Author Topic: (GBA) Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls  (Read 87615 times)

Offline Trop

Re: (GBA) Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 08:03:59 pm »

Offline Troy Lundin

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 09:11:43 pm »
I just noticed the first floor of the Dreadnaught doesn't have any NPCs on it. Looks like I overlooked something. :D

I'll look into it.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 07:55:19 am »
Now about Comic Sans.  This is the oldest map I ever made:
http://www.vgmapper.com/SysSNES/S/SecretofEvermoreEbonKeepSewers_02.png
Ignore the date, that's just an update, this thing was made in 03.  Back then for some reason I chose Comic as it's title.  Since they were my first I was really proud of the ensuing Evermore maps I made and so that title became my like my signature.  On all following maps my stamp became a screenshot game title followed by a Comic 22 bold area name and a Comic 12 normal "made by".

Over the years I did drift away from my stamp from time to time but then I stumbled on a web comic rant against Comic Sans.  It was so full of hate and venom, and for no reason at all.  These people talked like the font itself had actually done something to hurt them.  I was furious, It had served me so well and supported me so much.  It was like they were attacking an old friend.  As I only found more hate for it all around the net I decided to make it a my permanent stamp giving all the haters the finger and to support what had supported me.  So no, I will not part with this particular font.

Wow.  I guess I'm glad that I'm not the only one has an opinion about it, one way or another, but at the same time, as it is your personal "stamp", I guess I understand your connection to it.  I suppose you could say the same about how I insist on using Paint Shop Pro 3.11 for most of the basic graphics editing work I do, which is ancient in computer terms, as it is the first version of PSP to accept longer-than-eight-letter filenames.  We're talking "when Windows 95 was new", which probably means 1995.  :P  And I'm sure graphics editing has come a long way since then, a whopping...holy crap, 17 years ago.  I guess some of us cling to some thing.

Doesn't change my opinion on the Comic font, but I'm glad you're considerably more articulate about it, than, like I said, my former co-worker, who I have nothing against, but her insistence in using that font on forms that should have been professional-looking was never clear to me.  Must everyone explain their actions?  Maybe not.  But it still drove me up the wall.

Anyway, enough about that.

I was debating whether or not to mention in my "retrospective" what I would like to see in the next ten years, especially since I was surprised they haven't been covered in the first ten years.  If I hadn't mentioned it elsewhere already, one of those series is Final Fantasy.  Not many game series get up to XIV (or 14) not to mention several spin-offs, which makes it all the more surprising that we don't have more maps, certainly of the first six (and their rereleases), and VII-IX should be mappable, too.  Not to disavow all the hard work done so far on the games that HAVE been mapped, but for what is one of the biggest names in RPGs, and of gaming as a whole, I would have expected more interest in the series.  Thus, I applaud this effort.

Offline Trop

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 08:30:48 pm »
You know it's funny how that happens.  You always expect big names to go first but then that's not how it happens.  No new map today, got locked out of the house for 6 hours, walked out without my keys, very embarrassing, still working on Grandia in fact.

Offline Trop

Offline Trop

Offline Trop

Offline Trop

Offline ozzy88

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 12:03:59 pm »
I haven't played this one, but the maps look really good!

Also, seems like you're updating at a nice and steady pace. So it must be going smooth =)

Offline Trop

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 03:34:52 pm »

Offline Troy Lundin

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 07:17:34 pm »
I believe the most time consuming part for most mappers is the capturing process. I believe the opposite is true for me. I can capture an entire game in a day or two if I don't take any breaks. With everything captured, the rest goes together pretty painlessly.

Offline Trop

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2012, 01:23:30 pm »
With me, both capturing and assembling/polishing the maps take a lot of time. I'm just too obsessed with the most unimportant of details.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Trop

Offline Trop