Author Topic: Game Boy Game Atlas (a "continuation" of the original NES Game Atlas)  (Read 103684 times)

Offline Revned

I've actually done half of them already. I didn't think there was any hurry...

Offline Will

Alrighty then, it's time I stopped here and get back to my teenage mutant ninja turtle mapping.

Offline Will

Since I'm progressing through the second Castlevania GBC game, I wonder should both GBC games be added to the list as well?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
The Game Boy Color version of Castlevania: The Adventure is now up, though I put it under Konami GB Collection: Vol. 1 because as far as I know it was never released as a standalone cartridge.

Also, I fixed the copyright date on the original Castlevania: The Adventure.  (And on a related note renamed Contra (GB) to Operation C when I noticed it was wrong while sorting out the Konami GB Collection links.)

I'm only human, so I can make mistakes.  And I don't mind you guys correcting me, in fact, in most cases I would want you to.

Offline Will

Finally some news to brief. I have tackled the fourth and final stages of TMNT 2 and shall definitely be up within the week. The second stage may have been a pushover, but the fifth has a situation where the screen wraps (I don't have a clue where top and bottom are) and what is more has identical mirroring platforms making it impossible to locate the end from the start. I suppose I can leave it at that and resume work on TMNT III Radical Rescue.

Offline Revned

Ugh, I really need to finish Link's Awakening. I have about 5-6 hours of work left and I haven't done anything since June, apparently.

Offline Will

I've done the second act of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2. The long stretch of road was merely looping up to a point. The fifth act has a strange sort of sky area with platforms and it wraps vertically. I managed to solve that and the long stretch of platforms has been put together with the other rooms. Now the game is finally finished.

EDIT: I have been working on Radical Rescue. This is going to be one giant map because the entire game takes place in an abandoned mine. The map style is pretty much going to remind you of Castlevania. I am now about halfway done. In the Japanese version of the game there is a slightly better mini map than in other versions because it has proper icons for keycards, prison doors and bosses instead of just black dots.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:56:42 am by Will »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Game Boy Game Atlas (a "continuation" of the original NES Game Atlas)
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2012, 03:41:23 pm »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue was just completed by qwert, so we're left with just one game with no maps at all...Castlevania Legends...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:22 pm »
[...] so we're left with just one game with no maps at all...Castlevania Legends...

Since I was more than half done with it and I just hit a rather excruciating part to map in Dawn of Sorrow, I decided to finally finish this. I just made up my mind regarding the issues that made me stop mapping it in the first place so it shouldn't take more than a few days to finish.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2012, 10:19:47 pm »
Thanks for doing Castlevania Legends, Terra!  It may not exactly be the most-loved Castlevania game, but I still appreciate the maps!

I can barely call myself a mapper anymore since I never have time to, but if I did, I know putting text tips would be tricky.  I'd be overly conscious of the grammar, and just how I word things in general.  It adds a whole 'nother dimension of possible imperfection.  It's like, if a couple mappers were equally skilled, their screenshot maps should come out exactly the same, but anything "extra" like text tips would likely be different.  It could add a personal "touch", perhaps.  I don't know.  mephea (who used to come here a lot) did text tips a lot, and she seemed to really enjoy it, but it's not something everyone is comfortable doing.

Another thing is that it could take away from the "universality" of the map.  If you can do things with as little text as possible, like using icons, arrows, etc., then anyone playing any version of the game could use it.  (Assuming there aren't differences in the regional versions, like in Blaster Master, Maniac Mansion, Shatterhand, or Super Ninja Boy (incidentally, I just put up the North American overworld map of Super Ninja Boy today too).  And those are just the ones I remember off-hand.)  But there's nothing wrong with using English, this is an English-text site, after all.

To be honest, Terra, I thought those were in-game tips.  I mean that in a good way, even if it's an odd compliment considering I thought you didn't do something that you actually did?  :P

So what's left on this listing...  We've got incomplete map sets for Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening?  If they weren't sort of redundant (because of the NES and GBC versions, respectively), leaving Mario and Zelda last would be kind of weird...

Offline Revned

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2012, 12:46:36 am »
I've been halfway in the mapping mood for awhile, but haven't actually done any. I suppose I ought to finish up Link's Awakening, it's been three years! I'll try to get it done in the next week or two.

Offline Revned

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2012, 11:38:52 pm »
Done and sent to Jon. Took me a bit longer than I estimated because I ended up changing some things in my previously finished maps.

I also found several errors in my DX maps, so now I have to add that to my list of things to revisit. Sigh.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2012, 02:10:24 pm »
Thanks for the non-deluxe Link's Awakening, Revned!  That was one of the quickest updates I've ever done...copy and paste, remove "DX"s from links, and just put the correct filesize...and, done.

All that remains for this topic is the deluxe version of Super Mario Bros...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 10:23:29 am »
Also noticed that besides taking three years, your announcement of finishing that was a milestone in the sense that it was your 1000th post, Revned.  :P

Offline Will

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2017, 02:52:53 pm »
I have just submitted a map of "Magical Tetris Challenge". The GBC version has an overworld map. This is a Disney Capcom game, so I think it's fit to be a part of the  Disney Dizziness chapter.