Author Topic: 2009/02: Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System) - Maxim  (Read 27714 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2009/02: Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System) - Maxim
« on: January 31, 2009, 02:59:54 pm »
User posted image
Sonic The Hedgehog

For this month's "Maps of the Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Maxim's Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System) maps.

In 1991, Nintendo's biggest rival, Sega, wanted a new mascot.  And so they created a blue hedgehog who could run really fast.  An unlikely hero?  Not any more or less than a plumber who jumps real high and eats mushrooms.  And so Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog held his own, even in his debut, up against Nintendo's Mario, who was fresh from the success of Super Mario Bros. 3 and just about to enter Super Mario World.  Mario and Sonic epitomized the 16-bit console wars.

However, though Sonic helped sell many Sega Genesises, this month we're looking at the 8-bit version of it; this was the final game for the Sega Master System (at least in North America).  It was actually released shortly after the Genesis game, and some European versions of the redesigned Master System (appropriately named the Sega Master System II) included Sonic The Hedgehog as a built-in game.

Maxim, our resident Master System fan, mapped out all six zones (which includes eighteen acts) and the eight Special Stages.  Now we can all marvel at one of the Master System's most amazing-looking games; particularly impressive are the Jungle Zone and Labyrinth Zone.

So to recognize the effort put into making the maps of the Master System's swan song, Maxim's Sonic The Hedgehog maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps of the Month for February 2009.

JonLeung

RE: 2009/02: Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System) - Maxim
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 05:00:42 pm »
Oh, I get it...

Is this because of Groundhog Day?  Hedgehogs, groundhogs...

Why aren't there more maps of the Genesis Sonic The Hedgehog games?

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:43:05 pm »
That's only February 2nd. This is maps of the month, not maps of the day or anything, but then, you know Jon... well maybe you don't.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:22:42 pm »
Halloween is only on the last day of October, yet Jon has always (IIRC) had Halloween-themed maps for that month. I don't see how this month is any different. :P

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman