Author Topic: Super NES Game Atlas (a "continuation" of the original NES Game Atlas)  (Read 206192 times)

Offline Will

Now you mention it Maxim, that has given me an idea. I was thinking about a SMS + GG recreation Atlas in which the choice of games are what I would regard parallel to Nintendo game like Sonic instead of Mario for example. Here is my suggested list:

Chapter 1: Sonic Surfer

Sonic Blast, Sonic Chaos, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball, +Sonic Drift, +Sonic Drift 2, +Sonic Labyrinth, +Sonic Triple Trouble, +Tail's Adventure, +Tail's Patrol.

Chapter 2: Alex All-Times

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars, Alex Kidd BMX Trial, Alex Kidd in High-Tech World, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World.

Chapter 3: Marvel Mania

Spider-man: Return of the Sinister Six, Spider-man Vs. The Kingpin, The Incredible Hulk, X-men, X-men 3: Mojo's World, +Captain America and the Avengers, +Spider-Man and the X-men: Arcade's Revenge, +X-men 2: Game Master's Legacy.

Chapter 4: Wonder Whirl

Wonder Boy, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap.

Chapter 5: Disney Dizziness

Aladdin, Bonkers Wax Up!, Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse, Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse, Legend of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse, Mickey's Ultimate Challenge, Lucky Dime Caper starring Donald Duck, Deep Duck Trouble starring Donald Duck, The Jungle Book, The Lion King, +Ariel The Little Mermaid, +Talespin.

Chapter 6: Ninja Magic

Ninja Gaiden, +Ninja Gaiden

Chapter 7: Looney Tunes

Cheese Cat-astrophe starring Speedy Gonzalez, Daffy Duck in Hollywood, Taz-Mania, Taz: Escape from Mars, +Bugs Bunny in Crazy Castle, +Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble.

The '+' signs indicate Game Gear in addition to the SMS titles. I can't really think of an eighth chapter but all those chapters look quite vast. Does all that sound like a good idea?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Remembering the nostalgic feel of when I personally thought Nintendo Power was at its peak, the completion of the NES Game Atlas and the near-completion of the hypothetical Super NES Game Atlas certainly does lend itself to a "Game Boy Game Atlas".  There was a Game Boy Player's Guide, just like there was a Super NES Player's Guide, but it didn't focus on maps.  I didn't own the original Game Boy (but I got a Game Boy Pocket years later, and only because it was on sale because the Game Boy Colors were already out, and I bought a Super Game Boy just for Link's Awakening, and my only other game is Pok?mon: Red Version), but I had some familiarity because I had that Player's Guide and it was always present in Nintendo Power.

Not sure that everyone is particularly fond of the good old monochrome Game Boy (other than, say, RyuMaster), so it could be extended to the Game Boy Color.  Maybe even the Game Boy Advance?

I'm pretty sure all the Zelda games are mapped (just greyscale the Link's Awakening DX maps if you want Link's Awakening (non-DX) maps :P), even all the way up to The Minish Cap, and all have been honoured as Maps of the Month (even concluding this very month with The Minish Cap).  And I'm pretty sure the Mega Man games are all mapped thanks to marioman's topic, with the exception of Mega Man & Bass (but we have the Super NES...er, Super Famicom version all mapped out).  I guess maybe there won't be many left to map out.  Well, there's Super Mario Bros. Deluxe...  There's Ninja Gaiden Shadow and the TMNT games...  Hmmm.  I know there were three Game Boy TMNT games, but are they (and the later GBA games) any good?  And where's the full map of Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow?  0_0  Well, maybe we could leave the GBA games out of it, or at least for now, since technically the age of the GBA isn't over - at least not for another month, when the DSi with no GBA slot comes out and leads to the inevitable discontinuation of the DS Lite...

I know that Will's always up for a challenge, and has contributed a lot to this and the previous topic.  What does Will - and the rest of you - think about the Game Boy?  If there's not much interest in the Game Boy, we could always make topics about particular series, and the popularity of marioman's Mega Man topic is a testament to that.

I agree with Peardian that Kirby has not gotten much attention here.  Where are Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby: Super Star?  And as for non-Nintendo series, I should be appalled, or at least surprised, at the lack of the Sonic The Hedgehog games.  If Sonic is the guy who stood up against Super Mario and fared pretty well, then where are the Sonic fans who would be mapping his games?  And Final Fantasy - seriously - we have a few games mapped, but very few of the "main-numbered" ones (other than a few overworld maps, big whoop).  Admittedly it'd take a long while for someone to do them, especially with the kind of care they deserve (a la Grizzly's Secret Of Evermore, KingKuros's The 7th Saga, or Peardian's revisions of Super Mario RPG), but considering the rabid FF fanbase, I would've thought we would've seen more than we have by now.  Unless they're all VII-and-onwards fanboys (you know my feelings towards them).  Even so, FF VII and FF VIII have PC versions (which might be easier to map) and those two, along with FF IX, have prerendered backgrounds, so you'd expect even them to be mapped.  At least VII, sheesh.  The most overrated game ever and no fanboys have yet mapped it - or at least not shared with VGMaps?  Maybe my "shut-the-frick-up-about-FF VII-and-play-something-else-it's-been-over-a-decade-like-seriously" attitude scared them away, but I honestly think it would be awesome to have maps of that game.

