Author Topic: Tropicon's map projects  (Read 104082 times)

Offline Trop

Re: Tropicon's map projects
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 12:33:37 pm »
I tried the first level for Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel as a difficulty assessment.  Verdict: Insane Difficulty.  Looks completely harmless, is in fact a complete hell raiser.

Offline Trop

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2013, 07:01:49 pm »
I got a walk through walls code for Magic Knight Rayearth and I tested it out only to find it makes Treasure Hunter G look like a fluffy bunny difficulty wise.  It may be impossible to map.  I'll start on Pokemon soon.  Maybe next week.

Offline Trop

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2013, 09:18:20 pm »
Started in on Pokemon Black but ??? my Pokemon aren't gaining exp from battle.  What the hell?  I can't map this game if I can't build a tank.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:18:47 pm by Trop »

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2013, 01:37:56 am »
It's an anti-piracy measure in the game, probably triggered by the use of the camera code stuff. You'll just have to use even more codes to give yourself a bunch of Rare Candies or something. :P
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Trop

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2013, 04:31:16 pm »
How clever of them.  Oh well, rare candy code found, tanks made anyway.  Mapping difficulty assessment tomorrow.

Offline Trop

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2013, 11:13:54 am »
-Latest completed projects-
Magic Knight Rayearth with absurd difficulty and cheating.  Still waiting on an animation freeze code for Pokemon, can't really go forward without it.

Offline Trop

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 10:40:01 pm »
Bugs, bugs, bugs.  After nearly completing SD3 I discover I more or less have to start over.  Ardy and Alcahest have jumped from near zero difficulty to max.  And Pokemon is just one roadblock after another.  I want an easy project.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 11:19:18 pm »
It's nice to know someone here is actively mapping at least. There might be others but it's been too quiet lately for my taste. Of course, I myself have had no time to do any mapping of my own, which sucks.

I don't know about you, but projects that once seemed fast and easy now appear a lot more difficult and obstacle-ridden. I blame my increased standards for this (wanting to include enemies, keep everything on separate layers, etc). It seems that lately mapping just isn't as fun as it used to be :(.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Trop

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2013, 08:59:19 pm »
Also a good realistic set of difficulty assessments will tell you that most games are on the hard side.  Most of the easy ones have already been done.  Hah! But at least I finished the first Alcahest stage.

Offline Trop

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2013, 08:37:22 pm »
Alcahest!  An old favorite all mapped out.  The Kirby people should make more RPGs.

Offline mechaskrom

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 09:14:07 pm »
@TerraEsperZ
I'm still working on Suikoden 2 and it will take me a few more months to finish. However, I understand how you feel and agree completely with your post. High standards are definitely one factor that make projects more difficult and time-consuming. But I appreciate high quality maps and I'm probably not the only one.

Suikoden 1 maps took me about 5-6 months (2-3 hours per day) to finish and Suikoden 2 will take even longer. The sequel is a bit bigger than the first game, but the biggest reason it will take longer is that I wanted to create a few tools to help me map games. So hopefully my future projects will be easier (especially psx games) at least.

I don't think people realize how much work and time it can take to create a map (unless they have done it themselves) so I find it impressive how many maps some mappers like Trop, TerraEsperZ and many others manages to complete. So big kudos to all contributors to vgmaps. :)
Some tools and other stuff I've made:
https://github.com/mechaskrom

Offline Trop

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 07:50:30 am »
The Ardylight Foot project has been canned as I would need whole new stacks of codes to get any further into it.

Offline Trop

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2014, 07:18:38 pm »
Dual Orb 2.

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2014, 07:23:45 pm »
Well Trop do you want to take on another few projects? (sarcasim..) ; )

I've checked out some of the maps mentioned here. Not bad a Tall.

Cheers

Offline Trop

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:58 pm »
Actually yes.  I've added Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 3, and Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland to the list.  Who knows if I'll ever get around to them though.