Author Topic: Game Boy Game Atlas (a "continuation" of the original NES Game Atlas)  (Read 102143 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
After the success of the "NES Game Atlas" recreation topic, where we sought to recreate the first Nintendo Power Player's Guide, the NES Game Atlas, we followed it up with a "Super NES Game Atlas" topic.  There was no actual "Super NES Game Atlas" (as I explained there, the Player's Guide simply titled "Super NES" was not an atlas), but we (mostly) fulfilled what it could have been by expanding upon the series covered in the NES Game Atlas.  There was no StarTropics for the Super NES, and at the time of this writing, Yoshi's Island is incomplete but in progress (and Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars, though complete for years, is undergoing a revision).  While that topic wraps up, it sounds like there might be some interest in a "Game Boy Game Atlas".  (Again, the Player's Guide simply titled "Game Boy" was not an atlas.)

The same format as the last two topics is used, with the focus on the same series.  This time around, there aren't any spin-offs (unless you count the Mega Man Xtreme games); though many of these games could be considered spin-offs from the console versions (Mega Man and TMNT use a numbered-sequel system but are separate from the console series, for instance), they tend to have the same kind of gameplay.  You won't find Mario Kart or Mario's Time Machine here - and spin-offs like Dr. Mario don't require maps.  Again, the only Disney games listed are those by Capcom.  I will also include the Game Boy Color in this topic and indicate which games are for it with a "+".  There weren't many games in these series for the Game Boy Color to warrant a separate topic, and most have already been mapped anyway.  A possible "Game Boy Advance Game Atlas" will probably be a separate topic.

Mario Mania
O Super Mario Land
O Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
- +Super Mario Bros. Deluxe

Amazing Zelda
O The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening
O +The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
O +The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Ages
O +The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Seasons

Mega Mechanical Mayhem
O Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
O Mega Man II
O Mega Man III
O Mega Man IV
O Mega Man V
O +Mega Man Xtreme
O +Mega Man Xtreme 2

Disney Dizziness
O Mickey's (Dangerous) Chase
O Duck Tales
O Duck Tales 2
O Darkwing Duck
O TaleSpin
O Who Framed Roger Rabbit
O The Little Mermaid

Ninja Magic
O Ninja Gaiden Shadow

Turtles In Trouble
O Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall Of The Foot Clan
O Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (II): Back From The Sewers
O Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue

Castles Of Horror
O Castlevania: The Adventure / O +Konami GB Collection Vol. 1 (E) GBC remake
O Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge / O +Konami GB Collection Vol. 4 (E) GBC remake
O Castlevania Legends
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:08:07 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
A few more notes:

The only Disney/Capcom game for the Game Boy Color is Magical Tetris Challenge.  I'm not sure if it needs to be included, being primarily a puzzle game.  But screenshots seem to show various locales in some kind of story mode, and I didn't have a chance yet to see if there's anything that constitutes a real "map" there.

Similarly, I recall there was some kind of "walkable-area-in-between-puzzles" the Japanese sequel to Mario's Picross.  Again, I don't think it's something one could get lost in, but for completion's sake, should it be added?

Speaking of Japanese-only games, the list currently has none of them, since I just hastily looked these up in GameFAQs and couldn't recall any off the top of my head.  Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

All Game Boy Color games are already complete, except for Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (a little ironic, isn't it?) and the possible Magical Tetris Challenge.

Unsure if The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening needs to be mapped, being the original greyscale version of the DX version (minus the Color Dungeon and the camera place)...

Unsurprisingly, the Mega Man chapter is already 100% complete, thanks to marioman's (incredibly popular) Mega Man topic.

I'm not surprised that the Disney, TMNT, and Ninja Gaiden chapters are lacking, but seeing as how those are Will Mallia's favourites in the Super NES Game Atlas...  >_>

And this is a dumb question but is it called "Castlevania: The Adventure", or "The Castlevania Adventure"?

Offline TerraEsperZ

Most people seem to write it as "Castlevania: The Adventure", but the game logo looks like it could be interpreted both ways.

I just noticed that "Castlevania Legends" has yet to be mapped. I might just do that one considering how short the game is.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

I've got Link's Awakening.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Somehow, I'm not surprised.

I'm saying that to both Terra and Revned.

Offline TerraEsperZ

One question though: should I map the game in the standard 4 shades of grey, or use the Super Game Boy colour enhancement?

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
It's funny...looking at the list, I don't think many of them have specific or special Super Game Boy palettes.  It's like most of those series just missed out during that phase....

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Even though Kirby isn't up there, I will gladly map out KDL2 from where Raccoon Sam left off (or poke him until he starts back up).

You know, after I've finished some other projects first.

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (64%) - PM (39%) - YI (11%) - SMRPG (35%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Will

I've already started and I'm on to The Little Mermaid.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Pretty quick on mapping all of The Little Mermaid there, Will.  I only made this topic yesterday...

Offline TerraEsperZ

I'm done with the first three stages of Castlevania Legends, and after replaying it after several years, it becomes obvious why no one did it sooner: this game is horrible.

The graphics are dull and simplistic, the music is nothing to write home about, the stages are looooong, and although Sonia controls better than Christopher, the enemy placement is extremely cheap. Castlevania Producer IGA shouldn't have made the game non-canonical because of the story, but rather for everything else really. Expect the finished map set tomorrow.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Today we have a Challenge map for World 2-2 in Super Mario Bros. Deluxe from Piranhaplant.

Offline TerraEsperZ

Sorry, unexpected delay on my end, so the finished maps are pushed back by a week. Nobody's missing much though.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Piranhaplant

Do I need to map the Super Mario Bros. For Super Players levels to be done with Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

In case you don't know what that is, it is a mode that is unlocked when you reach a certain score in the main game.  It is just a remake of Super Mario Bros. 2 (J).

---

Games I have mapped--Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), Mario Party 3 (N64), Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC), New Super Mario Bros. (DS), Mario Kart DS (DS)
Games I have mapped--Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), Mario Party 3 (N64), Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC), New Super Mario Bros. (DS), Mario Kart DS (DS)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
You yourself don't have to, but at the very least someone should...