Author Topic: The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours (April Fools' 2008 Project) - Brainstorming Topic  (Read 253422 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I really think that you should remove the unnecessary "entrance" into the boss room.  Please change that.  As the first dungeon, there's a good chance someone will look at your dungeon first (after the overworld) and seeing something like that which seems rather unZeldaish is more likely to tip them off.  Sure, you may think it's minor.  But I don't think it's worth whatever amusement just to have that there.

When we find a good spriter, we really should get a good-looking original boss and mini-boss in there too.

Offline RT 55J

One more room left...

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline marioman

One question about the bosses.  Since this would have been the courage-themed game of the Triforce Trilogy, wouldn't that mean that the bosses would have been based off of Zelda 2?  I would think that using the Zelda 2 bosses would reduce the time necessary to complete the project.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Wait, what?  I don't follow.  I see no relation between this and Zelda II.  Besides, even if there was, converting the bosses from a side view to more of an overhead view would take some work anyway.

Offline marioman

Did you read the Wikipedia article that I posted?  It completely explains what was going on with the Oracle series.

My mistake - The Oracle of Seasons has all six of the Zelda 1 bosses in it.  (Ages is the one that would have been the Zelda 1 parallel.  Zelda 1 is about the Triforce of Wisdom.)

I was thinking that (following the pattern here) since Zelda 2 was about the Triforce of Courage, the courage game would have been the one to have the Zelda 2 bosses in it.

Anyway, it is just a thought.  I figure that it would be less work than starting on boss designs from scratch.  At least the basic design would be complete - just the spriting would be left.  It would also fit the pattern.

Offline RT 55J

Besides, even if there was, converting the bosses from a side view to more of an overhead view would take some work anyway.

We could have a couple of the bosses in side-view.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Actually...that's true.  >_>

Offline marioman

I would say that it wouldn't be as hard as you would think.  Some of the bosses such as the fire bird and the ghost guy (I don't know their names) are already almost front-view anyways.  The others would be a little more work, but I would imagine that it would not be that much more.

As for where they appear, the ghost guy could be in the crypt level, the snake could be in the hourglass, one of the knights could be in the Light Temple, the Minotaur could be in the beach (as in Zelda 2), etc.  They would fit fairly well.

I do not know if the fire bird from the Great Palace would be considered a good boss since it is so close to the end of Zelda 2.  However, I could see it being used in the ice level.  I would just recommend against using Dark Link because he is the final boss.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
As far as I remember, there weren't mini-bosses in Zelda II, so even if we did resort to adapting the Zelda II bosses, we still wouldn't have enough.  We'd have to design some original sprites anyway, and if we have to find a good sprite-maker, we may as well to get them to do more original designs.

Basically, because of the attempt to fool people, I'm hesitant to use recognizeable bosses.  Even though Seasons has the bosses from the original Zelda, that to me isn't reason enough to necessarily use all old bosses here.  Then there's perspective and size issues.  So Zelda II can't answer our boss issue.  Not totally, and not preferably.

For the first and last major dungeons, the ones people will likely look at, I definitely want original bosses.  Sorry about the pressure, but this includes RT's ice dungeon...besides the fact that marioman said it was used in one of the real Oracle games already.

I'll ask bustin98 about spritework.  As good as his artwork is, I think spritework might be more necessary here.

Offline marioman

As far as I remember, there weren't mini-bosses in Zelda II, so even if we did resort to adapting the Zelda II bosses, we still wouldn't have enough. We'd have to design some original sprites anyway, and if we have to find a good sprite-maker, we may as well to get them to do more original designs.

Basically, because of the attempt to fool people, I'm hesitant to use recognizeable bosses. Even though Seasons has the bosses from the original Zelda, that to me isn't reason enough to necessarily use all old bosses here. Then there's perspective and size issues. So Zelda II can't answer our boss issue. Not totally, and not preferably.

No problem - not all of my ideas have to be good.  I just try to come up with ideas that follow the patterns that have been set by the other games.

The sprites in Seasons for the Zelda 1 bosses are not exact translations from the original game.  As a matter of fact, some of them are slightly unrecognizable.  Also, there are two new bosses (Medelock and Mothula) in Seasons that make up for the fact that there are only six bosses in Zelda 1.  I thought that some new bosses could still be added in addition of the Zelda 2 bosses - especially mini-bosses. (I believe that all of the mini-bosses in Seasons are new because Zelda 1 didn't have many mini-bosses either.)

As I said before, it is just an idea.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Well, I guess it might save time for maybe a couple bosses which I can live with.  And you did bring up the point of bosses leading me to ask bustin about it as we'd have to address it at some point and it might take some time.  So whatever the bosses end up being, I would think that your idea being brought up still has worth, despite how I think I sound most of the time.  :P  So thanks.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I'm almost done the Clock Tower.  It still needs the bosses and the Essence, of course.  And the mini-map.  I want to tweak some decorations, minor details, and maybe adjust the puzzle rooms (I think I may actually have too many, especially the third floor), but as it is, it should certainly be "solvable".  With the exception of the giant turnstile thing room (and even that took some work to rework the walls), the rooms were made from scratch.  What do you think?

How are your guys' dungeons coming along?

Offline Grizzly

I haven't started yet. I will create a concept in the next few days and see if I get enough ideas for that flower dungeon.

Offline TerraEsperZ

I'm mostly finished with collecting all the tiles and the color palettes I'll need, in addition to being hard at work on sketching the layout of the overworld.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline RT 55J

I practically haven't touched Level 1 since the last update. :P

Anyways, I think I'll do the Vampire's Crypt. I don't really have any ideas for it yet, but I have an idea for the Teleporter Cube. Each side of the cube could correspond to a Greek letter. Standing on a tile would teleport you to a corresponding tile elsewhere in the area. imo, the letters should be: Gamma, Delta, Sigma, Phi, Psi, and Omega.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!