Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Maps Of The Month / Re: 2009/04: Metroid Dread (DS) - JonLeung
« Last post by JonLeung on June 15, 2021, 09:17:52 AM »
Now that Metroid Dread was just announced in the Nintendo E3 2021 Direct as a real game coming out this October, it's fun to revisit this.  Man, this rumoured title has been around a long time, hasn't it?
Now that the PC version of the game is fully mapped, comparisons between the PC and SNES versions can be made much more easily. While I at first sided more towards the SNES version, after mapping out the PC version, I've taken a better liking to its colour scheme, even the extremely iron-rich soil that is pervasive across all of Britannia! ;D

As I was getting closer to completing this map set, I kept on discovering more items that can be picked up! Namely the crosses in cemeteries as well as pennants being two examples. I think I had simply looked at them in-game and surprisingly discovered that they weighed a certain amount in stones. I don't think I included those two things in the map legends, because I would have had to amend a number of other maps I had already finished working on, and I simply wanted to get the maps to Jon as soon as I possibly could. So whenever I find some spare time, I'll add those items to the appropriate maps.
VGMaps Social Board / Hello world
« Last post by Ejvinboals on June 05, 2021, 03:31:57 PM »
:):):):)

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to FlyingArmor's and Zerker's Ultima VI: The False Prophet (PC) maps.

On a stormy night, a red moongate appears before the hero known as the Avatar.  Entering it and expecting to be taken back to Britannia, the Avatar is instead captured and bound to be sacrificed by demon-like creatures.  Rescued at the last moment by his friends, Dupre, Shamino and Iolo, they escape to Lord British's throne room, where the Avatar learns of attacks from the Gargoyles, who have captured the shrines of Virtue.  Though initially setting out on a quest to stop the invaders, might there be another side to this story?

Building on and improving on previous Ultima adventures, the whole world is now set to the same scale, with no "zooming-in" on towns, and no more first-person perspective in dungeons, providing a seamless, continuous journey across this open world.  While Zerker provided the original 15-megabyte, 16384 x 16384 map of Britannia (he'd also mapped out Ultima VII), FlyingArmor has taken a deep dive by taking on all of the dungeons - and a whole other world beyond Britannia.  But what is even more impressive than putting up all of these beautiful, colourful VGA pixels is marking every single item in the game!  There are literally thousands of objects - and whether they're out in the open, or within containers - FlyingArmor has put it all out there for your perusal, so you should have no problem finding anything you want or need.  (Though remember, a person who abides by the Virtues shouldn't steal...)  Such detail is appreciated in any set of maps, but much more so in a huge, open world like Britannia, where there are just so many things to take and use!

So to recognize the effort put into thoroughly mapping this open-world classic, FlyingArmor's and Zerker's Ultima VI: The False Prophet (PC) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for June 2021.
Maps In Progress / Re: Electromax - getting to work on PS1 maps!
« Last post by Electromax on May 20, 2021, 03:29:57 PM »
I love seeing 3d maps rendered in an isometric perspective like this, even though they're not always easily "readable" because rooms will overlap with one another and ceiling geometry is sometimes visible.
Also, because of the primitive graphics of the game, it's not always easy to tell where edges are located. When older 3D games are rendered like this, I've always wondered how much better/worse it would look with a visible outline around edges.

Thank you for such an amazing video, and I'm glad that you'll be making maps for the next two games as well.
Can't wait to check out the maps by myself!

Thanks! Yeah, I often get confused by perspective when trying to find the best angle overall for each level, reminds me of that bit in Indiana Jones 3 when the perspective shifts and he realizes he's on a bridge. Peardian's Ocarina of Time iso maps are my favorite, but TR's levels fit together a bit differently and it's difficult to separate a single room so I wasn't able to achieve that level of clarity (partially why only the overhead map parts are labeled). For TR2 and 3 with a lot more verticality, I might try separating floors a bit more and trying more severe angles maybe.
« Last post by JonLeung on May 20, 2021, 02:38:03 PM »
Tomb Raider maps are up now!  Always appreciate maps of 3D games.

As I told Electromax, I didn't really get into the Tomb Raider series until Tomb Raider: Legend (which to my understanding is the first reboot) so these OG Lara Croft adventures are definitely fascinating even without nostalgia, at least for me.  I have played Tomb Raider: Anniversary, which is a remake of this one, but that was a while ago.  One of the very few things I do remember about it is that there is a dinosaur, probably a T. Rex, which I see is here in the Lost Valley.  Can't go wrong with dinosaurs!

Anyway, thanks again, Electromax!
« Last post by TerraEsperZ on May 19, 2021, 08:51:53 PM »
I love seeing 3d maps rendered in an isometric perspective like this, even though they're not always easily "readable" because rooms will overlap with one another and ceiling geometry is sometimes visible.
Also, because of the primitive graphics of the game, it's not always easy to tell where edges are located. When older 3D games are rendered like this, I've always wondered how much better/worse it would look with a visible outline around edges.

Thank you for such an amazing video, and I'm glad that you'll be making maps for the next two games as well.
Can't wait to check out the maps by myself!
« Last post by Electromax on May 19, 2021, 08:36:23 PM »
Finished and submitted TR maps to the site! I also used the base maps to make this Youtube video breaking down the parts of various levels + some infographics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiToc0SYkds
Map Requests / Re: JonLeung's Requests
« Last post by JonLeung on May 17, 2021, 07:59:27 AM »
I would certainly accept a map of that.  Perhaps there could be a raw one and one that highlights the areas that Pac-Man can actually traverse.

Is the proper name "Maze 256" or "Level 256" or "Round 256" or "Stage 256"?  I always like to use the in-game terminology, but if there isn't any, I would prefer to use something more accurate, like "Maze" in this particular case.  I would also use "Level" if that is indeed the accepted term for something like this that I imagine must be talked about a lot, I just usually avoid "Level" unless it is explicitly said somewhere within the game, as I feel the word is overused.
Map Requests / Re: JonLeung's Requests
« Last post by Grizzly on May 16, 2021, 12:39:11 AM »
While most Pac-Man stages look identically to the mapped stage 1, it also has the infamous final level 256 which looks half different. If it needs an extra map though is debatable because it is unbeatable, even with a map. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10