Author Topic: Figure out a lock's combination in about 10 minutes  (Read 8840 times)

Offline Revned

Figure out a lock's combination in about 10 minutes
« on: July 13, 2006, 09:19:25 pm »
http://www.fusor.us/lockpick.html

Useful, eh? I tried it on a lock I have. I knew the combination already, but this method still worked.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Figure out a lock's combination in about 10 minutes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 07:40:57 am »
I remember in junior high how they were always telling us that Dudley-brand locks were preferable over Master-brand locks.

I think I found that locks (though I don't remember what brand, though I think it was Dudley, actually) had a leeway zone of about 2-3 numbers on either side of the "correct" number, meaning a range of about 5 numbers.  That would make a 60-number dial actually have about 12 combinations to try out per number.  With three numbers, and considering that you just have to turn until you get an unlock on the third one, only the first two numbers matter, meaning 144 possible combinations.  I don't know if they still make Dudley locks that way.

With enough time, any combination lock can be unlocked, so locks that require keys, or better yet, fingerprint readers, would be preferable.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 08:06:06 am »
Fingerprint readers are fairly easy to trick, especially the inexpensive ones.  Granted it requires someone lifting your print, but it can be done.

I prefer lock keys, but most inexpensive locks that are square shaped with the shackle on the top can usually be broken with a heavy blow to the top of the lock.

Locks like this really just prevent people who aren't normally theives from getting into your stuff.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 08:32:20 am »
I will confess to stealing $200 (this was back in my high school years) from a guy who was staying with us.  He came here for schooling from Hong Kong and stayed with us for a few months until he could find his own place.

I justified the thefts at the time because he was loaded and I figured he wouldn't miss a measly $200 from his always-unlocked mini-safe.  If he had bothered to lock it at all (the money was taken over a span of a few days), I probably wouldn't've done it.