Author Topic: Who's excited for Groundhog Day?  (Read 9375 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Who's excited for Groundhog Day?
« on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:20 am »
My groundhog outfit is almost complete!  :D

Can't wait for the Groundhog Day Parade, and playing shadow tag with and chucking snowballs at the other groundhogs.  And the family meal with pork (ground hog).

How about yourself?

Offline Revned

RE: Who's excited for Groundhog Day?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:16:20 am »
Wait, people actually celebrate it? I thought that only happened in Punxsutawney. Huh.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:23:26 pm »
The only reason people care about the holiday is because of the awesome film.

Am I right, am I right, or am I right?

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 08:09:11 pm »
Nope, because you're right :P.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:00:05 pm »
I could have made it a bit more obvious that I was joking.

February, to me, seems like a silly month.  Shorter than all other months, with so many promises of "holidays" yet there's only one real day off...for me at least.  Boo!

Feb. 2 - Groundhog Day - Who actually celebrates this?  Though I think people should, if only for a day off.  But most people don't even remember that this day is Groundhog Day, it's that insignificant.

Feb. 2 - Candlemas - While I'm Christian, I'm Baptist, not Roman Catholic.

Feb. 13 - Friday The 13th - I guess it's not a "holiday" and maybe I don't even want to notice the significance of this day anyway.  If I was superstitious, or knew more superstitious people, this could be an interesting day, but alas.  There's one again right away in March and another in November this year too...

Feb. 14 - Valentine's Day - I'm single.  And it's not a day off anyway!

Feb. 15 - Flag Day (Canada) - I'm Canadian and I don't even know what this is.

Feb. 16 - President's Day (USA) - I'm Canadian so this means nothing.  However, I should have the day off anyway, because of...

Feb. 16 - Family Day (some Canadian provinces) - THIS is the only "holiday", as in a day off, yet has no meaning behind it.  >_<  Spend time with the family?  How is that different from any holiday that has a point to it?  (I recall that the Premier in Alberta made it a provincial holiday in 1990, and two other provinces have adopted it since then.)  How ironic that the only day off I get this month is a meaningless day off.

Sometime in late February - Reading Week - I'm not in any sort of post-secondary educational institution any more.  This week off is either for studying for midterms, as the name implies, or totally not studying, in the sense that this was created as a sort of "Suicide Prevention Week".  Not to underscore the point of it, but I don't plan on killing myself, so in that sense I'll be fulfilling the week, but I don't actually have the week off, not being in school and all.

Feb. 29 - Leap Day - Non-existent this year.  And for years where it does exist, I really think it should be a day off.  Spend the extra day catching up with the Earth's orbit by being at work?  Sheesh.

(And if I wanted to extend my whining, sometimes Chinese New Year falls in February.  This year it was on Jan. 26, and I didn't have a day off for that, either.  Not much family left in the city to give me lucky red packets of money, so being Chinese was of no advantage.  >_<)

February fails to deliver.  If only I were a superstitious Roman Catholic Punxsutawnean astronomy student in love, living in Alberta while making use of my dual citizenship to celebrate both Canadian and American holidays.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 05:12:03 pm »
We use the "paid time off" system where I work.  I earn 10% of what I work in time off, that includes: holidays, vacations and sick leave.  So holidays really don't matter too much to me in terms of getting off work.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 04:50:24 pm »
With the weather so screwed up these days, what would it matter if the groundhog sees its shadow or not?

---

Creator of over 840 maps on GameFAQs. ^_^
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!