Author Topic: How did you find VGMaps.com?  (Read 30746 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
How did you find VGMaps.com?
« on: December 25, 2008, 11:48:41 pm »
Since there seem to be a handful of new users, as well as some users from long ago that have come back recently, I'm wondering if something has caused this flux of visitation.

How did you come to VGMaps.com?  Were you searching for something (and what was it you were looking for)?  Did you stumble across a link?  Did someone tell you about this site?

If any of you veterans remember too, you're also welcome to share.

As for me?  Well, I made VGMaps.com back in 2002 after tossing around the idea of having a site dedicated to screenshot maps.  Originally, I wanted GameMaps.com, but as you can see, it was taken.  So I came to claim VGMaps.com instead and the rest is history.

Offline Revned

RE: How did you find VGMaps.com?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 01:17:58 am »
It's been so long that I cann't remember, but I'm fairly sure I was specifically searching for maps.

Offline Will

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 01:35:35 am »
I had seen gamemaps before I saw this site, but never thought about making my own maps. One day I saw searching on www.popuw.com for details on prince of persia when I saw the link, checked out the site and saw some of the most fascinating maps made in the last 4 years. I decided to try it out. I leafed through the GBA, SNES, Megadrive, Master System and NES emulators I had and began experimenting on making samples of each console. My first ever game maps to come here was GBA Spyro 2: Season of Fire.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 07:24:29 am »
I saw some discussion on this forum about my existing game maps thanks to the magic of HTTP referers and a tracking hit counter. The friendly forum with a lack of YouTube-grade comments made me hang around.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 09:40:09 am »
Back when I was starting mapping with Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon, I was looking for a place where people would be interested in my work (heck, the Castlevania Dungeon forum couldn't care less) and I found VGMaps. The fact that it wasn't a place full of elitist bastard who made newbies feel like useless morons but rather had people who were having fun and shared their passion made me stay :)

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 10:33:30 am »
I can't remember either since it was so long ago, but it could have been looking for maps as well. Seeing that many games I liked lacked maps at the time (like Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG) inspired me to contribute.

I'm afraid I've never actually been very connected to the community here until this very month, actually. :P

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (60%) - PM (32%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 05:20:07 pm »
I found this site through one of my older siblings.

The only reason I stopped lurking was because I felt like mapping ZZT (because I could).

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 09:52:03 pm »
RT 55J, you and osrevad are brothers?  That's news to me.  o_0  Then again, seeing as how I don't know most of any of you except by your username/avatar and whatever personality I can glean from your posts, I guess it can't be too surprising that there are people here that are related.  (Maybe we'll find out that TerraEsperZ and Revned are conjoined twins...)

Maxim and Terra, as nice as it is to hear that you like the state of people on these forums, I'm afraid it's because it isn't too big.  If this place got too popular, we'd be more likely to have less friendly people in our midst.  That's the unfortunate thing about any place with a lot of people...

And Peardian, I'm really surprised you didn't come to these forums earlier or at least more frequently, especially considering how much you've contributed.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 12:01:23 am »
I did sign up at the message board when it was hosted on omega-something and had a yellow-black-and-red theme, but I never re-signed up after it changed. I didn't post very much then, though. I'm just not one to join many message boards. You're right, though, maybe I should have came here sooner. :P

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (60%) - PM (34%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 09:40:54 am »
It found me actually.

---

Creator of over 830 maps on GameFAQs. ^_^
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 10:42:35 am »
Did it?  I guess so.  In the first few months or more, I had to seek out and ask for maps, and since you created over 830 maps on GameFAQs...

The past couple years or so, I've had something to put up almost every weekend.  And I'm glad that the forums have spawned a community that further encourages mapping.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 12:25:56 pm »
Normally I don't go looking for other sites. Usually I get an email asking if they could host my work, and I agree to it.

---

Creator of over 830 maps on GameFAQs. ^_^
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline piken

• Author of BgMapper utility for ZSNES savestates
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 12:51:16 am »
(1) Was linked to from Ian Albert's video game maps page (who covered Zelda LTTP maps quite thoroughly). (2) Via google searching for bgmapper and seeing TerraEsperZ's comment about it being antiquated but still occasionally useful ;)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 04:21:30 pm »
I can't remember.  But I had some maps I had made already and I remember submitting them, then getting hooked into submitting more.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 03:16:14 am »
I was looking for Zelda : Oracle of Seasons maps, I think. I don't remember exactly why I was searching for them, but I got this website as a result in Google.