Author Topic: Sega Genesis Mini - full map set  (Read 34872 times)

Offline DarkWolf

Re: Sega Genesis Mini - full map set
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 01:12:51 pm »
I think that DarkWolf don't ripped this level, because it non-platformed level without objects. It includes only three small platform and enemies with a bombs or 200 JPY.

Yep, at the time I wasn't really good with generating maps from savestates or rom data.  I also made these before video recording was practical and it would have been hard to place everything accurately.

Out of curiosity, why is ToeJam & Earl marked with a dash? Does that mean incomplete? The maps uploaded should be all of the static maps possible in the game. If I remember correctly the randomized world, according to the devs, should actually be randomized and not just a random selection from a bank of possible maps. If that's the case, it's not really possible to make maps of the randomized game. It's has been a while though since I worked on this, and if someone has information otherwise, please let me know.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 12:56:37 pm »
Haven't updated this list in over a year, but today, zagato blackfirst submitted a number of Genesis maps today for various games, including all of Altered Beast!

Out of curiosity, why is ToeJam & Earl marked with a dash? Does that mean incomplete? The maps uploaded should be all of the static maps possible in the game. If I remember correctly the randomized world, according to the devs, should actually be randomized and not just a random selection from a bank of possible maps. If that's the case, it's not really possible to make maps of the randomized game. It's has been a while though since I worked on this, and if someone has information otherwise, please let me know.

I'm not supremely familiar with ToeJam & Earl, I suppose I could take a look at some YouTube videos when I get a chance.  If there's a bank of possible maps, then yes, it's mappable.  If it's totally random, then can some examples be shown (like with Dr. Mario)?  Or would those randomized maps just look the same as, or too similar to, any Fixed World maps?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2022, 06:20:47 pm »

Sega announced the Mega Drive Mini 2 yesterday.  Wonder if it will come to North America as the Sega Genesis Mini 2.  Now includes Sega CD games.  Interesting.

Offline NicNamSam

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2022, 09:56:35 pm »
I would love if someone could map Vectorman. If you're crazy and dumb enough to care about 100 percent completion for each level (me), then you need to find all the photons and TVs, and the levels can get a little complicated.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 11:29:11 am »

The Genesis Mini 2's release date of October 27, 2022 as well as the full list of games were revealed yesterday.  If you don't want to watch the video, you can also see the full list on the official site, or the full list including all regions on Wikipedia.

It's advertised as having "over 50 classic titles" but it sure looks like there are 60 games there (actually 61 with Space Harrier), including seven games listed as "BONUS!" on the official page.

The BONUS!es include:
- Devi & Pii (previously unreleased)
- Fantasy Zone (a newly developed port)
- Puyo Puyo Sun (a newly developed port)
- Space Harrier II (though originally a launch title, this version is enhanced, the first game is also included)
- Spatter (a newly developed port)
- Star Mobile (previously unreleased)
- Super Locomotive (a newly developed port)

Besides Genesis games, there are 12 Sega CD games, with Sewer Shark exclusive to North America and Europe, but the Japanese Mega Drive 2 has nine more Mega CD games (or ten? Not sure what the deal is with Romance Of The Three Kingdoms III being listed for both the Mega Drive and the Mega CD), including two Lunar games!

All in all, there are 38 games (39 including Space Harrier) that appear on both the Western and Japanese versions.  The West additionally has 22 exclusives and Japan has 23 exclusives (I guess that means they have one more game), so there is a pool of 83 games (84 including Space Harrier).

I don't know if it would be worth adding them to the list on the front page because I don't know if there's much interest... the first Genesis Mini hasn't been fully mapped yet...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2022, 09:43:09 pm »
I would love if someone could map Vectorman. If you're crazy and dumb enough to care about 100 percent completion for each level (me), then you need to find all the photons and TVs, and the levels can get a little complicated.

Well, you're in luck, NicNamSam.  John Brain has mapped out Vectorman.  It's nice to be able to update this topic again...

Thanks, John Brain!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 02:48:24 pm »
John Brain has mapped out World Of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck.

Thanks, John Brain!

