Author Topic: More of an Idea than a Request  (Read 11609 times)

Offline Wario Bros

More of an Idea than a Request
« on: February 07, 2009, 02:08:14 pm »
I thought of something that this site could do:  Why not start including maps that were not in the final production of the game but are still hidden in the game?  This includes unused maps and debug rooms.  And if you don't like the idea of having the final maps and unused maps together, there could be section on VGMaps that only deals with these kind of maps.

The only games I can think of that does have unused maps still have are "Super Mario Bros. 3" and "Super Mario World."

And before you completely reject this idea, remember this: this site already has some of these (The Minus World from "Super Mario Bros." and the Debug Room from "Super Mario RGP: Legend of the Seven Stars")

What do you think?

Offline Piranhaplant

RE: More of an Idea than a Request
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:55:17 pm »
I was planning to make maps from Mario Kart DS of the extra courses.  This sounds like a good idea, but I think that they should still be put with the maps meant to be in the game.

---

Games I have mapped--Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), Mario Party 3 (N64), Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC), New Super Mario Bros. (DS), Mario Kart DS (DS)
Games I have mapped--Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), Mario Party 3 (N64), Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC), New Super Mario Bros. (DS), Mario Kart DS (DS)

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 07:36:47 pm »
I tried to draw the rough map of 'Dokan Course', but failed. What I mean is a simple line drawing of the layout of the track. Some of the beta versions of the tracks are slightly different in layout. Waluigi Pinball and DK Pass for example.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:30:33 pm »
That is an interesting idea. I recently found out that Wario Land 4 has a debug room, and I think I'd like to map it once I finish the normal levels.

Also, welcome to the forum. :D

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (64%) - PM (36%) - YI (11%) - SMRPG (0%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:49:01 pm »
I think it's a case-by-case basis.

For things like debug rooms, they may be interesting enough and worth putting up.

I recall when we were mapping Super Mario Bros. 3, someone found an extra exit in one stage.  There wasn't really anything to it, it was just an extra room.  If there are unremarkable "scraps" of unfinished areas, I don't see much point to include them here on VGMaps, especially if they're inaccessible in normal play.  Debug rooms like the one in Super Mario RPG may be among the exceptions because you can do interesting stuff in it when you do get there.

That reminds me...I never did get around to putting the second Bowser room in Super Mario Bros. 3 back in, did I?  >_>

Offline Will

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 11:49:52 pm »
The only time I ever mapped secret unlockable places, was the "Osaka, Japan" map in Fatal Fury Special and the "Secret Stage" Sailor Moon S, but those fighting game stages are nothing compared to what you find in platformers, RPGs and so on.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 02:28:16 am »
I'd have no hesitation to include things that are complete but inaccessible in the game. That's part of the magic of mapping by hacking rather than simple screenshotting.