Author Topic: Lufia & The Fortress of Doom (SNES)  (Read 43151 times)

Offline Trop

Re: Lufia & The Fortress of Doom (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 05:57:08 pm »
That's great!  And aw shucks it weren't nothing.  I don't know what open canvas might call it but in photoshop when Linear Dodge fails try Screen.  I've screwed around a lot with annoying transparencies, if you hit a block with them again I'll be glad to help.  As for other projects, welllll, maybe you could give me a hand with a Jap queue item?  That Kachou Shima Kousaku would be easy since it's just a text game.  All you'd be doing is making a graph of all the choices.

Offline alucard

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 11:07:59 am »
Hey are these Lufua games any good? I like RPG games like Dragon Warrior/Quest and was wondering how this series compares. I was considering buying the Lufia games for the SNES, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance.  I heard a new one is coming for the DS too.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 10:48:04 pm »
Actually the water needed Linear Burn, but it only took a few seconds fiddling around to figure that out. :) I've downloaded all the Japanese games that have requests, so I'll take a look at them to see how they'll be.

I would say the Lufia games are pretty good (I've played them all except for the GBA one). With you liking Dragon Quest as you say, I don't think you will be disappointed. It follows the traditional Japanese RPG formula pretty well in terms of battle and exploration. Later sequels have challenging puzzles, IP skills (sort of similar to FF7's limit breaks), randomly generated dungeons, etc. So if you can get them, I'd say go for it.

The new one for the DS looks pretty interesting. It's a re-imagining of Lufia II but takes an action RPG approach. Don't know if I should buy the Japanese version (so I can have fun practicing Japanese) or just wait for the North American release, heh.

Offline Paco

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 03:41:46 am »
I would say the Lufia games are pretty good (I've played them all except for the GBA one). With you liking Dragon Quest as you say, I don't think you will be disappointed. It follows the traditional Japanese RPG formula pretty well in terms of battle and exploration. Later sequels have challenging puzzles, IP skills (sort of similar to FF7's limit breaks), randomly generated dungeons, etc. So if you can get them, I'd say go for it.

I played Lufia - The Ruins of Lore for GBA and it was disappointing compared to the SNES-Versions. There is also Ancient Cave with 60 Floors and different Rules. You can caught about 200 Monster and train them (just like Pokemon.). You can finde various Alchemist to mix some new Stuff with rare Stuff.

What bother me the most is the Graphic of the Items, Armor, etc.. Most Armor for example have the same Graphic, the only different is the Color. There is like 4 different Armor-Graphic in over 10-20 Color like Blue, brown, red, Yellow, etc.. i better stop here before it gets too long.

@Flying what do you plan to map next after this? ^^
Legends never dies.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 08:08:06 pm »
I've got a few things in the works. I'm working on the map of Britannia for Ultima VI: The False Prophet for the SNES. It's the biggest map I've ever worked on so far (it'll be be 16384 x 16384 pixels in the end) and I think I'm only about a quarter of the way through it. Not sure if I'd want to tackle all the dungeons, but for now I'll just stick with the Britannian surface.

Besides that, I've begun tackling Final Fantasy IV and VI. :) I may also map V in the future, but for now I'll stick to what I'm more familiar with. For now I'm just making the raw maps; may as well get all that grunt work out of the way first. Then I'll later play through the games and label all the chests and stuff like that.

I may need to start a "FlyingArmor's map projects in progress and planned" thread... heheh. :D

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 07:08:45 am »
I was just thinking on Saturday that Ultima VI: The False Prophet is probably one of my favourite games that would work on our first real computer (which was an IBM PC 286).  I love the PC version.  I don't know how different the Super NES one is, and I guess Ian Albert already tackled the PC version on his site.

And yes, we could use some Final Fantasy IV and VI!  I mentioned earlier how surprising it is that they haven't been tackled earlier.  (Or the series as a whole!  Labelled Final Fantasy (I) maps would be sweet, maps of the formerly-Japanese-only II, III, and V would be helpful, and as there are PC versions of VII and VIII and those have prerendered backgrounds for the most part, I imagine those should be relatively easy to map...IX would be really cool too, I liked that more than most people seemed to...well, that's pretty much the whole main series that's (f)easibly(?) mappable, and I think one of the biggest RPG series deserves at least some of these!)

I'm too lazy to check if it was mentioned earlier, or to look it up, but wasn't there a Super Game Boy or Game Boy Color Lufia game?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:10:40 am by JonLeung »

Offline Paco

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:34:26 am »
Besides that, I've begun tackling Final Fantasy IV and VI. :) I may also map V in the future, but for now I'll stick to what I'm more familiar with. For now I'm just making the raw maps; may as well get all that grunt work out of the way first. Then I'll later play through the games and label all the chests and stuff like that.

I may need to start a "FlyingArmor's map projects in progress and planned" thread... heheh. :D

FF4 and 6 for SNES? COOL! If you need Help from me. I am not a Master yet (despite DQ3R Maps ^^), but you can teach me where needed. This will be useful.

And yes, we could use some Final Fantasy IV and VI!  I mentioned earlier how surprising it is that they haven't been tackled earlier.  (Or the series as a whole!  Labelled Final Fantasy (I) maps would be sweet, maps of the formerly-Japanese-only II, III, and V would be helpful, and as there are PC versions of VII and VIII and those have prerendered backgrounds for the most part, I imagine those should be relatively easy to map...IX would be really cool too, I liked that more than most people seemed to...well, that's pretty much the whole main series that's (f)easibly(?) mappable, and I think one of the biggest RPG series deserves at least some of these!)

I can map FF 1-3 for NES for the Start (maybe later then for other Versions too), but i need to finish MM3 Maps first (and Lands of Lore Maps too).

I'm too lazy to check if it was mentioned earlier, or to look it up, but wasn't there a Super Game Boy or Game Boy Color Lufia game?

That is Lufia - The Legend Returns for Game Boy Color. didnt play it yet.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:22:46 am by Paco »
Legends never dies.

Offline Trop

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 09:17:43 am »
Flying Armor, you doing Ultima 6?  That's great, I just started Ultima Runes of Virtue 2.  Glory to Ultima, more people should play this series.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 09:55:52 pm »
@ Jon: The most obvious difference is the much reduced colour palette. There was also some minor changes to some buildings, whether it be actual modification of the architecture or a different set of tiles. But for the most part both versions are pretty much the same.

That one thread served as a little motivator to get rolling with those two games actually! I had done one or two maps a while ago for each game just for the heck of it, but wasn't planning on working on the whole game. But now's a good time as any, right? :)

It would be totally awesome to see maps of the PS1 FFs! It'd be a lot more work to produce them of course, but nonethless doable.

@ Paco: Hey, thanks for offering! I'll let you know if I do.

@ Trop: Yep! It's definitely up there with Final Fantasy in being one of my favourite RPG series. And I'm glad to hear you're working on Runes of Virtue 2. I had tried my hand at mapping a few towns and part of the first dungeon, but that incredibly complex water animation that the game uses is what stopped me from getting any further, heheh.

Offline Trop

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 08:05:43 pm »
Yeah the water is a huge pain.  I thought about tearing it out and trying to replace it with a bgmapper rip.  Now I'm having more trouble trying to enter rooms without disturbing any items till I can snap a picture.  And the floors with rotating items, ugh.