Author Topic: The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours (April Fools' 2008 Project) - Brainstorming Topic  (Read 256880 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Okay, we're in agreement then.

This is now the April Fool's project for 2008.

Though I didn't initially think it was good news that Terra didn't think he could do the overworld in time, I had already been thinking that very day that we might be in over our heads.  This has led to the postponing of the project until April of next year, which sounds like a welcome decision for all of us.  Perhaps Terra was saying what we were all already thinking.

(Besides dealing with simply putting together our maps in time, this also does another thing for us...since the first April Fool's project was only two years ago and also dealt with a Game Boy Zelda game, this puts another year in between them.  More variety is nice.)

I will obviously be occupied in the next month, as I have a plan for this year's April Fool's which I intend to carry out by myself and I have enough time to do so.  So you won't see progress from me on this project in March, though I will stop by if anyone has anything to show.

We certainly have time for a breather, but I would like everyone currently involved to still continue work on their portion rather than putting this off and then picking this up again next year.  Ideally we could have this done well before this calendar year is even over.  It may be better to set a personal goal of getting it done so that this doesn't get dragged on longer than it really needs to be, and quite a difference between 39 days and 405 days might make people slack off.  We can relax, for sure, but I wouldn't put it off to the point that we're tired of it before we do further work on it.

At least the project will be less stressful and more enjoyable now.  It was never worth doing if we had to sacrifice time for a product that ended up being rushed and not as satisfactory as it could've been.

I will inform the others (Captain Drake and bustin98 and marioman and whoever else was interested) about this latest development.  In the meantime, mum's still the word!  And for a whole 'nother year.  In the meantime I may have a tiny chance to surprise you guys this April!  Maybe.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Hey, Terra, I thought you were going to show us your progress on the overworld!

Offline TerraEsperZ

As I said before, I've been forced to do quite a bit of overtime recently. I only really got to work on the Hourglass Palace entrance, and even that didn't turn out like I wanted. See here for two discarded attempts:

User posted image

The 16 x 16 tile system and the relatively small size of a single map screen are making it difficult to achieve it the way I envisioned it.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

Hey, that looks good.  Maybe you could make it more like an hourglass if you made an inverted pyramid top that extends from the top of the existing pyramid and extends off of the screen.

Offline TerraEsperZ

That *was* my intention, but it's not easy to do it so that it doesn't look too much like it's hand-made.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

Maybe if you started the extension from the top of the stairs.  I'm no spriter, so I may be talking nonsense.

Offline marioman

Any progress?  Activity seems to have slacked off a little.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
That's to be expected somewhat, and I'm too busy (for obvious reasons) to kick anyone's ass right now even if I felt like it.

Let's just not forget about this.  I would rather get back to this soon after my current project so that it doesn't sit too long.  Maybe a soft deadline of October 1 is a good idea.  We would still have half a year to look things over before publishing it.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
At work today, the big system change was delayed to May 1.  It turned out that things were not on schedule to make it for April 1.

That sounds familiar...

In other news, I am still on track.  :P

Offline marioman

Have you made any progress on the Hourglass Palace?  How about RT 55J's Crypt?

Offline marioman

BUMP!  I found some more info on the game:

http://www.zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Mystical_Seed_of_Courage

It has some ideas, such as the supposed name of the game and the Book of Secrets.  Don't know how accurate it is, but there you go.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Yeah, I should probably say what I want to say about this project soon...  :/

Offline marioman

I don't necessarily like the tone of that comment.

Offline marioman

Just an addendum to the last informative post.  I would think that Oracle of Secrets would not be the name that they would have given the game.  I think that that was a placeholder title that was given to Farore after the game was canceled.

However, the idea of a book as the day/night switcher wouldn't be a bad idea.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
TerraEsperZ has dropped out of doing the overworld.  I'm debating as to whether or not I should just do this entirely myself, or if we should be discussing other projects we could do.

There's no point to do a project that people don't want to do, and that's the vibe I get from this.