefully you'll backup your data on DVDs from now on; I never trust a hard drive to be reliable for that purpose.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 12:42:41 pm »
CDs and DVDs don't last forever either. On multiple occasions I've picked up old discs I burned and the shiny part just flaked off. I just use multiple hard drives with scheduled backups.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 12:53:23 pm »
Funny thing is, I'm in a class that deals with just this kind of stuff, but in a business setting. The professor suggests backing up on multiple places, including an external harddrive, hard medium, and a remote server. A harddrive crash or a natural disaster can kill a business in the media industry.

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (64%) - PM (39%) - YI (11%) - SMRPG (30%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 02:31:05 pm »
Well, obviously I didn't mean that DVDs would last forever, but I trust them more than a hard drive for short-term backups. Discs will degrade over time, but a hard drive can crash anytime it feels like it. And depending on the brand, your chances of recovering your data can vary quite a bit (for example, at work we'll sometimes save one by switching the electronics with an identical drive).

But Peardian is right that multiple backups on different medias is best. I use DVDs and USB sticks myself.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline SKARD

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 03:05:33 pm »
It was a drive I used for backups. The thing is I did some cleaning and organized my files so that I didn't have the originals when this one failed. Since I'm not a business I can't afford a lot of places to store data.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 03:36:31 pm »
I keep all my important stuff on a RAID 1 array and archive things to CD/DVD.  CD/DVD doesn't last forever, but if you take care of it and don't buy the cheapest media, it should last longer than a hard drive or magnetic media (tape, zip, etc).  Solid state isn't immune to failure either (especially the cheap USB sticks), but it's always good for a backup copy.

I buy the slim plastic cases so each CD/DVD has a home.  It's a good investment.

Offline SKARD

Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street by Monarch
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 11:21:30 am »
Back to the original subject, I've gone through and replayed it myself. I now have maps of levels 1-10. However, before I consider them complete there are still some areas that trouble me. On level 6 there is a cross shaped platform. On level 7 there's a room with 2 ladders in it.

My suspicion is that these had some significance in an earlier version and are just inaccessible in version 2.0. Support for this theory is that when approaching the ladder on level 8 to reach an area on level 2 I get sent there immediately. Where as if I were allowed to reach the ladder normally it might first send me to level 7, then level 6, before getting to level 2.

Also on level 9 there's a room in the fire trial that I can't reach the edges of due to teleporting. Plus on level 5 I can't see all of the walkway around the starting position.

If anyone has details about these areas it would be appreciated.

Offline SKARD

Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street by Monarch
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 03:24:59 pm »
Since it seems no one knows how to access these remaining areas I filled them in with the primary tiles.

You can find them here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?km1ecwjmdmz
There's are also some extra maps I made of level 9 and I included a walkthrough that I found online.