Author Topic: Castlevania Legends (GB)  (Read 15949 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Castlevania Legends (GB)
« on: August 29, 2012, 12:26:02 am »
I mapped the first four stages of this game in 2009, but only started polishing them today after reading JonLeung complain again that this *gem* (huge sarcasm here) was still unmapped :P.

So here's what's done so far. I used an outline to make the meats, 1-Ups and special items stand out and even added a few framed "tips" for parts of the stages that aren't obvious. I also decided to use the colors of each stage on a Game Boy Color for the title and map screens instead of their original palette since they're not that important and it allows the maps to compress a bit more.

Completed:

*Updated 11/09/12*
Stage 1: Outside the Castle

*Updated 11/09/12*
Stage 2: Inside the Castle

*Updated 11/09/12*
Stage 3: The Clock Tower

*Updated 11/09/12*
Stage 4: The Top Floor of the Castle

See further down for the last two:

*Updated 11/09/12*
Stage 5: The Cathedral

*Updated 11/09/12*
Hidden Stage: The Dungeon
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:21:07 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Castlevania Legends (GB)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:52:18 am »
Well, it is the last one of those listed in the Game Boy Game Atlas topic that has zero maps on the site.  You know, completism.  Or is it completionism?  Either way, might as well finish that off.  Not just for that topic, but another step in mapping all of Castlevania as well.

I mean, we even have the arcade game Haunted Castle.  I haven't played Legends much, but I don't imagine it's as bad as Haunted Castle!  Given the popularity of the Castlevania series here (even if this one has been officially removed from the main continuity), it'll eventually be mapped sooner or later, even if I am a little surprised it hasn't been sooner.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:34:20 am »
It's really not *that* bad but it's quite a step back from Belmont's Revenge in many aspects. The graphics are rather unimpressive, the stages quite long and boring and the enemies like to swarm you like crazy in addition to respawning the second they move off screen. The music is also quite inferior to Belmont's Revenge although the song themselves aren't bad; they just feel like they would have sounded better on superior hardware.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:27:54 am by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:17:21 am »
I've already updated the first post with maps for Stage 1: the Graveyards, Stage 2: Castle Halls and Stage 3: Clock Tower. Let me know what you think of the format I've used so far.

*EDIT*

Forgot to update the first two maps so I'll do that tonight.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:18:27 am by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 11:04:49 pm »
I've updated the first post with the map for Stage 4: Castle Keep as well as updated versions of the first three stages. Let me know what you think of the format, if I've made typos, etc.
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:13:14 pm »
Here are the last two maps, as well as various changes to the first four, adding in boss and miniboss names and correcting the stage names. I used every available source to be as accurate as possible considering that most sites seem to contradict each other.

The stage names are from the English manual and are, sadly, more generic than those I was using previously. They're official at least, and most likely accurate translations from the Japanese manual from what little I've been able to figure out using an online translator. Ditto for the names of the bosses aside from using "Death" instead of "Grim Reaper" since the later sounds more like a description than a name. As for the minibosses, they're only named in the Japanese manual but only one (Flying Wolf) was really puzzling and its name seems to have been translated accurately oo.

Now, before I actually submit these to the site, I'd really like some feedback. I've never added so much text information on any map I've done before these so I'm a bit nervous that I might have made typos or grammar mistakes. Or worse, that people just don't like having so many text boxes on their screenshot maps. So please, be honest!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:20:50 pm by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline qwert_vs_qwerty

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:21:09 am »
Well, I would have said what item drops from each candle. Well, for example like this. Or at least, special weapon (ax, holy water, the cross, etc.)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 08:17:39 am »
Showing the content of every candle, 99% of which contain small hearts would have been unnecessary, though I'll most likely add the crystals to upgrade your whip.

Also, this game doesn't use the special weapons the way the earlier games do. You simply collect one in each stage (except stage 5) to get the best ending but you don't get to use them yourself. Since Legends was meant as the earliest Belmont at the time, it was meant to symbolize her collecting the weapons that would become iconic to her bloodline.
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:42:00 pm »
Didn't notice any mistakes in the text. It all looks good, but as you might expect from my more vocal days, I'm not much of a fan of the map-as-a-walkthrough style. Also, you did a great job on the borders, but I personally find them a bit distracting. They're very "heavy" visually.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 10:17:34 pm »
You know what? I actually agree with you on both parts. I simply wanted to challenge myself by doing something different and making the maps at least useful if they're not going to be pleasing to the eyes. I knew JonLeung would appreciate the format at least but don't expect this to become the norm for me. I normally map games that I find either pretty or interesting so I have little needs for excess texts and graphics.

As for the borders, yeah I was afraid they would look too busy and again, I wanted to do a bit more than the simple line I usually use for that purpose. The effect would look a lot better if they were a different colour to help them stand out from the maps themselves but I deliberately chose to use only the 4 colours of each stage to make the maps compress even more.

Overall, I've decided to leave them as is (except for the whip crystals which I spent the whole evening adding in) not because I think the choices I made are the best but mostly because I don't want to waste any more time "downgrading" what already took me several hours of work to "beautify". Consider this project a big learning experience for me as well as being far more than what this poor excuse of a game deserves.

Its only merit, before being retconned out of the official timeline, was featuring not only a woman as a Belmont, but as the *first* Belmont. Something that IGA (who handled the franchise from Symphony of the Night to just before Lord of Shadow) was quick to declare too unrealistic to be believable. Imagine that, a strong female historical figure; laughable right?

*dripping with sarcasm*
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:30:46 pm by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)