Author Topic: One Red Paperclip  (Read 8573 times)

Offline Revned

One Red Paperclip
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:42:23 pm »
So, one year and a month ago a guy decided that he was going to trade one red paperclip for something else, trade that for something else, etc. until he got a house. Well, he did it. He got a house from just a plain red paperclip. Check it out: http://oneredpaperclip.com/

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: One Red Paperclip
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:48:56 pm »
Didn't you post about that guy a while ago? Or at least, someone on a board I visit did because I distinctly remember hearing about him, though he hadn't reached his goal of getting a house.

While a fun experiment, it's also flawed I think because in this day and age, anyone can get famous for pulling stunts like this and people are more willing to help, which kind of takes away a bit from the exploit.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 01:54:35 pm »
I didn't, but I've also heard of it before. Yes, I do think it would have been better if he didn't have the publicity. Some of those trades obviously wouldn't happen in a normal situation. I'd like to see someone do the same thing, but either tell what happened after he's finished or do it anonymously so people don't say "hey, you're the paperclip guy!" and give him stuff.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 02:08:07 pm »
It would be cool in this day and age to see someone make it "Scrooge McDuck" style, starting with a dime and turning it into a fortune through pure hard work.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)