Author Topic: The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours (April Fools' 2008 Project) - Brainstorming Topic  (Read 252870 times)

Offline RT 55J

We could scale back the scope of the project like I suggested earlier.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
It's near the end of the year...time to put on our thinking caps!

At this point, I'm agreeing with RT 55J - it'll have to be a simpler one.

Any ideas?

If I wasn't going to be looking for another job this Christmas break, I could've put a big dent in what needed to be done to finish off LoZ:OoH...

Offline marioman

I think that a complete set of maps would be more believable, but then again I am not the one of the actual mappers.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I never said I wanted to do anything incomplete...

The easiest thing is yet another fake remake...Super Kid Icarus didn't take too long, thanks to Revned's Tile Slicer/Splicer(/Swapper)...but you can only do remakes so much, right?

Offline RT 55J

imo, a complete set would be less believable, because the game was canceled at least 7 months (more likely longer) before the game was released in Japan.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline Revned

I'd have to agree with RT 55J. An incomplete map set would make it seem more like the real thing.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
A prototype should still have more than what we have.

Maybe we could do the overworlds.  There's certainly a lot of puzzlish mechanics involved in making dungeons.

Then again, there's some of that in the overworlds, of course, to force the order of dungeons and whatnot.

Hmmm...which do I like better, dungeons or overworlds?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I've made an important decision...

And that is, to get off my lazy ass and do this.  Myself, if I have to.  I think I made this ultimatum before.  But it's pretty clear now that I'm pretty much the only one with more than a passing interest in this.

ROUGH ESTIMATE TIME!

288 screens = 8 main dungeons x 36 rooms (based on an average of OoA/OoS's dungeons)

227 screens = one overworld (based on an average of the main overworlds of OoA/OoS, and the second overworld should be really easy)

---

515 screens

106 = Days until April 1

Approximately 5 screens a day?  I think I could do it.  I'll recalculate the figures but even counting a couple smaller extra dungeons, the fact that the night world is going to be more than a palette swap of the day world, and corrections, adjustments, tweaks and balances it can't be too far off.  Maybe I'll do six or seven a day to make sure I have time.

Not that I don't appreciate your guys' input so far, but the best way to avoid things getting stuck in "development hell" is to just kick the ball to get it rolling myself.  I'll start with the overworld as I imagine it and show you guys later if I need help with the dungeons later, though I plan to lay down every pixel myself at this point.

And if I don't finish the dungeons or find myself rushing them, at least I'll have the overworlds.

Offline RT 55J

imo, the finished product should have 6 complete dungeons and a half finished overworld to make it seem sufficiently "beta-ish". Given the fact that we already have 2 complete dungeons that can be used, that significantly would reduce your workload.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline TerraEsperZ

Sorry for not participating, but knowing myself, I both wouldn't accomplish much of this *and* my own multiple (and usually overly delayed) projects. Good luck all the same JonLeung :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

Great!  I will continue to give input as I can.

Offline Grizzly

I am not sure if I told this already, but I am out of this project, sorry. I do not even have enough time/delight to create normal maps and creating creative selfmade ones is way off at the moment.

But it's nice that this project is still in the makes and that you, JonLeung, will keep the ball running. Good luck and prosperity :)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Yesterday I made a rough sketch (on a grid) of how I imagine the overworld.

Today I laid the groundwork for a whole 'nother dungeon.  I selected the tiles, arranged all the rooms; I essentially set it up.  I still have to place obstacles and puzzles, obviously, but it's more than I had expected to do in one sitting.

Funny how quickly I can work when I'm suddenly motivated.  :P

Offline Revned

Well, good luck. I'm anxious to see it come together.

Offline marioman

Wow.  That's some great progress you are making there.  Can't wait to see the finished product.