Author Topic: It's MAR10 today. So what Mario game are you playing or replaying?  (Read 112438 times)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Re: It's MAR10 today. So what Mario game are you playing or replaying?
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2015, 12:50:05 pm »
I actually remembered this year! I played Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars. It might not be a normal Mario game, but it counts, right?
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 09:25:03 am »
So I've had Super Mario Maker (Wii U) since the first week it came out.  (Not the first day, because I pre-ordered from Best Buy and had it delivered, but it didn't arrive on the first day, grrr, but whatever.)  The embarrassing thing is that I have not yet shared a single course!  Sure, I've played the game to get the Mystery Mushrooms and whatnot (though Expert is kicking my butt, I don't know about Super Expert), but I really should finish the stage I'm making and share it at some point.  Since it's #MAR10 again, if I have time to play games tonight, I'll try to finish and share my first stage!

You guys should also share any Super Mario Maker stage codes if you've made anything neat.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 06:22:01 pm »
I almost forgot this year, but a tweet from Cartoon Network reminded me. Now that I've remembered, I'll... do something? I would be playing Super Mario Maker, too, but my back injury prevents me from sitting in front of the TV for more than a few minutes.

If you need courses to play, you should try mine! They are guaranteed to not be completely awful: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Peardian?type=posted
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline KeyBlade999

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 08:51:14 pm »
I completely forgot - my mind's more oriented towards Pi Day. >_>

I don't I'll be playing anything Mario-related. If anything, I MIGHT get back to work on EO2U, who knows. Just dealing with some nasty stuff in real life at the moment in addition to the usual stuff that'd keep me from working on it.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 08:00:16 am »
This topic is now 10 years old!

I was busy making a couple of Nintendo Switch videos for YouTube (see here and here), so I haven't even played as much of that as I would've liked.  But, there was no Mario game on launch day (not that it matters much with the highly-acclaimed The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild to fill my time), but that means we're not playing Super Mario Odyssey today.

Guess I can try to get some more black Coins in Super Mario Run; there's always that...

Oh, and I never did finish and share that stage I was working on in Super Mario Maker...  :(

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 08:41:19 am »
You know, I had no interest in buying a Switch just like I skipped on the Wii U. But damn if The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild isn't trying hard to change my mind. It very well might be what sells the system to me, just like Super Mario Galaxy sold me on the Wii. I'm just not completely sold on the hardware yet, with the sometimes unresponsive left joy-con, the rather short battery time, the uneven performances between the docked and portable configuration... I'm really hoping they release a revision somewhere down the line that will make it a "must" rather than a "maybe".

Going back to MAR10, I can't believe it's been almost a year since I've played a Mario game! I still haven't finished Super Mario 3D Land or New Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 but then again, I've given up hope of ever fully completing games like that. I'm just not good enough and don't have the time or patience to hang on long enough to become good enough. Also, holy crap! It's been almost three years since I "switched" to an HD TV and thus, three years since my Wii has been in the closet. I hope it's still working because some Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 goodness would be really fun right now.

Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2017, 09:33:48 am »
The Wii U didn't get much third-party support when it was quickly obvious that people weren't catching on.  I could go on about it, but in keeping on the subject of Mario, Super Mario Bros. U isn't really much to write home about, and Super Luigi U is a remix but perhaps notable for being really hard if you play as Luigi (though ridiculously easy if you cheap out by playing as the invincible Nabbit).  I did enjoy Super Mario 3D World, and I will never forget the 6.5 hours (and something like 600 lives) that me and my brother spent one Saturday attempting, and finally completing, the insanely difficult "Champion's Road", the true final area.  Peach's floating and Rosalina's ability to attack are so crucial there...  But if you say you haven't even finished the incredibly easy Super Mario 3D Land, then maybe you wouldn't appreciate the challenge of that stage in 3D World...  However, it really is the "meatiest" Mario experience on the Wii U, though unless you have friends to appreciate the four-player simultaneous play in a 3D world (just a step up from the four-player simultaneous play in a 2D world in the "New" console series on Wii and Wii U), it may not feel like much of an evolution if you always expect bigger and better Mario experiences.

And as I mentioned, Super Mario Maker is great, but I never got around to making a stage, and the best stages by users often seem to be "automatic" ones, like Rube Goldberg machines, though indeed some are quite creative.

I regret to say that I never made time for Paper Mario: Color Splash, so I can't comment much on that, though I hear it's like Paper Mario: Sticker Star on the 3DS, which I also missed, in that neither are as RPGish as the previous games.

And the Mario sports games are meh, the newest Mario Tennis, whatever it was called, no one cared about, including myself, which is a shame as I generally at least enjoy them a bit.  Of course, there's Mario Kart 8 which is fun, but if you missed out on the Wii U but are considering a Switch, might as well get the upgraded Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, then, which includes the DLC and adds new modes, including a "real" Battle Mode (there was a Battle Mode in 8, but used the same tracks instead of arenas specific to that mode).