And other than the FFs, Squaresoft's other games, especially those on the Super NES, including Chrono Trigger and Secret Of Mana, deserve nice maps, but those may be tall orders.  The recent release of Chrono Trigger on the DS and Secret Of Mana on the Wii Virtual Console ensure there would be interest...though I know that doesn't make it any easier.

Will, your zeal for a possible "Master System Game Atlas" is great - I'm sure Maxim has been and could be a great help in that regard, however, I'm not sure I agree with your choices of series.  Sonic, Alex Kidd, and Wonder Boy, unquestionably, but most of the others...ehhh.  But what do I know, I grew up with Nintendo.  I'm not going to make a Master System topic because of my lack of familiarity with it and its games, but if you want to do that, you're more than welcome to.

But if chapter names are still necessary, I think they could use a bit of work.  :P

Offline Revned

I think I'll probably do Link's Awakening just for completion. I actually mapped the overworld of Link's Awakening DX a few weeks ago. Osrevad's map had several errors, but I didn't want to step on any toes, what with the associated Map of the Month...

I've also mapped the first couple of worlds of Kirby's Dreamland (two different times, I might add), but the levels all start to look the same and I just never got around to finishing it. Maybe one of these days...

Offline TerraEsperZ

I might do Aria Of Sorrow. I've had the urge to go back to that for several years, but only recently asked for Zeric's blessing on doing that given that he'd started it a while back.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
I imagine that the Gameboy Advance should have a separate atlas because it really is a different system from the old Gameboy and Gameboy Color.

As for Kirby, the main reason that the SNES games haven't really been mapped is because they use some kind of heavy compression that make their savestates turn up gibberish in bgmapper. I know Raccoon Sam started mapping KDL2 for the Gameboy but gave up, but I might take a swing at it myself. I need an excuse to play the game again. :P

Of course, as it is my plate is already so full of Mario, and I really want to map the Stafy games in the future. Blah, so much to do and so little time.

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (64%) - PM (39%) - YI (11%) - SMRPG (35%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
As you can see, I made a "Game Boy Game Atlas" topic.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Revised Forest Maze map from Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars by Peardian.

Peardian: Apparently the Starfy series is coming to North America, so there will be more interest in the series!

Will: Were you going to make a Sega Master System topic?

Offline Will

That was just an idea. Making it didn't cross my mind. I think I'll draw my attention on the Game Boy Atlas.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Revised Rose Town, Pipe Vault, and Yo'ster Isle maps from Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars by Peardian.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
As of today, I've mapped all the way up through the second version of Moleville, meaning I am more than halfway done with the game. I spent almost an entire day on the Coal Mines.

Why? Because I mapped out the Mole Mountain minecart minigame! All the coin and mushroom locations are shown. The last room was especially time consuming because it used tile displacement (like in Yoshi's Island when you get dizzy) to create the very smooth slopes on the rails. I had to do it adjust the tiles myself.

So yeah, on to Booster Pass!

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (64%) - PM (41%) - YI (11%) - SMRPG (51%)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Revised Rose Town (before and after Bowyer, plus a new one with the gardener's house), Moleville, Coal Mines, and Mole Mountain maps from Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars by Peardian.

This is about all I can do to celebrate MAR10 day this year.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I haven't put up Peardian's latest maps that I've received, but I just wanted to share Peardian's doodles on one of the old maps of Booster Tower that will soon be replaced...

User posted image

Cute.

Offline TerraEsperZ

That minecart map looked very good Peardian. Your efforts show :)

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Thanks. Even though it took up a good portion of the day, it was fun to do. It was definitely different from the normal maps I've handled so far. :P

And yes, I had forgotten about some of the silly things I had done with my maps. Kind of a shame they'll be replaced.

By the way, I've just mapped Star Hill! As of now, my progress in the game is equal to that of Wario Land 4! And both 64% at that! Hooray!

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (64%) - PM (41%) - YI (11%) - SMRPG (64%)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
More than that by now, of course.

Maps of the rest of Mole Mountains all the way up to Monstro Town in Land's End (oh, hey, it's Culex!) from Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars by Peardian have been put up yesterday and today.

Post #150!