Author Topic: Tropicon's map projects  (Read 104071 times)

Offline GHS

Re: Tropicon's map projects
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2015, 03:11:03 pm »
would you say those games (dark half, energy breaker) are as big or bigger and more complex than landstalker?

As for BGmapper I had dificulty with it (too much of a hasal). I was wondering if it could help me with the cave stage in snes Popfulmail.
I don't know. should I continue withe popfulmail even though no one is going to translate it (same hacking difficulty as Ys5) and ladystalker, I stopped because I cant fined or make a cheat code to walk through walls.

Offline Trop

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2015, 10:15:14 pm »
About the same size overall but MUCH more complex.  Both Dark Half and Energy Breaker use tons of graphic tricks.  One of my favorite in Dark Half so far is random ambiance.  Things like torches or pools of water move independently of each other or background animations.   
BGMapper is one of the easiest tools to use, you won't get far if you can't make it work.  I ripped the Popful Mail world map in one shot using BGMapper, although for some reason George s is getting the credit for it.  The rest of Popful Mail can't be done in BGMapper though and a walk through walls code won't help you with a platformer unless you're character can also fly.  What you need are camera control codes like this 7E064C40 to let you see around walls.

Offline GHS

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2015, 07:16:43 am »
You did the popful mail world map! I found that on line years ago but did not know who it was from. sorry about that I'll ask JonLeung to give you credit for it then, OK.

I'll try again with BGMapper on Lady Stalker world map. Popful mail cave stage has this circle around mail and every thing out of the circle is dark. any way of getting around that. I mean is there a way to illuminate the whole screen? As for  a Lady Stalker  walk through walls
 cheat code, I'll ask my bro for help, see if he can figure it out. I hope those two games get translated some day. Would fully mapping them inspire anyone to do that?

As for dark half and energy breaker your right about that the main difficulty would be the arranging the rooms. Most of my time in landstaslker and other large games was connecting the areas together. You want to make it easy to follow but also preserve its look without clustering the map sectors with overlay, lines and labels.

Offline Trop

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2015, 12:01:48 pm »
Yes you would need a graphics manipulation code to fix the dark circle.  I still don't know how I'll set up Dark Half overall, it's quite unique.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2015, 06:46:38 pm »
It's great to see you take up Dark Half, Trop. I still have that game in a drawer somewhere around here, waiting for the day when I'll actually sit down and play it from beginning to end. I think I only ever got as far as the second day.

Offline Trop

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2015, 06:38:17 pm »
You know what screw Dark Half.  It's more work then I want to do.  You can have it GHS.

Offline GHS

« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2015, 05:27:33 am »
OK I'll try to map it with whatever free time I have but without a walk through walls code it wont be as good as landstalker.
Trop, are you ever going to finish Monstania?

Offline Trop

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2015, 08:33:28 am »
For Dark Half use this code C0047A80.  The hold A and press X.
https://tcrf.net/Dark_Half

No I'll never finish Monstania.

Offline GHS

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2015, 04:42:35 pm »
the code did not work. I'm using zsnes.

Offline Trop

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2015, 07:40:31 am »
Put in the code then reset the game.  With the code running from the start it should work.

Offline GHS

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2015, 08:47:36 pm »
I see what you mean Trop about it being more work, but I'm still going to try to map it.
What do you think about these for starters?

Offline Trop

« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2015, 09:21:32 pm »
They're great.  It's good that you're noting the hidden houses on the world map.  That free movement codes is great for breaking cut scenes isn't it.  Things like the evil throne room may be difficult though.  Unless you want to completely remove the layer that's garbling pixels you'll have to use some very complicated codes.

Offline GHS

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2015, 01:56:58 pm »
Dark half is coming along fine, but the game is a little hard to play. (needed a walk-through)
Also I will continue with Ladystalker and Popfulmail. My brother has made some zsnes cheat codes like walk-through walls in Ladystalker and to remove the dark circle in Popfulmail as well as other codes to help me map thoses two games. 

Offline Trop

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2015, 05:21:51 pm »
You're a mapper, if the game is hard you cheat.  You're not there to play you're there to take it apart.
http://gamehacking.org/game/42633

Offline KeyBlade999

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2015, 09:56:31 pm »
You're a mapper, if the game is hard you cheat.  You're not there to play you're there to take it apart.
http://gamehacking.org/game/42633

Eh, I respectfully disagree. Most of my mapping projects were actually legitimate playthroughs (aside from those that didn't take only half an hour), just with an element of mapping for areas. Like Pokemon Gold/Silver - I ran a solo-Pokemon, no-shops challenge run with my Cyndaquil. It's a lot easier to motivate yourself to do it, anyways, if you have fun while doing the whole thing rather than just the mapping bits.