Author Topic: Gaming as a diversion  (Read 25679 times)

Offline Thraxian

Gaming as a diversion
« on: May 02, 2006, 06:51:42 am »
What kinds of things do you do when you're busy gaming?

Recently, I've taken to walking while gaming.  I hop on the treadmill, fire up the playstation, and pound out a mile or more while beating up enemies.  

Yesterday, I was playing DW7, and was fighting some bosses in a tower.  By the time I had beaten them, collected the spoils, and gotten back to town to save my game, 30 minutes had passed. With the treadmill set at 3.0 mph (2.5 is too slow, and 3.5 is too distracting from the game), I finished a mile and a half without even thinking about it.  Good thing too.  I could stand to lose a few (dozen) pounds.

Offline Inty

RE: Gaming as a diversion
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 08:37:38 am »
That's a great idea. If i was fat, i'd do that. But i'm actually trying to gain 30lbs ._.

---

Your browser doesn't support object.
<b>I need £5 paypal to pay subs ._.</b>

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 11:35:48 am »
Geesh, Inty. The word 'fat' is so negative, you could have went with another term, like 'out of shape' or 'over-weight'.

While I do not need to lose any weight, I'd like to tone up what I have. The treadmill is a good idea. I hope it works out for you, Thrax. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of the Wii is to see if there are any games that encourage a workout during play. The game DK Jungle Beat makes me work up a sweat.

---

Cool beans

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:43:29 am »
So, I'm fat, huh Inty?!  Geez, nice to see you too!

Just kidding...I am.  The doctor calls it "obese", meaning I'm more than just overweight.  Don't get me wrong, I don't need a TLC special documenting my rehabilitation from a 600 pound man to my "normal" weight of 180.  I'm just well fed.  

And as for out-of-shape?  I like to consider myself as in-shape.  A round shape, that is.  And we all know how circles are the perfect shape.

I was keeping my eye out for the launch of Mario DDR, and I wonder if I missed it.  Has anyone tried it, and is it good for a workout?  I'm not a DDR-junkie, but I have been intrigued by it, and since I like Mario, this one in particular was appealing.

Offline Inty

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 11:50:26 am »
I didn't say it too be mean. It's just from the other side (skinny) i get jealous of people being overweight. It's me being biased but i've always thought it easier to lose weight, than to gain it.

But if i were fat overweight, i'd say it the other way.

I'm just bitter about being so damned small. I'm like 5ft 9" and 125lbs.

---

Offline Inty

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 11:54:07 am »
And about DDR:Mario Mix..

The reviews are excellent

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/review/925773.html

---

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 12:23:09 pm »
Inty Said:
I didn't say it too be mean. It's just from the other side (skinny) i get jealous of people being overweight. It's me being biased but i've always thought it easier to lose weight, than to gain it.

---

I remember being skinny as a teen, having about your proportions. Sure, my lower risb would stand out on my abdomen, but it's not like I was doing it on purpose. Heck, I wasn't exercising at all and I was eating unhealthy, like most teens too. I never had a problem with it unlike everyone else who knew me and kept saying I needed to put more meat on my bones.

Then I turned 20 and family genetics on both sides conspired to give me a bit of a belly. I'm sure if I actually worked out and ate better I could lose a bit but it's stable at least. Sucking in my guts is enough to make it disappear but it's not like that works when I'm alone in my briefs in front of a mirror...

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 02:23:33 pm »
For me, college graduation did me in.  

I stayed constant through high school and college.  Ate poorly, but the walk to and from classes burned it off.  In fact, I walked about 2 miles from a free parking lot to campus during college (unless it rained, when I took the bus that also visited that lot).  

After graduation, I got a desk job where I sit and type on a computer all day.  Surprisingly enough, the weight started to accumulate in the chair.  

I'm trying to get myself back in the habit of walking every day, to see if I can at least stay constant.  Eventually, I'll work on burning off some of the excess.  So far, so good.

I'm even contemplating riding my bicycle to work.  It's about 5 miles each way, but the terrain is flat, and the back-roads aren't so congested as to make it dangerous.  We'll see how that pans out.

Offline Revned

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 02:59:39 pm »
Inty Said:

---

I'm 5'10 and 111. Sucker.

Offline Inty

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 03:02:15 pm »
You're taller though. I'd give up 10lb or more to be a few inches taller.

---

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 03:03:31 pm »
Rev wins!

I'm 5'8" and 165.

---

Cool beans

Offline Dan

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 04:36:04 pm »
6'3" and 190 lbs.

I'm a big boy.

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 08:36:56 pm »
6'0" and 275 lbs.

I'm a bigger boy.

Offline Waddle Dee

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 08:57:43 pm »
oh, I can make you feel better ;D 5' and 101 lbs. ... oh, did i mention im a 13 year old girl? (im not afraid of giving my age)

---

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Off_da_wall.mid

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 09:11:40 pm »
Funny that Rev is 10" taller than Waddle and 10 lbs heavier. Even funnier if he's also 10 years older.

---

Cool beans