Author Topic: Mega Man V (GB)  (Read 21586 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Mega Man V (GB)
« on: January 13, 2008, 04:43:44 pm »
I'm about halfway done with this game, but I'm going to wait until I'm finished to post any full map.

However, I've run into a small problem with Jupiter's stage. Toward the end of the stage, you eventually reach a point where you can either climb a ladder or go to the next screen on the right. Going right leads to a final section and then the boss. Going up leads to a couple of items and a dead end, but when you come back to the intersection, the passage on the right is now closed and a new hole is there in the floor which leads to a special crystal, and then to that same last section and the boss.

I can see two ways to represent that which I'll post below.

User posted image

Method #1 - Using arrows to represent how you can move in this area. It is more accurate and shows the intersection (the left-most screen) in both states, and how both paths lead to the same section and then the boss. The downside is that it's cluttered with all the arrows and not easily understandable at first glance.

User posted image

Method #2 - Simply show the screens as they are attached to one another. The advantage is that it's a lot easier to understand, and you just have to suspect that there's some way to open that passage down. On the other hand, this method leaves the player to discover by himself that it's going up that will open the passage downward, and the duplicated area with the boss might lead to thinking that there's a real and fake one, like in Mega Man 6 (NES).

All in all, I prefer Method #2 because it just looks better, but maybe some people might prefer the first one, or perhaps someone else has a better idea.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Sonic CD (Sega CD)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Rew

RE: Mega Man V (GB)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 07:17:02 pm »
I also prefer method #2. It's more aesthetically pleasing, and it's really not misleading. After all, maps are supposed to be maps, not strategy guides. (I find maps that err on the side of being guides somewhat annoying.)

Besides, as you said, method #1 is confusing. I think #2 simplifies it and makes it look better.
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 07:19:33 pm »
My opinion: I think you should have the connected areas (a la Method #2), except there should only be one set of the rooms leading to Jupiter.

So instead of four arrows or no arrows, there would be two (both leading to the end).  And no rooms would be duplicated (neither the crossroads nor the end portion).

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 08:04:12 pm »
I agree, but just for the sake of argument, if the map simply represents the rooms as they are arranged, how can the end portion be the same if they're on two different levels? Does the whole section just decides to follow you underground because Jupiter just really, *really* wants to fight you instead of leaving you trapped into a dead end? Or are there two different but identical sections, and Jupiter simply teleports in the one you happen to reach? I know I'm reaching, but I really don't want to use any arrow unless there's really no direct physical connection between two areas (such as a teleporter or going in a door and appearing falling down a shaft like in Mega Man IV). This might actually be a case where I go against people's opinion and just do what I want.

Self-Confidence gains 500 XP

Level Up!

Or something equally nerdy that actually makes sense in RPG terms...

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Sonic CD (Sega CD)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:22:27 pm »
#2!  Definitely #2.  Sure it may look awkward, but it's not as confusing as #1.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 02:45:23 am »
I had a sort-of-similar issue in SMS Wonder Boy in Monster Land: https://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/MasterSystem/WonderBoyInMonsterLand-Stage04.png where at the left (the level is right-to-left) you can fall underwater, then walk off to the right and appear back above ground to go to the exit. I made an ugly fade (I liked them at the time) and left it up to the player to ignore it, since it is effectively like an off-screen teleport going on. However, it's a teleport back to a screen you already saw, and from underwater to above ground, so it's not too confusing.

In your case I'd probably choose the lower boss as the "real" one and have a map like Method #2 but with an arrow indicating the "teleportation" effect.

Maybe show both paths open, so a player looking at the map can see that at some point they will have to get it unblocked.

Offline marioman

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 06:18:03 am »
Any word on these maps?  I seem to remember you saying that they were almost finished.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 08:17:53 pm »
Sorry everyone. I know I kept promising them a while ago, but as it often happens when I'm done mapping, I tend to lose interest when doing the map headers/formatting and things like that and start something else. But I promise to try real hard to finish these in the upcoming days.

---

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:39:26 pm »
Finally finished. Now stop bugging me y'all :)!

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

---

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Rew

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 08:34:45 am »
Yay! *now bugs Terra for MMZ and Sonic 1* ;0)

---

"So this is what it's like..."

- Spark Mandrill

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 10:49:54 am »
You should look at my sig :P. First my secret project (which is only secret because I don't want to let anyone down if I don't finish like I intend to), followed by Sonic 1 (and maybe Sonic CD, which is just so huge and long...) and *then* probably Mega Man Zero (if only because it's about 92% finished, even thouh I lost interest in the Zero series about as quickly as I gained it).

---

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 11:16:59 am »
TerraEsperZ Said:
You should look at my sig :P. First my secret project (which is only secret because I don't want to let anyone down if I don't finish like I intend to), followed by Sonic 1 (and maybe Sonic CD, which is just so huge and long...) and *then* probably Mega Man Zero (if only because it's about 92% finished, even thouh I lost interest in the Zero series about as quickly as I gained it).

---

Offline Rew

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 02:49:28 pm »
Yeah, but look at how far back MMV is on your list too? ;-) (Anyway, take your time--I'm just messing with you.)

Maxim: What does FTFY mean?

---

"So this is what it's like..."

- Spark Mandrill

Offline Maxim

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 02:59:16 pm »
FTFY is "Fixed That For You", normally meaning "I made a slight alteration to the quoted text in a (possibly) humorous fashion".

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 03:08:12 pm »
I deserve that :). In fact, I switch project often enough that I don't even remember to keep my signature up to date.

But as far as my current project is concerned, I've wanting (and trying) to map it for years, and it's only recently that I managed to assemble all the tools and roms needed for me to proceed, so I'm determined more than ever to finish it. So far, I'm progressing quite fast (40% in about three weeks, which is quite fast for me), but I won't announce it officially until I'm nearly done with it.

---

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)