Author Topic: Any ideas on how I can rip maps on the NEC PC-8801?  (Read 13782 times)

Offline Wario Bros

Any ideas on how I can rip maps on the NEC PC-8801?
« on: June 30, 2009, 05:46:04 pm »
Um yeah, I want to rips maps from the little known game called "Super Mario Bros. Special" for the NEC PC-8801.  However, that will be tough to do since the game doesn't have a pause button, the game doesn't save, and the emulator has no save statue feature.  So any ideas on how I can successfully rips the maps?

---

Games I'd like to rip:

The Great Giana Sisters (Commodore 64) - Super Mario Bros. Special (NEC PC-8801) - Balloon Fight GB (Gameboy Color)

Offline snesmaster

RE: Any ideas on how I can rip maps on the NEC PC-8801?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:56:21 pm »
What is the NEC PC-8801?

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:01:36 pm »
snesmaster Said:
What is the NEC PC-8801?

PC-8801 is a Japan only computer console made in the 80's.  It doesn't has as much power as an NES and was almost forgotten until someone rediscover one of its best games: "Super Mario Bros. Special"

About SMB Special.  It's a SMB game lisenced to Hudson Soft that was made between SMB1 and the Japanese SMB2.  Major differences of this game incluce items and enemies from Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong; and some stuff never seen on any other Mario games.

Just google/youtube the game and you'll get an idea of it.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:22:53 am »
You could use a screen recorder to "video" (using a lossless codec) and reconstruct it from that. It's up to you to finish the game without cheating.

Or try other emulators. There seem to be a few.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 09:56:53 am »
I downloaded the emu and game to see what it was all about.  It is like playing SMB on the Atari 2600.

I see why it was forgotten and why it never made it out of Japan.  It is hard to believe that was made after SMB for the NES and not many years before.

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 12:47:33 pm »
Well, I found out that the ESC key is pause.  But still no save state.

And I'll guess I'll try your technique Maxim.  However, I'm not that great on that game due to the physics are different from NES (and the clock drains incredibly fast).  But I'll do my best.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 05:20:09 pm »
If your lucky you can find an emulator that has a cheat search, then you could stop the timer.