Author Topic: Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken (for the Mega Drive)  (Read 18363 times)

Offline Zetta

Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken (for the Mega Drive)
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:11:43 am »
Yes, that title is a mouthful. It's a super rare Mega-Drive platformer from Vic Tokai based on an obscure 80s anime show of the same name. It's essentially the Japanese version of Decap Attack from 1990.

Since there's a complete set of Decap Attack maps on this web-site, I would love to see a set of maps from 'Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken' to go long with it. Pretty Please!!!  ;)

Offline Zetta

Re: Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken (for the Mega Drive)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:16:02 pm »
As far as I know no one on the internet has made a map of any of the 21 levels in this game, although there's a lot of gameplay walktrhoughs for it on YouTube. I wonder if anyone here at vgmaps (like Dark Wolf) has ever heard of it, since it's much less popular than its bastardized Western version: 'Decap Attack.' The following link contains some basic information about this rare colorful 16-bit platformer gem:

http://www.segagagadomain.com/megadrive/magical-hat.htm

Does anyone have this game and is willing to put the time into it!?!

Muchos Gracias!!!

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:39:54 am »
I haven't replied to this because I haven't mapped in quite a while and I'm pretty busy until after the first of March getting ready for a convention I'm helping out with.  Since no one has taken the challenge and since I have the experience doing the others I may do this one eventually, but I can't make any promises.

Offline Zetta

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:43:32 pm »
Well, allrighty then. I won't keep my hopes up by I am pleased to hear you're interested in taking this little Japanese Mega-Drive project up.

Good luck on that upcoming convention of yours.  ;)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:44:05 am »
Fortunately, the game uses the same memory addresses for levels and backgrounds, so my scripts for Decapattack worked perfectly.  I did manage to get the first set of levels done, but this will probably be it for a few weeks, as I have to fly to the east coast next week or the week after, in addition to the convention stuff I mentioned earlier.  Jon, please consider this post a submission, and perhaps move this to maps in progress?

Here's the logo:

Level 1-1
Level 1-2
Level 1-3

Offline Zetta

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:06:20 am »
I love the spiffy Japanese logo. Thank god the DecapAttack scripts worked perfectly for this rare Japanese game.

Domo arigato, DarkWolf-san! The first set of maps look great, and I love how you include all of the enemy and item locations throughout.

:D

Offline Zetta

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:45:50 pm »
Hey DarkWolf, how is the convention going for you on the east coast??

Have you had time to work some more on this Decap Attack clone lately?

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 04:28:45 pm »
In the event anyone is following this thread still, I've resumed work on this. Going to do a sprite dump for TSR and I'll also finish the maps for VGMaps at the same time. I had to start from scratch as I seem to have misplaced the working directory I was using years ago. I've just finished the item/enemy placement on the first three maps, so that puts me back to where I was. I'll wait to do a submission until I have some new maps.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 10:20:52 pm »
I just submitted the second batch of maps which should complete the game. If you're interested in the level data without the item/enemy sprites, those are over on The Spriters Resource.

This is done! Better late than never I suppose.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 05:30:31 pm »
You know, we accept unmarked maps here too...  :P

Unless you have a thing going with The Spirters Resource, or speading the love.

Seems kind of ironic to have the spriteless ones at The Spriters Resource...  I mean, I guess as a "resource" where they want sprites and backgrounds separately available, it does makes sense... just initially sounds counterintuitive...  "Want no sprites?  Go to The Spriters Resource!"

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 09:21:01 pm »
If you're interested in the naked versions I can submit them as the labeling in all in its own layers. I just figured the "game play oriented" versions would be better suited here, with the graphics data dump versions on TSR. But there's no exclusivity or anything.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 08:10:18 am »
I find value in both marked and unmarked maps.  I'm interested in anything that you are willing to submit.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 09:16:10 pm »
When I find a few moments I'll re-save some empty copies and get them to you.