Author Topic: map requests for super mario bros 2  (Read 15304 times)

Offline mchern

map requests for super mario bros 2
« on: May 16, 2009, 01:36:49 pm »
please list the items from supermario bros 2 for the maps ie unripened vegatables and the ripened vegetablea and the bombs and the potions etc.

Offline mchern

RE: map requests for super mario bros 2
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 01:39:34 pm »
please post all the enemies on all the maps for supermario 3,and the rest of the maps including the hammer bros maps

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 08:50:08 pm »
I have started making SMB2 maps that show all the items you can get.  They also show all enemy locations.  I only have the first 2 levels done so far, but I will be working to finish all the levels for that game.  Since the maps on this site already show the enemy locations I was not sure if it was worth have a 2nd set of maps where the only difference was showing the items.  If people want me to I can upload them to this site.  If not you can find the maps on my site at: http://www.nesmaps.com

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:31:47 am »
Couldn't there be a system to gain permission to edit someone else's maps, so we don't end up with multiple versions of the same map?  What happened with Mega Man 6 still bothers me a little.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:54:24 am »
The problem is I'm creating maps for my website as well as this one.  So even if I had permission to start with someones map as a base and then added sprites to them, it would not work for posting on my site, or for me to make money from selling a poster of that map.  Typically I will upload maps to this site if there are no maps for that game yet, or if my maps add enough information (like showing enemy and item locations) that 2 versions of maps would be welcome.  I often make two versions of maps for my website for labeled and unlabeled maps.  However for SMB2 the maps here already have enemy locations, so I would just be adding items.  So I was not sure if that was a big enough difference to warrant posting a second set of maps here.  What happened with Mega Man 6?

Offline Revned

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 01:22:20 pm »
I mapped out Mega Man 6 for consistency with my other maps, but I requested that Ryan's older maps be retained. His were missing some pixels on the left, but they also included enemies (which mine did not).

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 04:55:45 pm »
Revned had mapped much of the NES Mega Man games, though some games had a few maps done by other people.  When Revned revised all the NES Mega Man maps with various fixes last year, we didn't think it would be a big deal to replace the few maps done by others for consistency.

However, Ryan had mapped out Mega Man VI, and his maps have enemies, a detail which Revned's do not, which Ryan had pointed out just before I was going to put Revned's new ones up.  Revned stated he wasn't out to invalidate others' hard work and supported that Ryan's be kept, so they are, but it does bring to light issues about if someone makes a "better map".  And then who's to say which is better - in this case Ryan's includes enemies and Revned's is more consistent - pixel-wise, palette-wise, etc. with the other five games.

But if someone were to take someone else's existing map and just add enemies and items, and the map is clearly better, but they didn't do the initial mapping, then what?  You can't take someone else's movie and film a few extra scenes and claim the movie as your own, right?  So while no one profits here, it's still not very nice.  But how can you prove it either way?  If you're mapping the same game, and you're both doing it correctly, even if you legitimately made the map from scratch, how would we know?  And we could also keep both, but then it would be redundant.  Thankfully webspace and bandwidth are both dirt cheap since I'm now with GoDaddy, but there's still the sheer clutter of having more maps than necessary.  Surely you wouldn't want me to accept any and every map that comes my way?

Generally I use common sense, and the ones I've rejected and/or replaced in particular cases haven't caused too much backlash.  Though I'm not perfect and I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there is bitter about my choices.

But unless you have a good idea for a viable "system" as you suggest, Ryan, I'm not sure this will ever be easy.

What would be ideal is if the first person who maps a game does it perfectly, and that people don't ever plan to map the same game.  Discussing techniques and "calling dibs" on the forums helps in both cases, but only with the regulars here.  As snesmaster/Rick Bruns points out, he maps games for himself and his own web site.  Unfortunately, VGMaps.com isn't THE screenshot maps place (even if it is the biggest, it's still not very well known overall) so duplicity is bound to happen since very few people in the world even know that some of us are calling dibs on mapping certain games on these forums when they don't even know of these forums or of this site for that matter.

I will have to continue to have to judge things on a case-by-case basis, but I will consider any suggestions of alternative solutions or systems that would make future decisions easier to make.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 05:32:25 pm »
I think it makes since to have up to two versions of each map.  One with just the background, and one that is labeled with enemies, items and stuff along those lines.

There are two main reasons people like to look at these maps.  One is to enjoy the "art" of the game and see the backgrounds.  The other is as a functional guide to get through the game or find where stuff is in the game.

I think having more then two versions is a bit much however.  For example a version with just background, one with just enemies, one with just items, and yet another with both enemies and items.  I think that would be way too much clutter.

You have been doing a great job so far when deciding what maps to keep, and what maps to have two versions of.

Offline Will

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:44:49 pm »
Why not combined the enemy details with Revned's maps and put all 8 maps in both Revned and Ryan's names. That way there won't be any squabbling. Plus it saves a bit of space on the NES section. Super Mario Bros 2. I'm not sure if enemies are that badly needed, after all there aren't any big enemies midway through the game, but in Mega Man there are large robots along the way and not just pesky little drones.

Offline Revned

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 10:59:29 pm »
Because I don't want the enemies on my maps.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 08:11:15 am »
I think some people would still want to view the maps without any labels or enemies just to view the background and some people want to see the enemies, so I see no problem in having two sets of maps to cater to everyone.

However for SMB2 the maps on this site already have enemies.  There are no maps of SMB2 with just the background and there are no maps showing the items for SMB2 currently on this site.  That means there could potentially become 3 sets of maps for that game if someone else submitted maps with just the background and someone submitted maps with the items.  I think that is a bit much, so that is why I have not submitted any of my maps for that game.

However if I map a game that only has background maps on this site I will typically submit a set that is labeled with enemy and item locations, for those people who want to use the map as a guide to get through the game.

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »
For JonLeung's point, can't you just add co-author credit?

And I wonder if future maps could be presented in layers, with a Javascript function or something to trigger an overlay.