Looking forward to Super Mario Odyssey for sure, which even Nintendo officially acknowledges is more in the vein of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine (with its open hub worlds of Peach's Castle and Isle Delfino Resort respectively) than the somewhat fragmented Galaxy or "New" games.

Offline claymonet112

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 10:00:14 pm »
Super Mario Galaxy (as well as its sequel, Super Mario Galaxy 2 - which is pretty much just more of the first game). It had lots of the great 3D platforming from Super Mario 64 and featured a lot of traditional Mario fare, but in addition, it added in a cool gravity effects, had a simple yet effective control scheme, creative level designs, and a rich orchestral soundtrack.

Offline RendaAxelrod

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2017, 05:35:26 am »
Super Mario Galaxy (as well as its sequel, Super Mario Galaxy 2 - which is pretty much just more of the first game). It had lots of the great 3D platforming from Super Mario 64 and featured a lot of traditional Mario fare, but in addition, it added in a cool gravity effects, had a simple yet effective control scheme, creative level designs, and a rich orchestral soundtrack.
Oh, wow. Thanks for that info!
Suddenly, I didn't know about Super Mario Galaxy 2 existence :D
(selffacepalm)

Offline Christina21

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2017, 10:31:21 pm »
I am a big lover of Mario game.I am now 33.I have been playing since I was 12 years old.
Where can I download super Mario forever for free on my pc?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 12:20:01 pm »
I didn't forget that it was MAR10 Day this past Saturday, but I was too busy editing my Mega Man X: Maverick Challenge video for my "JonLeung1" YouTube channel that I only played my daily run of Super Mario Run on my iPad and briefly got a few Mario items in Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp on my Android phone.  The tides are changing if the only Mario games I played on this day this year are apps!

Earlier this month, I got the new costume items in Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) and re-upped my Coin total back to 9999, but I haven't actually played any of the Luigi's Balloon World DLC yet.

Offline Will

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2018, 03:55:50 am »
Recently I've been watching fun Mario trivia videos at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gvQj0f6qdc&list=PLsKhkt5W1CllFnjX6a-VvD8mY2EVF-oZz . They're fun and have excellent points on how Bowser is NOT a villian, Mario is NOT a hero and Princess Peach is NOT a damsel in distress. Check em' out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:56:24 am by Will »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2019, 01:37:47 pm »
Happy MAR10 Day yet again!

I didn't pick up New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch) yet, not in a hurry since I played the original two games it is comprised of back on the Wii U.  I guess it could be neat to play as Toadette, but they didn't add much else, did they?  Also, I didn't pick up Super Mario Party (Switch), either.  What's wrong with me?

But my biggest Mario deficits are with the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games.  I didn't play Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS), for some reason I just didn't get around to it, but that's the fourth Mario & Luigi game, and since then Nintendo has rereleased the first and third games with an extra story in each, so I wonder if at this point they might remake the fourth soon and I could just play that instead.  However, they skipped the second (Partners In Time) so there's no guarantee, and then should I be replaying those rereleases of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story for their extra stories (Bowser's Minions & Bowser Jr.'s Journey) anyway?  And there's also the crossover with the Paper Mario series, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS) but I haven't played Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS) (even though I heard it isn't as good, I should at least try it).  And then there's also Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U).  I'm kind of a horrible Mario fan, like why haven't I made the time?  Especially considering that I really really loved the previous Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games that I have played...

I mean I guess today I did play some Super Mario Run (mobile) and Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (mobile) which features Mario items today, but I should find something more substantial to play.  There's still a good chunk of the day left still, so maybe I'll cruise the eShop and see what I'm missing.

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2019, 05:58:12 am »
What do you think about New SMB 2, for 3DS?
I started to play it today on Citra emulator, I think this game is simpler, than Wii U, and for this reason I liked 3DS-version more.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:58:43 am by G.E.R. »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2020, 09:29:25 am »
Yet another MAR10 Day...

See my previous response from last year, two posts ago.  Literally.  Word-for-word, it all applies this year.  Just shows that it's another year of failing to play new Mario stuff other than my daily dose of Super Mario Run (iOS).  I guess I have been playing Mario Kart Tour (Android) consistently, but today I haven't gotten to it yet.  I really should just pick up Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS) and Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), maybe having them physically in front of me will entice me to start them.  And, yes, physically, I keep meaning to get to back to some games I got digitally (only because I had to use up points) and I keep forgetting I actually own Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U) and Pikmin 3 (Wii U) and whatever else I have that was digital... Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge (Wii U).  I'm on board for digital stuff (my Steam library is a huge backlog too) but when it comes to consoles I must still be oldschool, as I keep forgetting that I have these.  I at least finished Pikmin 3 (not the best ending though) and DKC:TF might go unfinished because it's pretty hard... am I getting old?