Until the Magical Quest games on the Super NES, I remember being envious of the "Illusion" games on Sega platforms.  I don't remember why, it's not like I'm a huge Disney fan.  I mean, I enjoy the classic Disney stuff, sure, but I'm not sure why I would have gotten console envy from that.  Even so, I should actually play the Illusion games one day.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2023, 12:47:29 pm »
George S has submitted a map set for Light Crusader!  Thanks!

G.E.R. had already submitted a map as an entire image about three years ago, but George S has his own take with each floor being separate.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2023, 12:59:29 pm »
ScHlAuChi and George S have mapped out the delightful Monster World IV (J), and John Brain has picked up where DarkWolf left off and finished the map set for Streets Of Rage 2!  That's two more down!  Thanks, we're now a little closer to mapping out all of the Sega Genesis Mini.

Offline John Brain

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2023, 08:59:11 am »
ScHlAuChi and George S have mapped out the delightful Monster World IV (J), and John Brain has picked up where DarkWolf left off and finished the map set for Streets Of Rage 2!  That's two more down!  Thanks, we're now a little closer to mapping out all of the Sega Genesis Mini.
And Dynamite Headdy as well! ;)

BTW too bad this can't be done - on some levels you can't get 100% photons/TVs without cheats, and Day 6 can't be cleared even with them, because the developers somehow forgot to put a few photons on the stage.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 09:05:33 am by John Brain »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2023, 11:19:19 am »
And Dynamite Headdy as well! ;)

Ah, you're right, John Brain.  You did indeed map Dynamite Headdy earlier which was published on the site on May 10.  (Maybe I was so excited for my Japan trip that my own head was exploding with things to process at the time!)  Sorry for not mentioning that.

I see you made a topic about the Sega Genesis games you've mapped and are planning to map.  Looking forward to some Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2023, 12:58:38 pm »
John Brain has done Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master.  Some more great 16-bit ninja action!  Thanks again, John Brain; you're really on a streak, aren't you?

Offline John Brain

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2023, 06:17:48 pm »
John Brain has done Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master.  Some more great 16-bit ninja action!  Thanks again, John Brain; you're really on a streak, aren't you?
I'm afraid there are no more of my childhood games on this set, so I'm done with my part. And I have not a slightest idea how to map racing games like Road Rash 2 or Space Harrier 2, so I guess we can only dream on making a complete set. But I was glad to make a contribution here. :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 07:18:57 pm by John Brain »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2023, 07:43:53 pm »
G.E.R. completes another two games for the Genesis Mini.  This includes the completion of Ghouls 'N Ghosts as well as all of Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition.

Thanks, G.E.R.!

Coincidentally, these are both games with confusing apostrophes...

For "Ghouls 'N Ghosts", the title screen looks like it lacks a space before the "'N", so maybe it should be "Ghouls'N Ghosts"?  But then instead of "Ghouls (a)N(d) Ghosts", it looks like it would be "Ghouls(i)n(g) Ghosts", which doesn't make sense.  I don't know what "ghoulsing" is.  I know "ghosting", so are goblins doing that?  Because "Ghost'N Goblins", the previous game in the series, looks like "Ghost(i)n(g) Goblins".  And that's not a typo if you're looking at the European version of that game, as "Ghosts'N Goblins" there actually lacks the "s" at the end of "Ghost(s)".

And then "Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition"... why have an apostrophe at all?  I've heard that mark referred to as "dash"... sure doesn't look like a dash to me.  Perhaps it was a way to make it stand out, which makes more sense in an arcade setting, but even so, when there's multiple versions of Street Fighter II, I wonder if it actually makes any real visible difference.  Does the "Champion Edition" text - sorry, the "SPECIAL Champion Edition" text - not stand out enough?  It's also funny timing because I just watched the "Here Comes A New Challenger" documentary about Street Fighter II only a week ago, and one of the Facebook Groups I'm in just this past week had a discussion about the Super NES versions vs. the Genesis versions of the various iterations of Street Fighter II.  Interesting timing.

So now we're at 29 out of 40 done (or 30/40, if ToeJam & Earl really can't be mapped any more).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 07:53:46 pm by JonLeung »

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2023, 05:43:44 am »
Why you think that ToeJam & Earl is incomplete?

<...> 25 randomly generated floating islands <...>
https://toejamandearl.fandom.com/wiki/ToeJam_%26_Earl

find all ten pieces of it spread across 25 levels
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/genesis/563350-toejam-and-earl/faqs/10905