Author Topic: Prince of Persia  (Read 43591 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Prince of Persia
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 07:16:51 am »
Well, he's free to do what he wants with your maps if you've sent them to him yourself.

The problem is that he's making it look as if they are features of his site, and then proceeds to use up my bandwidth by hotlinking without even properly mentioning VGMaps.com.  Sure, I may only use like 7% of my bandwidth this month but it's still rather inconsiderate - I get no benefit for providing material he wants and uses.  At least if he linked to a page instead, people would know that these are maps provided by VGMaps.com.

I sent him an email kindly asking him to link to any page instead.  But I can't see popuw.com at work.  It's blocked because it's considered a "Games" web site.  Is it a good thing or a bad thing that VGMaps.com still isn't blocked at work yet?  What, I'm not big enough to be blocked?  >_<  Anyway, someone let me know if he removes the hotlinking.

(Also, I noticed the popuw.com forums have a lot more posts than here.  Is there really that much to talk about the Prince of Persia games?  0_0)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to find where on GoDaddy I can set up hotlinking, though I heard there isn't an official way.  Strange.  I'll have to read up about these .htaccess workarounds...

Offline marioman

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 07:16:52 am »
The bandwidth is not the only issue.  I wonder how many people click on those links and do not look around the rest of the site.  (Or even notice that they are not hosted on popuw.com.)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 07:22:54 am »
It's simple enough to deal with; this was near the top in Google:

http://efficienttips.com/stop-prevent-image-hotlink-apache-htaccess-php/

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 06:58:31 pm »
Thanks Maxim!  Here's...um...200 Coins as thanks.  I know, lame...I'll come up with a good use for Coins one day...

I think it worked...try clicking on popuw.com's links now, if you would.

Offline marioman

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 07:24:55 pm »
They're dead.  Thanks Maxim.

Offline Will

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 12:47:12 am »
Indeed it was helpful of Maxim. But what about me? I'm the one who tipped that they were linking in answer to Revned's question, but at the time I was ignorant of the software crime hotlinking. From now on I'll inform you if I ever see hotlinks again.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 03:58:44 am »
I tried to transfer some Coins to Will but it gave the error "Both you and the transferee must be able to use the bank to make a transfer". This whole ranking/karma/coin system confuses me...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 06:35:30 am »
Speaking of Prince of Persia maps, I might update mine a bit. I'm not happy with the presentation anymore, and I've been informed recently that I'm missing a room in PoP2 Level 5.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 07:07:44 am »
Will Said:
Indeed it was helpful of Maxim. But what about me? I'm the one who tipped that they were linking in answer to Revned's question, but at the time I was ignorant of the software crime hotlinking, so would you care to give a coin or two? From now on I'll inform you if I ever see hotlinks again.

All right, you get some Coins too.  :)

(Finally, someone who actually wants Coins!  :P)

Don't expect as much for every hotlinking warning, besides, with the latest implementation there shouldn't be any more...

Offline Maxim

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 07:36:44 am »
Here it is:

User posted image

I found out how to hack the rooms so I can go places that are inaccessible :) for example, the third shaft from the right is inaccessible in-game, but I could rip it accurately anyway.

Offline marioman

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 08:20:48 am »
An all of the hotlinks on popuw.com have been replaced with a single link to the main page of vgmaps.com.  Thanks for doing the right thing Jalal.

Offline Will

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 11:21:12 am »
Excellent work Maxim. You have completed the SMS version. As soon as Jon puts it up on the site, I will mark it as COMPLETED on the list. This room hacking sounds interesting and useful too.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 05:01:32 pm »
I've re-ripped levels 1 and 2 (see my site) but for level 3 I have a problem:

https://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/MasterSystem/PrinceOfPersia-Level03.png

In this version of the game, you can see the edge of the floor of the screen above, so you can see whether it's floor or brick. On the top of level 3, it shows a floor above you when you're at the top of the level. But now I can see how the game works (RAM locations $c255 to $c259 tell all), I can confirm that there really is nothing there. But it's not the top of the map, so I can either:

- make something up, as I did last time (a big empty space with a note explaining it)

- edit it out (draw bricks there instead)

- leave it blank (I prefer to fill the spaces with bricks normally)

Now I've hacked the game a bit more, I can also  see that the floor is implying pillars immediately above it, so the big empty space would be an invalid space-filler too.

Suggestions?

Offline Maxim

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 05:01:35 pm »
I've re-ripped levels 1 and 2 (see my site) but for level 3 I have a problem:

https://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/MasterSystem/PrinceOfPersia-Level03.png

In this version of the game, you can see the edge of the floor of the screen above, so you can see whether it's floor or brick. On the top of level 3, it shows a floor above you when you're at the top of the level. But now I can see how the game works (RAM locations $c255 to $c259 tell all), I can confirm that there really is nothing there. But it's not the top of the map, so I can either:

- make something up, as I did last time (a big empty space with a note explaining it)

- edit it out (draw bricks there instead)

- leave it blank (I prefer to fill the spaces with bricks normally)

Now I've hacked the game a bit more, I can also  see that the floor is implying pillars immediately above it, so the big empty space would be an invalid space-filler too.

Suggestions?

Offline Eggz

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 12:54:25 am »
Everyone has different techniques about what to do in situations like that. Myself, I tend to go the "artistic liberties" way; filling in the section with the most acceptable option on hand, and if it be bricks, so be it. But I know some purists have problems with that. My reasoning is if it's not part of the actual playable part of the level, who should it matter?

---

This looks like a job for Science!
This looks like a job for Science!