Author Topic: CNN.com says that the Wii could come out in...  (Read 15620 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
CNN.com says that the Wii could come out in...
« on: July 05, 2006, 12:31:05 pm »
October.  Or possibly late September?

CNN.com article: Nintendo's Wii may get early launch

Don't know if that information is new or any more reliable than anyone else's guesses but I think the article is today's.

Apparently a month ahead of the PS3 is considered "significantly earlier".  I wouldn't call it "significantly" earlier, but I guess earlier is still better for Nintendo.

Offline Revned

RE: CNN.com says that the Wii could come out in...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 04:12:24 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised. I know the GameCube and Nintendo 64 came out around then. I don't remember when the SNES or NES came out, though.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 05:38:43 pm »
The article says the NES launched on Oct. 18, 1985.

I remember the Super NES being a summer launch, if only because Super Mario World was on the August 1991 Nintendo Power cover...at least I think it was.  I'm sure Wikipedia would say for sure.

The Nintendo 64 was released on Sept. 29, 1996 - I remember that, and am surprised that that was nearly ten years ago.

The GameCube was launced on Nov. 18, 2001...the same day as the first Canadian airing of the first of the last two ReBoot series-finishing movies.  I remember that.

A November release ensures that it's in time for the holiday season, but I think a release earlier in the autumn would give people more time to try it out beforehand - especially since this console is all about the experience.  Especially if they want the people that don't even know if they'd like games - or the people that are yet still leery about the control scheme despite the glowing reviews it generally gets from everyone who has had the opportunity to try it out already (like myself, heh).

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 09:37:19 am »
I was going to post this link, but the article pretty much just sums up what has been said before. Personally I hope its true and we'll be Wii-ing before Halloween. I plan on getting Zelda, Metroid, and Excite Truck. Rayman looks good, Red Steel I need to hear more about since there have been some concern on the controls. And I wanted a 360 based on Call of Duty alone, so that could be a contender as well.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 11:02:58 am »
Zelda and Metroid are definite purchases.  I suppose I should look at getting a multi-player game for those of my still-hesitant friends who would want to try it out, so WarioWare: Smooth Moves and Wii Sports are possibilities.

(I think "Wiiing" (with three Is and no hyphen) should be the way to spell it.  I prefer ballless, bellless, wallless, etc.  I guess it's supposed to be wall-less but I butcher the rules of English when it actually makes it more consistent.  Some of you would argue I should have said "I's" in the first sentence of this paragaph but I prefer "Is" since apostrophes aren't used in any other plurals...)

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 11:47:28 am »
How about Revolutioning?  Or is it Revolving?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 12:11:40 pm »
Assuming that Nintendo doesn't want to launch the Wii on the same week as DS games (they wouldn't want to crowd themselves), a recently released schedule for Q4 2006 shows a new DS game released by Nintendo themselves every Monday...with the exception of the two Mondays immediately after the PS3 launch, Nov. 20 and Nov. 27 (which surprises me), and the first one in Q4, Oct. 2.

Assuming Nintendo launches before the PS3, as they keep telling us they will, people seem to be betting on Oct. 2.

Though Nov. 20, one of the other "blank" days, is Mexico's Revolution Anniversary.  Which would be neat, if we lived in Mexico.

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 12:55:09 pm »
What, are you living in Canadia or something?  Is that why the dates are all backwards?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 02:25:33 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "backwards", but being Canadian, our Thanksgiving is like a month earlier than Americans', falling on what they call "Columbus Day".

If they have to launch on a Monday (which I doubt they will) then it should be that holiday Monday, Oct. 9.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 02:49:44 pm »
I think he meant backwards by DD/MM/YY instead of MM/DD/YY.

Offline Revned

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 02:51:35 pm »
Actually, "Is" is the proper way to write it. The only time you ever use apostrophes for plurals is with lowercase letters or decades (i.e. the 80's).

I probably won't get Metroid. It looks no different from the second game, which in turn looked no different from the first. Looks rather boring :/

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 08:48:45 pm »
I'd prefer not to use apostrophes even in numbers like the '80s (except for in place of the "19").

Boring?  Boring?

Smoother controls, a finale to the Phazon trilogy, cool Grapple Beam mechanics, multiple planets, Samus' ship being more than a save point, a battle with Phazon Ridley while falling down a shaft?  BORING?

Man, what would it take for the Metroid series to impress you at this point if all that doesn't?

Offline Revned

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 09:00:08 am »
A new 2D one would do the trick ;)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 10:58:49 am »
Wow, another 2D Metroid, which looks just like the others on Gameboy.

I kid. I love Metroid and I'm stoked for the new one. But still need to get the ones for the GBA.

---

Cool beans