Author Topic: Metroid Fusion (GBA)  (Read 42509 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Metroid Fusion (GBA)
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 03:30:30 pm »
zerofighter and rocktyt have completed both Fusion and Zero Mission, which are up as of today.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 11:12:10 am »
I so didn't want to go back to mapping this game, I'm glad to see that someone else did it instead. I *am* looking forward to see if I would have done things differently from them though ;)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 10:58:08 am »
After browsing through the maps, I've noticed a ton of missing special blocks, as well as some mistakes (like a repeated column of blocks in a few places, or a missing layer on a specific screen) and some door connections that don't really work to me.

I just might pursue this one day, if only for myself (I have no intention of stealing

zerofighter and rocktyt's place on VGMaps) because I feel I had a lot of ideas on how to do thing that to me feel better than this (and yes, I do realize how arrogant this makes me sound like, even though that's not my intention). I've mellowed a bit in my pursuit of accuracy and perfection since I've worked on this and I hopefully wouldn't go crazy because of the weird layers like last time.

(And nobody better whine that I'm not working on finishing this game and that game. I *need* variety to enjoy mapping damn it!)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 10:04:16 pm »
It took more than the weekend for me to PNGGauntlet all those Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission maps.  o_0  They're all up now in optimized form.

Chozodia from Zero Mission took close to exactly five hours to optimize, and that was when it worked properly without freezing up, and on my work computer (which is faster than one of my home computers)!  I'm now using PNGGauntlet at work...hey, the computer is on all the time anyway, why not have it do some work?  This will buy me a whole 168 hours more of optimizing each week!  :D

Which would be handy if you let rocktyt and zerofighter know of whatever errors you find and if they correct them and I have to do more optimizing on them again...

Offline rocktyt

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 11:39:40 pm »
I'm looking forward to what TerraEsperZ made.

that fusion map was mainly done by zerofighter and I just did some part, I don't know the details when he's doing.

and that of zeromission was kept, I could take them out if necessary

Offline marioman

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 05:19:37 am »
You two did good job on those maps by the way.  I am still looking over them myself.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 09:59:57 am »
Welcome to VGMaps by the way Rocktyt :). Hope my previous post didn't give you the wrong impression about me. It's just that Metroid Fusion is one of my oldest mapping project, and even though I knew full well that someone was bound to finish mapping it before me (because I'm mapping so many things at the same time), it's still a bit hard to accept. So yeah, I'm a tiny bit bitter ;).

The very linear nature of the game made me want to  make maps that would showcase both how most of the sections looked "before" and "after" major events,   and the graphics made me want to have maps both with and without the various special blocks. I'm still hoping to do all that. Someday. Within this decade. I hope :(. Maybe if a level editor exists and is even partially usable, that would make my work much easier. Anyway, like I said earlier, there's no competition. I'll try and make a list of the little mistakes I found; they'll only cover a few sectors though because that's all I ever managed to fully map.

On the same topic, I'm curious to know if you mapped using screenshots taken in VBA or if you used a level editor. Getting rid of the background layer wasted a lot of my times and I'd like to know if you've found shortcuts in dealing with this. Most of the time, I had to use Visualboy Advance's Map Browser to assemble the various foreground layers, figure out what to remove to allow the background to show through and reassemble everything together.

Anyway, hope to hear again from you. I'm not a big team mapper (except for once with Revned) but I'd be fun to hear from a mapper having worked on the same game as me :).

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline rocktyt

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 12:20:29 pm »
I've also found several mistakes in the fusion map, and I told zerofighter to correct. however i haven't checked them carefully...

you've seen that those bricks of super bomb is missing and this is zerofighter's idea. He took every room after a super bomb, so many bricks were missing, and I followed this in the zeromission map. I do realised that not so good but maybe you can give some advice

The tools I used are only VBA and photoshop, I also wish I could have an editor, e.g. HyruleMagic

Now zerofighter is doing the Aria of Sorrow, maybe...   and I'm not doing any mapping at present.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 12:42:10 pm »
Since you guys like Metroid games, and apparently Castlevania, maybe you and zerofighter could give the stagnant Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night project a much-needed boost...  :D  Maybe?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 02:22:38 pm »
Playstation emulation is just too much of a hassle to do properly and isn't worth the trouble personally. Not when I have so many other games to map first :P

As for an editor, I just checked and there is one called Zero Fusion that hopefully will come out in the next few months.

As for the bricks, they can be tough to map, especially since so many of them are hidden. The super bomb thing explains why there were so many missing 'bomb' and 'crumble' blocks. I can't really offer any advice for that though, aside from taking note of which block are destroyed by a super bomb and then trying to discover what sort of blocks they were.

Also, it's nice to see that Aria will also get done soon. That's another long lost project of mine I can cross off my list; I once had the ambition of mapping all three GBA Castlevania games, and would no doubt have been finished by now if I had kept my efforts on them. The one I was furthest along was Harmony Of Dissonance, and through a hilarious misunderstanding, both me and Zeric were mapping it at the same time. I had agreed on letting him map it because he called it by its Japanese name and I was convinced he was talking about Aria Of Sorrow. Eventually though, my progress slowed down, Zeric finished his and they got posted to much praise.

If I ever get off my ass and finish Sonic CD, maybe I'll finally have maps from a high profile game posted on the site.

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 05:07:50 pm »
JonLeung Said:
Since you guys like Metroid games, and apparently Castlevania, maybe you and zerofighter could give the stagnant Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night project a much-needed boost...  :D  Maybe?

It's pretty much my project now, as no one else has mapped since the first month or two. It's more than halfway done as far as initial mapping, but then I'll have to go back through and add in items. And do something with the difficult backgrounds. That, and there are several mistakes in Ed/Wileee's oldest maps that will be difficult to correct without remapping. One of these days... *sigh*

... Anyway, great job, Rockyt. I was shocked when both of these complete map set showed up on the same day. They look great, and I'm sure TerraEsperZ won't hesitate to point out every little mistake so that you can polish them. Jon had better give you and Zerofighter Maps of the Month...

Offline Revned

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 05:16:47 pm »
I hate this forum software. *Intentional double post*

Offline marioman

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 07:05:01 pm »
TerraEsperZ said:

As for an editor, I just checked and there is one called Zero Fusion that hopefully will come out in the next few months.

There is one called Zero Fission that is supposed to be good.  It is being reprogrammed under the name Double Helix.  More info here.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 07:20:28 pm »
Sorry, I recalled the name from memory and got it wrong; I meant Zero Fission. I knew about Double Helix, but I wasn't sure which was an evolution of which.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 07:22:25 pm »
I believe that both are available for download by the way.