Author Topic: The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours (April Fools' 2008 Project) - Brainstorming Topic  (Read 240098 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I almost did an entire dungeon today!  Okay, maybe not...but at least 2/3rds, when you consider the touch-ups and the "consisticizing" and other things like that that'll come later.  And it was an early one...I imagine the later ones easily take more.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Actually, there IS one thing you guys can help me with...or two...

So that my work doesn't go to waste, I'd appreciate it if you could spread the word about VGMaps.com (not about the joke, obviously, but about what this site offers) in the coming months.  I mean, more than you already are.  :P

Also, one big thing is that I've wanted is a Wikipedia article...I shouldn't be the one to write one, believe me, I've tried...

Offline marioman

I trust this project is going well?  Can you please at least give a vague progress report?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I was debating whether or not to say, but I guess there isn't any harm in doing so.

I am nearly done five of the main dungeons.  I try to work on this every day, but some days I didn't, so I could've gotten to this point earlier.  I'd say that's good progress, but I must maintain that 'cause I'm not sure if the overworlds will actually be easier.  Part of me now is dreading them.  I need to leave time for the bosses, too...  >_<

I am not sure if I can use RT-55J's dungeon, however, whether I do or don't ultimately use it, since I do plan on detailing what I set out to do with this whole project, including individual dungeon/area descriptions, I will certainly include his dungeon in that.  After all, I can't dismiss when someone has helped me here!

And marioman will get a mention for conceiving the idea to begin with, and I'll keep this thread and mention anyone else's ideas that I do use or influenced the final product.

Offline marioman

Actually RT-55J came up with the idea.  He deserves the credit.

Offline Revned

Wow, I'm impressed. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Finished the fifth just now.  It's actually the fourth dungeon (the Hourglass Pyramid).  It's simpler than the original concept, but it still works and looks pretty good.  I made some changes to the Clock Tower since you guys last saw that, too.

Each dungeon I complete gives me more confidence that this will be a really good "joke" - even if some people find it obvious, they'll have more fun "playing through" the "game" than the past ones.

Offline RT 55J

Keep up the good work!

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline RT 55J

Would you mind if I took my dungeon and used it as a template for the Hero's Cave?

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
As I explained to RT-55J in a PM, this will pretty much be my own project, in terms of what ultimately becomes part of the maps.

However, after it's been revealed as an April Fool's joke, I'll go in detail how I went about making each map, and then show RT-55J's dungeon alongside mine, as well as thank everyone even the least bit involved.  I'm certainly not going to overlook or undercredit the help that has influenced this project in some way, even if that didn't mean laying down any pixels but just throwing down ideas.

Anyway, I JUST finished the sixth dungeon (actually the seventh).  That one took way too long - I think I integrated too many puzzles.  I always forget to leave some empty space for some plain-old enemy-filled rooms...  >_<

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Six weeks and a day to go...

I JUST finished the seventh dungeon (actually the sixth).  Hmmm, looks like that took 10 days...hopefully the last main one shouldn't take much longer.  That gives me a month to do both overworlds - and any minor dungeons I may want to include - which should be okay but still kind of tight...  I'd better pick up the pace.

Offline marioman

Awesome!  I am very excited about seeing this project finished.  Good work.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
YEAH!  I just finished the last (main) dungeon!  :D  This one took nine days, and it was the most complicated one.

I look forward to doing the overworld(s), which is of course the next thing on my plate...it'll feel less claustrophobic and I won't have to integrate so many puzzles.  Of course, there'll be the obstacles in just the right places to create the flow of the game based on accessibility, but it certainly won't be as intense as working out some of these dungeon ones.

I'll still have to put some effort into it, of course, I'm sure the overworld(s) will be a major selling point that can make or break it.

Part of me is wondering if this is worth the effort (is anyone even going to wonder about this game?) or if anyone who does get fooled will even "get" how they were fooled...but I would still be able to say that I managed to make a Zelda game, so that counts for something, right?

Methinks I'm going to have to do a major advertising campaign before April to increase the exposure...

(And is anyone able to make a VGMaps.com Wikipedia article?  Mine got rejected (you can still find it if you search on Google), and I can't post even the past April Fool's jokes in the April Fool's joke list on Wikipedia for a site that doesn't have an article...  >_<)

Offline marioman

I think that the people on Wikipedia are Nazis.  They completely nuked just about every article relating to Metroid and consolidated all of the general information into one page.  I agree that Wikipedia needs to be accurate and concise, but they just threw away loads of relevant information that had been on the site for years.  It was probably headed up by some Halo fanboy.

You may want to try looking at articles for other gaming fansites.  I was looking at the article for Overclocked Remix the other day, and to looks like you could probably use some of the ideas there to make an "relevant" page.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Though perhaps I had been needlessly specific about certain things, the template I worked from was based on the article for VGMuseum.com.  Actually, it's what made me believe I should have one.  Since my site and ReyVGM's site have similarities in terms of content, I figured I could have one too.  Apparently not.  Is VGMaps.com not "big" enough?  Well, we'll finally hit a million hits soon...that should say something, even if it did take this long.  :P  I think the reason for rejection was that it didn't demonstrate how my web site is important or something.  Maybe if I hadn't, I should've made mention of how it's the biggest collection of screenshot maps on the web...it must be, isn't it?  GameFAQs has some maps, even screenshot ones, but their focus still seems to be text walkthroughs...

Also, if someone else made a Wiki page I'd be able to see how my site is seen in the eyes of someone else; I may be too biased and know too much irrelevant stuff about it.  I shouldn't be making the article, as its founder and maintainer anyway.  Anyone want to take a shot at it?  :P